• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M38A1

sandrider

I just bought a 1961 M38A1 with the F-134 motor I want to add a oil filter to it ,but need some Pictures and info on where to install the oil lines and other info I might need to do it. Thanks :idea:

aaron92685

Went camping this weekend did not work on the M38A1 But did get the passenger side seat and cushion. So some time this week I will get it painted and installed. I will post pics when I get there. Here is the manual I used to figure out were everything including where the oil lines should go. http://ia331404.us.archive.org/1/items/M38a1EngineAndClutchManual/M38a1-engineClutch.pdf if you need more pics I can take some and post them up.

aaron92685

Well last night I was painting the latch for the hood that bolts to the windshield frame and I here knocking on the door. At first I think it is going to me the maint. man that works here "he is always complaining that I have a Jeep in my garage he calls it a contraption" But anyways so I answer the door and it was the police asking me if I was alright.... I said "ya why" He said "oh someone called and said they saw my garage door half way open and smelt paint and thought someone was dead in there" I said no but he could come in and look... What a random night. :|

aaron92685

I need to get a voltage regulator. Mine dose not have one. I see there is two types. what one do I need to get?

Thanks
Aaron

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have tossed the alternator shown in page one of this thread and replaced it with the correct Autolite or Delco-Remy 25 amp generator, you will need the 25 amp regulator to go with it. It mounts on the frame platform near the starter. There are mechanical regulators by Autolite and Delco, and solid state regulators by numerous mfgrs. I recommend the solid state type. Many parts dealers have them new and used, as they were used for about 30 years on many 24 volt vehicles.

aaron92685

I am watching a used mechanical regulator on Ebay but I don't want to spend 60 bucks with shipping and get it and it not work. Is there anyway to bench test them? I am collecting all the parts to convert it back over to 24 volts. I don't see as point to have a M38A1 with a 12v system I might as well just got a CJ5. That is just my thought. So far I got new wiring, oil pressure sensor, starter and Dis. Still need the generator, gen regulator, Gauges and new tail lights. If anyone has any of those parts that they don't need let me know. Thanks for the help!

Aaron

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's an idea, I don't know if you have any junk yards in Phoenix that have any old military trucks such as M-37's, M135's, M-35's etc, these all use the same generator set up. The generator is like about 60 lbs and not cheap to ship. Repairing the mechanical voltage regulators seems to be a lost art.

aaron92685

The ones I see on eBay go for a arm and a leg for shipping. I have a number to a guy that sells Willy's jeep parts here. I just need to find it and see what he has. Is there any info out there on repairing the mechanical regulator? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

aaron92685

Could someone post up some pics of a M38A1 frame with the front bumper removed. I am trying to rebuild my frame ends up front. Someone cut them all up it looks like.

Thanks

Aaron

aaron92685

Thanks that is just what I needed. Someone before me cut the frame off right were it raises up were the bumper mounts so they could mount some channel iron as a bumper. :evil: every time I take something off I find something more messed up.

aaron92685

So I got the M38A1 put together enough to drive around the parking lot. Took it out for a spin and the thing smokes like a chimney. Well I guess I am going to rebuild the engine. But my question is, are the military F-134 engines the same as the CJ5 F-134 as far as the internals go? I would think they are, but never know.

Thanks

Aaron

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I believe the internals are the same...................................

modified

first, Do you possess all necessary M38A1 manuals?

you can download concise collection of ref material and ord Manuals here:
Willys M Jeeps - Access Denied

give this a read Aaron, your quest will be answered.
G503.com Message Forums • View topic - CJ F134 in a M38A1

have you pulled the head off your motor yet? has it been milled, rather rebuilt already?

before you go spend money, do some investigation.
-white smoke ? coolant (water steam)
-blue smoke? oil
-black smoke? fuel (too rich)

look for bubbles in rad... during operating temp 160-180 deg. (head gasket.)

re-torque head bolts to spec
vacuum check ...
compression check. both wet and dry.

let us know. :beer:

aaron92685

first, Do you possess all necessary M38A1 manuals?

you can download concise collection of ref material and ord Manuals here:
Willys M Jeeps - Access Denied

give this a read Aaron, your quest will be answered.
G503.com Message Forums • View topic - CJ F134 in a M38A1

have you pulled the head off your motor yet? has it been milled, rather rebuilt already?

before you go spend money, do some investigation.
-white smoke ? coolant (water steam)
-blue smoke? oil
-black smoke? fuel (too rich)

look for bubbles in rad... during operating temp 160-180 deg. (head gasket.)

re-torque head bolts to spec
vacuum check ...
compression check. both wet and dry.

let us know. :beer:
Blue smoke, oil in exhaust, oil on #1 plug other 3 plugs had burnt oil. It is defiantly burning oil..I do have a bunch of the manuals I downloaded them when I first got it. As for the bubbles I went to go look and I popped the hood and noticed my oil pressure line to the oil filter was rubbing against the fan belt and was leaking oil. So my fun stopped there. I put a temp fix on it, I want to drive it around some more before I tear into it. When i bought this the guy told me it did not smoke at all but no way to show me because it did not run... Oh well I enjoy working on things. Some pics of the temp fix.

Attachments

Last edited:

modified

you got oil and not fuel on the plugs? I'd torque the head down to spec and do a vac check and then compression. how was your oil psi at operating temp? how's your running temp?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks