• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'Correct' paint, incorrect tires.. how'd it look?

Haggar

Silly question, really. I'm thinking this summer I might get out and do some rust repair and a repaint on my truck. Given that its a 1971(standard M35A2), I was thinking that a somewhat 'period correct' OD paint job would look cool. I love the look here in this thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/20875-another-yellow-nosed-deuce-around-now.html

My dumb question: how do you guys think this would look with modern 395's on it? Cool or out of place? I don't know that I've seen one with OD+white graphics and the larger tires. All the ones I see are camo. (I'd need to swap my tri color canvas & top for OD...) Currently, I'm light green, which doesn't match the green in my tri-color tops, anyway.

Maybe I should go look at some modified M715s or M37s, I see more of those in the OD/White Star paint, than I do the deuces...

Attachments

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it will look like this but with a deuce instead of a M813a1.
Do it.........[thumbzup]
You know you want to.....
Do cae about what the other kids think, it's your toy.

Gotta get that shutter fixed.
Camera spent to many years in the desert at Burning Man.
Looks like it was taken covertly.

Attachments

Last edited:

dittle

It all depends on how "original" you want the truck to look. 395's are not going to make the look.

gunner01

Its your truck do what you want to do. All any of us could do is offer opinions on our own personal likes and dislikes... Be unique put tracks on the back half, chrome stacks,aluminum wheels,stereo,fuzzy dice, and paint her PINK...Its up to you

emr

Keep both sets of tires NDTCC s and the 395s, i have been known to change from the biggys back to NDCCs , It is a fun way to keep the conversation up over the years on ones truck, But as much as i like the big tires, i am one of those guys who thinks a Military truck has NDTs... Like said above and well agreed here it is your truck, but alot of us do like to see the history preserved as much as possible, thanks for the post...

Heavysteven

Each person has there own opition. I love the CARC 3 camo and the NDT aren't great in the looks or traction department. I mean i just don't care for the od green with white stars.

My thoughts :beer:

vtdeucedriver

Each person has there own opition. I love the CARC 3 camo and the NDT aren't great in the looks or traction department. I mean i just don't care for the od green with white stars.

My thoughts :beer:

Good thread!!!! To each his own. I personally dont like big single tires and 3 color camo.

I am too proud to show my babies!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: emr

Haggar

Forgot the pics!!!!! Here is my site
Rolling Line Haul Museum

If you go the Vietnam route, send me a e mail and I will help you make sure its right!!
vtdeucedriver@yahoo.com

Thanks for the pics, gorgeous!

Yes, those are just the look I am going for. By no means a perfect resto, just figure it could use rust cleanup and paint, anyway, so thats the look I really like, and it is, in theory, 'correct' for what my truck would have come with originally.

For me, my main hobby building 4x4s, so I'm used to lots of big-tire'd vehicles. I also live where we get a big snowstorm or two a year and I usually fire up my biggest Jeep and go spend 4 hours pulling people out of ditches, for fun. I think big modern singles will do better than the stock dual NDTs, although we usually don't have more than 12-16" in the road, either probably would do the job.

saddamsnightmare

March 29th, 2010.

VTDEUCEDRIVER:

Love those Vietnam painted deuces and the M151, some fellas have all the right toys.... They look good, so they are good. Is the tractor a 2-1/2 or 5 ton? (I don't want to lose my message going back and looking) I always find it interesting that most stock M37's do worse on the mileage then the M35A2's.... (and I did drive an M37 that Brooke County(W.Va.) Sheriff's Dept had.... I preferred the M715 that the CD director had, it was faster and rode better, but then I not an Iron Butt.....

For the OP, do what you gotta do, as long as it's reversible (one of these days dueces aren't gonna be a dime a dozen.....).

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:smile:

vtdeucedriver

March 29th, 2010.

VTDEUCEDRIVER:

Love those Vietnam painted deuces and the M151, some fellas have all the right toys.... They look good, so they are good. Is the tractor a 2-1/2 or 5 ton? (I don't want to lose my message going back and looking) I always find it interesting that most stock M37's do worse on the mileage then the M35A2's.... (and I did drive an M37 that Brooke County(W.Va.) Sheriff's Dept had.... I preferred the M715 that the CD director had, it was faster and rode better, but then I not an Iron Butt.....

For the OP, do what you gotta do, as long as it's reversible (one of these days dueces aren't gonna be a dime a dozen.....).

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:smile:
The tractor is a M52A2 and thats a 5 ton.

vtdeucedriver

Are u OR maybe I should say Would U be able to be persuaded to make to NJ !!!!! I LOVE your trucks :beer:,,, Come and hang with us early with that tractor..... :beer:
I would like to but since my illness, I need to get back to work for a while.
One of these days I do want to get down there and hang out with Ed and the boys with the Gun Trucks!!! But that will come in AUG in Carlisle PA!!

dittle

Thanks for the pics, gorgeous!

. I also live where we get a big snowstorm or two a year and I usually fire up my biggest Jeep and go spend 4 hours pulling people out of ditches, for fun. I think big modern singles will do better than the stock dual NDTs, although we usually don't have more than 12-16" in the road, either probably would do the job.

Just throw some weight in the back and you'll do just fine with either tire setup. No weight and you might as well stay home with the truck or get a winch and anchor point to tie to as all you will do is spin the tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks