• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF-97, *exactly* what is it?

namedpipes

Is the SF-97 the form used to apply for the military's title for the vehicle?

Or is the SF-97 the military title sent to you after applying for it?

Is the document you get actually a title, a certificate of origin, a bill of sale?

I guess what I'm asking is exactly what gets sent back to you when your sf-97 is granted?

wsucougarx

An SF-97 is basically like a Bill of Sale where the gov't is releasing it's asset. If you buy through GL, they will send you one at YOUR request. You just take the SF-97 along with your PAID IN FULL invoice (no need to pay your sales tax twice if that applies to you) to the DOL and get your title transferred to your name and get your truck/trailer registered

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
It looks like a title but is a just a "certificate to obtain a title to a vehicle". Motor vehicles will use it as proof of ownership and issue a title or transferable registration in your state.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the SF-97 the form used to apply for the military's title for the vehicle?

Or is the SF-97 the military title sent to you after applying for it?

Is the document you get actually a title, a certificate of origin, a bill of sale?

I guess what I'm asking is exactly what gets sent back to you when your sf-97 is granted?
The Standard Form 97 aka. SF-97, is a Certificate to Obtain Title. Think of it as a Government version of a Certificate of Origin. Since Government vehicles where never titled, there has to be a way to title the vehicle.

Depending upon which state you live in, when you pay $60 to GL, fill out the information for them, wait your 30+ days, they will send you either:

A.) a SF-97 made out to them and a transfer of ownership to you. You then take all of that to your state DVM and pay more money for a title.

B.) If you live in a state where they don't like SF-97s, GL will send you a Florida Title (with thier name on it and signed over to you). You take that title to your DMV and pay more money for a title.

Oklahoma accepts SF-97s and the transfer paper. Some tag agents don't have a clue what to do with it....:roll:

namedpipes

A.) a SF-97 made out to them and a transfer of ownership to you. You then take all of that to your state DVM and pay more money for a title.

B.) If you live in a state where they don't like SF-97s, GL will send you a Florida Title (with thier name on it and signed over to you). You take that title to your DMV and pay more money for a title.
I saw some threads talking about the FL titles!

So I'll either get an SF97 or a title depending on whether Mass is bright enough to accept the SF97. AMzing how many ways different groups can charge fees for the same thing.

Whatever way is most difficult, expensive and time consuming will be the way Mass does it, that much is sure!

bogshotrods

Is it typical for GL to take up to 30 + days, don't want to get caught in Ca by the CHP and also I can't get this truck insured with out a VIN number, so first I need it titled and a VIN created before I can get insurance. How do I insure this Beast, talked to Allstate where I have daily drivers insured and they don't do anything over a 2 ton commercial truck

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It takes however long it takes to get a SF-97. Sometimes a week and sometimes months.

What do you mean about "creating" a VIN? That is illegal. All trucks come from the manufacturer with a VIN.

DO NOT start an insurance thread. Your post will be deleted. Read the Insurance stickies

bogshotrods

It takes however long it takes to get a SF-97. Sometimes a week and sometimes months.

What do you mean about "creating" a VIN? That is illegal. All trucks come from the manufacturer with a VIN.

DO NOT start an insurance thread. Your post will be deleted. Read the Insurance stickies

All I find on this truck (M923A2) is a manufacturer number and don't see a "VIN " number on anything so if you can help me fin that I would appreciate it. In Ca if there's no manufacturer VIN number the truck has to be inspected at the DMV then the DMV issues a new VIN, so now I'm really confused and sorry for asking about WHO insures em, newbe here

zout

A Standard Form 97 (The United States Government Certificate to Obtain Title to a Vehicle) and a Purchaser's Receipt will be issued to the buyer of each motor vehicle sold. A Purchaser's Receipt only will be issued for property other than vehicles. The SF-97 is not a motor vehicle registration. It is evidence of title only and is to be used by the purchaser to obtain a proper state motor vehicle registration. The SF-97 in no way serves as a waiver for payment of registration fees, nor county or State taxes assessed to the vehicle, subsequent to its purchase. The SF-97 is accepted in all 50 states and U.S. territories. The Government makes no claims as to the acceptance of this Standard Form outside of these areas Note: There are times when buyers require/request a duplicate copy of the SF 97. Any request for a duplicate SF-97 must be made in writing to the Contracting Officer of record. Please be advised there may be a fee associated with this request.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
All I find on this truck (M923A2) is a manufacturer number and don't see a "VIN " number on anything so if you can help me fin that I would appreciate it. In Ca if there's no manufacturer VIN number the truck has to be inspected at the DMV then the DMV issues a new VIN, so now I'm really confused and sorry for asking about WHO insures em, newbe here
The black data tag on the right side of the dash should have an Identification # that is the VIN and just below that is the year of your truck. The ID# on the tag should match the one on your frame.To help you find it on the frame go here

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?102732-M923A2-VIN-question

vin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Docluvstrucks

A Standard Form 97 (The United States Government Certificate to Obtain Title to a Vehicle) and a Purchaser's Receipt will be issued to the buyer of each motor vehicle sold. A Purchaser's Receipt only will be issued for property other than vehicles. The SF-97 is not a motor vehicle registration. It is evidence of title only and is to be used by the purchaser to obtain a proper state motor vehicle registration. The SF-97 in no way serves as a waiver for payment of registration fees, nor county or State taxes assessed to the vehicle, subsequent to its purchase. The SF-97 is accepted in all 50 states and U.S. territories. The Government makes no claims as to the acceptance of this Standard Form outside of these areas Note: There are times when buyers require/request a duplicate copy of the SF 97. Any request for a duplicate SF-97 must be made in writing to the Contracting Officer of record. Please be advised there may be a fee associated with this request.
How come there is no SF 97 listed in the great big book of Standard Forms?

https://www.opm.gov/forms/standard-forms/

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/forms/type/SF

Dosen't even come up in the obsolete forms.

Also, I recently bouhgt a deuce that was never registered and has been through three onwers before me. All I got was a Bill of Sale on a official California pre-print Bill of Sale form signed by guy I bought it from and myself. Vehicle registration service (Not DMV) here in Cali is looking at me like I got something growing out of my forhead.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The form exists, but they keep them behind proverbial lock and key. Back when I was in the army, I accidentally ordered some, and I got some WTF are you doing ordering those type emails.

Docluvstrucks

The form exists, but they keep them behind proverbial lock and key. Back when I was in the army, I accidentally ordered some, and I got some WTF are you doing ordering those type emails.
Ahhhh! Kinda like a DD1289. That is the form number for the doctors prescription pad. Hence a controlled item.

Hawssie

I see this posting is a little old, but I had a question, As far as a the SF 97 is concerned, according to the info on GL auctions, it seems to say they wont give you a SF97 if the lot number of the vehicle in question is greater then 600. Every vehicle I seem to run across is greater then 600. Does that mean these vehicles cant be titled?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They have gone into the 10,000s now and have not updated their website. Ignore the 6000 comment on their site.

deoppressoliber

YES SIR some states like MI will create a new 17 digit VIN using some form of the original VIN.... beginning with middle or ending with again depending on your state DMV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks