• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Score: Tree stump (1), mule (0)

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took the mule out for a spin last night with the wife. While flying thru the high grass, a tree stump jumped up and bit the front drive side completely off the mule.:cry::cry::cry: The only thing holding the wheel and drop axle on was the tie rod.

I popped off the tie rod, had the wife sit on the opposite corner and drove her back to the house.:mrgreen:

I'll need a new housing if anyone has one...I'll also call Bill Watson later today.

Attachments

stumps

How fast were you going?

My personal rule of thumb for off road and high grass is a little plus of walking speed. Even at that slow speed, gopher holes really give the steering wheel a hearty tug.

Glad you weren't hurt.

-Chuck

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Holy moly! Was it loud?

How far in front of the mule did you land?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How fast were you going?

My personal rule of thumb for off road and high grass is a little plus of walking speed. Even at that slow speed, gopher holes really give the steering wheel a hearty tug.

Glad you weren't hurt.

-Chuck
I was in third gear high range:beer:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy moly! Was it loud?

How far in front of the mule did you land?
hard "THUMP" sound.

I did not land out front. the mule kept forward momentum and came to a hault as the front corner dipped down from my weight.

yetti96

Wow, I would have guess for more people carnage from the rapid deceleration, but sounds like it worked out in the best possible way, for crashing that is.

armytruck63

That's one wounded Mule. Hope the repairs will be easy.

On the good side, you applied that handy rust preventative solution called gear oil all over the underside of the Mule.

bugei

was that a toyota mule? there could be a big money opportunity in there somewhere.

glad no one was hurt. those abrupt stops are always no fun

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW. :shock: I hate when that happens! Let me know if you need any help.
Thanks bro...it looks like a pretty easy fix. You only have to throw money at it:grd:

update:
I contacted Bill Watson and have the drop housing, two seals and one needle bearing on the way. Everything else will be a swap out from one to the other. I'll post pics of the repair.

crankshaft45

I did the same thing here in Michigan, only took off the right side. I was able to drive it out of the woods and even drove it onto the trailer.

Bill Watson had everything to fix it. I even bent the axle and had to replace that too.

I was surprized it was only a little over $100. for the fix.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks