• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a M35A2 or M35A3?

Which is better an M35A2 or M35A3

• M35A2

Votes: 195 61.7%
  • M35A3

Votes: 121 38.3%

• Total voters

AceHigh

the A3 is powered by the Caterpillar 3116, it has more power than the multi fuels. however it was one of the worst engines CAT ever made, and like wreckerman said anything painted yellow will cost $$$ to get fixed, i can testify to that because im interning at a CAT dealer
It may not be the best engine CAT ever built but it is plenty good for our use. They were in fire trucks, boats, school buses and so on. There are lots of great testimonials on the internet if you search...

The 97 GMC C6500 I drive has the 3116 CAT in it the Engine has 383xxx miles on it Very strong to this day.. We had a 3126 in our 94 that we never had a problem with we sold that truck at 395xxx and it is still running strong for a new company south of us... Our 3116 is at 170HP I do believe and the 3126 was 190HP We have a 2000 GMC 6500 with the 3126 in it but I'm not sure of its HP I think around 190HP also that unit has 138xxx on it so far... they have all been great trucks..
I can quote many other such experiences found by searching Cat 3116 mileage

Now, our A3 trucks probably are not going to see even 100,000 miles, but to slam the engine when the multifuels have their problems too, well that is overstepping a little bit I think.

Also I keep seeing references to the 3116 being electronic. It is not.

Facts are more useful than claims. :mrgreen: And both models are great.

There were less than 6000 made, so if someone on here would buy them all they can corner the A3 market! Seriously though, if less than 6000 were made, many may be sold overseas, others may be scrapped, and so on, well these things will get scarce fast IMO.

Its all good.

DonFDNY

It may not be the best engine CAT ever built but it is plenty good for our use. They were in fire trucks, boats, school buses and so on. There are lots of great testimonials on the internet if you search...

I can quote many other such experiences found by searching Cat 3116 mileage

Now, our A3 trucks probably are not going to see even 100,000 miles, but to slam the engine when the multifuels have their problems too, well that is overstepping a little bit I think.

Also I keep seeing references to the 3116 being electronic. It is not.

Facts are more useful than claims. :mrgreen: And both models are great.

There were less than 6000 made, so if someone on here would buy them all they can corner the A3 market! Seriously though, if less than 6000 were made, many may be sold overseas, others may be scrapped, and so on, well these things will get scarce fast IMO.

Its all good.
I started this poll and got some great feedback finally pulled the tiger and bought an A3
Thanks for all your help.
Don

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of each, a 1969 Kaiser Jeep W/W and a 1998 A3 W/W. They are different vehicles. I prefer the A2, because it has a manual transmission, is multifuel and much easier to start. Parts are also much more common. I also drove A1s and A2s in the Army years ago so I'have a history with them. However, I also love my A3

bratpackdad

I have driven both on long trips, the A3 is comfortable but drives like a bus. The A2 is
more responsive, I have an air ride seat which makes all the differance. Also, off road climbing a hill there is no comparison. The A2 will climb all day the A3 doesn't come close.

Buy the A2, put Firestone T831's or singles on it. Save yourself the expense of the Cat motor. You can buy a rebuilt multi for far less then a Cat motor.

DonFDNY

I have driven both on long trips, the A3 is comfortable but drives like a bus. The A2 is
more responsive, I have an air ride seat which makes all the differance. Also, off road climbing a hill there is no comparison. The A2 will climb all day the A3 doesn't come close.

Buy the A2, put Firestone T831's or singles on it. Save yourself the expense of the Cat motor. You can buy a rebuilt multi for far less then a Cat motor.
OK, what's wrong with a bus. I drove a stock A2 and it needed everything tires seats paint no power steering probably needs new wiring harness brakes master cylinder and on and on. I restored a M37 and a M151 and I know what is involved to get it right. The government already went completely over the A3, everything is either new or rebuilt.

Attachments

bratpackdad

Nothing is wrong with a bus. If that's your interest, but I can't
drive a Blue Bird or Prevost offroad. So enjoy your under powered
over priced A3.

As far as work on the A2? Anything 40+ years old is going to need work.
That's half the reason to buy one. If you want new go buy an Oshkosh FMTV.:beer:

goodguyzy

under powered? my A3 blows the doors off my A2, they are slower on the top end, If i bought an A2 and singled it out, it would be the same price that i paid for my A3. Its been said before, let me say it again, the A2 and A3 are cousins but very different, both have pros and cons. I would like to encourage everyone once again that if they can afford to buy an A3 now, do it. There are about 5k in the country (my guess) and will be liquidated soon.

Shepdog

I worked on them for a living. JUNK, Never buy the auto. Go with the very old standard! You will be so very happy! If you have the money, Buy as many of the old parts that you can! You will make a ton of money. At work, We do not have parts any more for the 2.5. The list of items for the 2.5 will be gone soon From GOV LIQ Get it now! The price will go way-up in the near future. I know GA. is down to the last few that will be listed. I have seen no more going in the shop for 10 / 20 standard. If you can find the parts... Get them while you can.
Shepdog

Shepdog

Don't take it hard... Most people are kidding you because you are a FNG. You will find the most help here. Ask anything that you want. You will find the answer will be the best from any site that you can look at. You will have a great time here, and post many things in the future too help others. I found this out last month. I was the FNG! Thats funny to me! I worked on them for the last 20 years.. Tell me something?

Shepdog

MATT

Good choice on the A3. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions on the A3's, we build them for the fire service.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks