• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Florida - CDL - Your 5 Ton - And You

SixSpeed

Banned
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what everyone is doing for registration on 5-Tons in Florida. There are a few other threads going for other states but I couldn't find anything on Florida. Trying to figure out how I want to approach registering my truck. Thanks for any input!

Edit: I was banking on Florida having a higher weight class for a non-commercial license like other states but it doesn't look like that is the case. At least from what I have been able to find.

Edit2: I found this under "CDL Exemptions" on the Florida DMV Site:

Drivers who operate straight trucks (single units) that are exclusively transporting their own tangible personal property which is not for sale.

Last edited:

cessnatwin

register it via tallahassee! 69.95 i believe one time fee w/ antique plates! Tell them to keep it at 19995 for weight, it is not hard and the plate does not have to be renewed!

dc3coyote

Weight restrictions are going to be a issue, you can not exceed 26001 lbs as a normal driver. No exceptions since you have air over hydraulic you will not need a airbrake endorsement. to get a CDL in any state is 21 it is federal.

SixSpeed

Banned
Weight restrictions are going to be a issue, you can not exceed 26001 lbs as a normal driver. No exceptions since you have air over hydraulic you will not need a airbrake endorsement. to get a CDL in any state is 21 it is federal.
You can get a CDL @ 18. Only restriction is that you have to stay in your state until you are 21.

Csm Davis

When I did a run to Starke I called the Fldot and taked to the head of the law enforcement dept. and he told me as long as I was driveing my on truck to get my on stuff not for profit,I could be in anything up to 80000 lbs and 75 feet. No cdl

Last edited:

rwbrown72

When I did a run to Starke I called the Fldot and taked to the head of the law enforcement dept. and he told me as long as I was driveing my on truck to get my on stuff not for profit,I could be in anything up to 80000 lbs and 75 feet. No cdl
He might be right, but the state trooper won't care and will write the ticket. You might win the argument, but it will be argued in front of a judge. I'm in the same boat. I just bought a 5ton 818 and now I know the best thing to do is get a CDL class A. I didn't want to, but it is the right thing to do for me. I don't like to worry about things like this. :doh:

Just my 2cents

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess you could carry the CDL manual that has the exemptions printed in it inside the glove box.

In Ohio it is the same, no CDL for personal trucks with no commercial load.

steve

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will only be required to get a Class A, if you plan on pulling a trailer. If you keep the weight under 26K, and drive it as a single unit, you don't need the CDL.

bassetdeuce

Pctrans is correct. I have stated the same thing here. An exception would be an M818 with an M105 for a combined still less than 26000. Would this be correct?

pyrogod117

OK, Not to thread hijack, but if I get a CDL at 18 that means I can drive in-state with anything that requires the CDL. Going out of state I can only drive a normal truck/car until I'm over 21, correct?

vinny-socom1

I was under the thought that all states honor your states license rules so with that said FL allows a driver to run a truck/trailer combo under 26001lbs you should be able to go thru any state. Since your driving your truck for personal use and not for profit and you stay under the 26001lbs you should be ok. No commerce and under the weight your legal.

Vinny

rwbrown72

You will only be required to get a Class A, if you plan on pulling a trailer. If you keep the weight under 26K, and drive it as a single unit, you don't need the CDL.
Yeah... I bought an 818 tractor and would like to be able to pull a lowboy with my deuce or other equipment. I guess that means CDL for me.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what everyone is doing for registration on 5-Tons in Florida. There are a few other threads going for other states but I couldn't find anything on Florida. Trying to figure out how I want to approach registering my truck. Thanks for any input!

Edit: I was banking on Florida having a higher weight class for a non-commercial license like other states but it doesn't look like that is the case. At least from what I have been able to find.

Edit2: I found this under "CDL Exemptions" on the Florida DMV Site:

That is corect, Florida only has two types; regular license or commercial. They don't have a non-commercial class A or B. As far as the CDL exemptions I ran across that quote several years ago too. What doesn't make sense to me is that they are saying you can drive any size truck regardless of what the GVWR is with any size trailer as long as the truck itself is meant to carry cargo on it (like a flatbed or moving truck) but if the truck in question is built for the sole purpose of pulling a trailer and does not have the ability to carry cargo on it directly (like a semi truck tractor with a fifth wheel setup) and it has a GVWR over 26,000 pounds then you have to have a Class B CDL (Class A if you pull a trailer with a rating over 10,000 pounds), even if the truck is an antique and will not used to haul anything at all (i.e. it will never go over the 26,000 pound mark). That makes no sense to me at all.

I have driven through Florida with an out of state rig twice and while I didn't have any issues with Florida about needing a CDL (have even been stopped for random log book checks and when they found out I was not for hire I was let go) I did have to get something else. Because I was over 26,000 pounds I had to buy permits, one for weight and one for fuel. Some officials I talked to said that since I was not for hire I didn't need them but most most officials have said I do. On my latest trip in to Florida I got stopped at the weigh scale for not having IRP or an IFTA sticker. When I explained to the gent that I was not for profit and I was only moving my own stuff he told me that that didn't matter, I was crossing the scale at 42,000 pounds and being not for commerce didn't mean anything. I tried to argue the point with the guy but was beating a dead horse. He was just about to write me up when I pulled out my permits. Boy, did that piss him off but he couldn't do a thing about it.

I have read several different regs pertaining to this issue and it is a really gray area. Some regs mentions needing them if you are doing commerce from one region to another while other regs word it to say that if you are driving from one region to another you need IRP/IFTA or permits. I got nailed for $600 in fines in NC for not having IFTA/IRP and I was driving a truck/trailer combo that was over 26,000 pounds. It was my own truck and I was not for hire but that didn't mean anything. ATHS has been trying to get a letter from the folks at IFTA that shows antique trucks are exempt from IFTA for the last several years and have yet to get such a letter.

On top of all this if you have a deuce and a half and drive it out of state you may be in need of IFTA/IRP (or permits) due to the tandem rear axles. Even though a deuce and a half is under the 26,001 pound cutoff pertaining to CDL's the regs pertaining to IRP/IFTA say that the weight rating becomes a moot point when the truck in question has tandem axles in the rear.

He might be right, but the state trooper won't care and will write the ticket. You might win the argument, but it will be argued in front of a judge. I'm in the same boat. I just bought a 5ton 818 and now I know the best thing to do is get a CDL class A. I didn't want to, but it is the right thing to do for me. I don't like to worry about things like this. :doh:

Just my 2cents
I had this arguement many times with different scale officials during cross country trips and while I had several tell me I was not properly licensed I never had one write me a ticket. At the time I was licensed for Virginia and when the scale officials brought up my lack of a Class A CDL I told them Virginia followed federal guidelines about CDL's and that since I was not for hire I didn't need one. Even had copies of the regs to prove it but it all fell on def ears. They kept telling me I was wrong but that they weren't going to cite me for it. They seemed more worried about whether I had IRP or IFTA then they did about my license.

I don't think 26,000 pounds is an issue. From what the Florida DMV web site indicates is that as long as the truck can carry cargo on it directly then the GVWR does not mean anything and you can have as heavy a truck as you want and carry as much stuff as you want without needing a CDL. Plus it sounds like you can tow a trailer with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds as long as the truck doing it is not a tractor trailer truck. The fun part is while I have read this on the Florida DMV web site I have yet to come across this in the state statutes. All I have found in the statutes is that a CDL is required (based on GVWR) if you are in commerce. If you are not for hire then no CDL is needed regardless of what kind of truck you are driving. I have yet to find anything in the statutes that says you must have a CDL for a tractor/trailer combo if you are not for hire.

Anyhow, back to the original question about registration. You have three different options in Florida.

1.) You can go with permanent antique tags. Pay one fee and that's it. The catch is you are restricted as far as what you use the vehicle for.

2.) Annual antique tags. Looks like the permanent antique tag but has an annual sticker on it and must be renewed every year. The plus side is there is no restriction pertaining to use. Drive it as much as you want, can even use it as a daily driver. The down side is if the vehicle's empty weight is 5,000 pounds or more you must pay for a weighted tag. This means you have to pay for registration based on how much weight you plan on hauling/towing with the truck. The cost can start to add up real quick with a weighted tag.

3.) The last option is to just get regular tags. They are weighted tags too (based on the same weight rate that would be used for option 2 above) but may be a few bucks cheaper the option 2 as you don't have to pay the extra fee for the antique plate.

Ruppster

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pctrans is correct. I have stated the same thing here. An exception would be an M818 with an M105 for a combined still less than 26000. Would this be correct?
In regards to the M818 with an M105 if you go by what the Florida DMV web site says I don't think that is correct. Since the M818 is a tractor and not meant to haul cargo on it directly according to the DMV web site it needs at least a Class B license. With a Class B you can not tow a trailer with a rating in excess of 10,000 pounds. But as I mentioned in my reply above I have not yet found where this is stated in the statutes. As far as I can tell according to the Florida statutes a CDL is not needed for even a tractor trailer truck either as long as it is for personal use. State statutes contradict what the DMV web site says.

OK, Not to thread hijack, but if I get a CDL at 18 that means I can drive in-state with anything that requires the CDL. Going out of state I can only drive a normal truck/car until I'm over 21, correct?
If you are truly driving a truck in commerce that is correct. The gray area is what requres a CDL. Many states don't require a CDL if it is a personal truck and you are not for hire. So the 18/21 issue mainly applies to those driving as their job.

I was under the thought that all states honor your states license rules so with that said FL allows a driver to run a truck/trailer combo under 26001lbs you should be able to go thru any state. Since your driving your truck for personal use and not for profit and you stay under the 26001lbs you should be ok. No commerce and under the weight your legal.

Vinny
The issue is not being under 26,001 pounds actual weight. If your GVWR (not actual weight) is under 26,001 pounds you are fine and there is very little issue with that. The trick is if the GVWR's exceed the 26,000 pound mark the need for a CDL becomes a big question. By federal standards a CDL is not needed at all regardless of weight as long as you are driving a personal truck and not for hire. But many weigh scale officials only know how to enforce commercial laws and see every truck with a rating over 26,000 pounds as a commercial vehicle, even if the vehicle is not for hire. Most of them don't know how to handle a not for hire truck.

Yeah... I bought an 818 tractor and would like to be able to pull a lowboy with my deuce or other equipment. I guess that means CDL for me.
Would check with the state statutes first. As I mentioned above from what I have read so far I think you should be able to drive even an M818 with trailer with just a regular Florida license as long as you are not for hire.

Ruppster

oldMan99

I see this thread is several months old but maybe some of the original posters are still around...

3 questions here...

1: I see a lot of trucks with "NOT FOR HIRE" on them, almost always on the right side of the truck (I assume so the scale guys can see it as you blow by). Does putting this on a duce or 5 ton have any advantage/legal standing?

2: Outside the debate of if you actually need a CDL or not, assuming you go get one just to be safe side. And assuming that whoever pulls you over for whatever reason believes you need the CDL, are you then also expected to have a log book and follow the hours on/off like the "real" CDL drivers?

3: Comment first: According to this website ( Prevost – Passenger coaches and bus shells manufacturer ) The big Bus type RV's have a GVWR in the area of 54,500lbs. With a regular "Civilian" "Generic" "Basic" DL you can drive one of these buses with a 30' stacker trailer (These trailers can weigh 20,000lbs++) for a total of 70,000++ pounds. A 16 year old the day he gets his DL can drive this monster combo on any public road without any LEO even thinking twice about it.

The questions:

"Question A" I know this will not apply to a MV like the 916 but anything with a box on it "Could" be used as an RV so, why not register it as an RV? Would that work? Any downside to doing it?

"Question B - Part 1" In regards to the MV "Tractors" (Like the 916) If you don't have to take it the DMV for a visual inspection they will never see it so you could probably register it as an RV??

"Question B - Part 2" You can get a Freightliner FL50, 60 or 70 (And possibly larger) easily registered as an RV if you tel them it is going to be used NON-Commercially to haul the 5th wheel camper you are planning to buy. Why can't you do the same thing with your M916 by telling them it is to haul the new 30ft 5th wheel RV trailer you plan to purchase or even register your M816 wrecker by telling them it is for towing the 30ft bumper pull RV trailer you plan to purchase to use on your Alaskan off road camping trip.?

Comments?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks