• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'77 one ton - real Air Force truck?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a regular M886 Ambulance. All the branches used them. A little pricy, not sure if the wheels and tires are anything outstanding. These things are heavy and get extra poor fuel economy, but make great camping rigs.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, M886 Truck Ambulance 1 1/4 ton

extra poor fuel economy???????????????????
My M886 got 36 MP4G (miles per 4 gallons)
Where as my current (Ex Air Force) Ambulance gets 32 MP4G

saddamsnightmare

February 27th, 2010.

GoldComet6:

:ditto: The Air Force had a long tradition of using essentially civillian trucks slightly modified to meet their needs, and the M880 derivatives, like the M715 derivatives, were the first serious attempt by the military branches to come up with a lower cost vehicle for use in the states and in non combat zones. We had a 1967 Step Van (Chevrolet) with a Union City body on it, about 12 or 14' in the bed, and when gotten from DRMO (back in theearly 1970's), it had been modified with a "Follow Me" sign on the back, red and green lights (I guess for which way to turn or stop) and racks for small bombs or tanks (oxygen?) and tools in the box. Apparently it was used to guide B-52's to their revetments. The mileage was very low and the condition excellent, with only the Strata blue paint showing fading from being out in the weather a lot.

The truck above is interesting, but as it has a gas engine, it will eat fuel worse then the CUCV 1010 series ambulances. Still, a useful vehicle if it runs.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks