• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire safety.

70deuce

I've done about 10 deuce or larger tires at the other end of a 50 foot hose with a clip-on air chuck layed stem down and left that way for a few hours at rated pressure. Man are those tire explosions devasting.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those explosions aren't from improper installation, the resulting failure is from being STUPID and welding on a wheel. As the guy stated in the vid, the reason thet made the vid, is that someone ACTUALLY did this. How stupid can people be?

Guess it can be looked at from another piont of view...ridding the gene pool of defective stock.

Westex

I've welded professionally and now as a hobby since 1971; why anyone would weld on a mounted tire is beyond me. On a second note, these ring mount tires deserve our respect. I'm with the idea of filling them up with a clamp chuck and even after that I treat them gingerly until they have rolled a bit. I use a long handled 3/4 flex handle to tighten them on while standing to the side. A really looooong handle.

markmontana

Back in about 1978- I was driving home from work (late) on I-10 in downtown Baton Rouge. I saw an object in the corner of my eye- nano seconds later it hit the front windshield- center. As it partially went thru the window, it caught the roof and flew up and over the truck, I saw it rolling behind me and then bounced off the freeway. After catching my wits and kicking the glass out (on the side of the road), I went back and found the split ring. I'm sure it came off a semi that was a few hundred yards ahead of me. LOTS of damage to the company truck- I was lucky to come out of that one.

Could this be why I hate split rims....

-

I posted some of these pictures the other day in another thread so I will start over . I started to dismount a tire and wheel I picked up last year and seen the split ring not locked in the grove of the wheel this tire had 35 psi in it . I thought maybe this tire went flat and the ring was bent of damaged some time after it was removed from a truck . tonight I dismounted it all the way and found this ring was never put on right this was ran like this a long time

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you should see how bad a battery explosion is
I've taken a battery explosion right in the face. I was young and it was a stupid mistake but I suffered no major damage. While it is very dagerous, it's nothing compared to a wheel lock ring letting go. If I had been that close to a wheel comming apart, I wouldn't be here to type this.

emr

Yea like said a thousand times, as any tire and rim can be dangerous, these ring types are not , the outlawed old ones that we do not use are very dangerous, with that said anyone can make anything dangerous, just watch the video, yeesh, Now for as many years as the Military has been on the road, the soldiers have been changing tires on and off rims on and off road conditions, there has NEVER been a rash of injurys . because it is really simple to do, and like above tire and rim show, they do not come off easy at all....Heck an NDT CC can run at 15 #s pressure loaded and go thru the roughest terain, and any other tire and rim set up can only be jealous unless its a specialty tire and rim ....NDTs have more than proven themselves as the set up that is/was amazing for all they did and do.... I really do not think any other set up has the amount of tested time to even compare.....Randy

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I thought to give everyone a reminder. If you want to see a tire explode in slow motion in a cage here it is.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKlJJqHFfoQ&feature=related[/media]

panshark

My wife's cousin was changing a tractor tire last year that blew up on him while he was inflating it. The way he was twitching, the farmer thought he was dead. He survived, but it took him from a tire professional to the disability list. Tires are something that command respect and attention. Not only are those locking air chucks safer, they're dang handy to lock on and leave while you're cleaning up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks