• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering a HMMWV in CA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maynard83

I have had great luck registering deuces at the AAA By John Wayne Airport. The guy to talk to over there is Kirk and they also can inspect them. It is way easier then the DMV.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. That is good to know. is that the one on Birch Street?
It will be an interesting ride on the Toll Road... 8)

Last edited:

Haasino

Just realized I never came back to update my registration status...

So after being more or less jerked around for 6 months by the title company that assured us it would be "no problem" to title and register the Humvee, they finally stopped returning our calls all together about 3 months back. Last we had heard, the 17 digit VIN they had given it was rejected by several states, and they were jumping around trying to find a state that would work. After they stopped returning any calls all together, we told them to refund our money, and I decided to try my luck locally.

So with nothing more than a notarized bill of sale for the vehicle, I decided to drive up into the foothills and stop by a smaller DMV to see what kind of nightmare I was going to be in for. I went in on a Wednesday afternoon, and there was no line whatsoever. The woman at the counter didn't bat an eye when I told her I wanted to title a military Humvee that had never been titled or registered previously. She gave me an application for a vehicle title, and the business card of the local CHP VIN inspector... said I'd need to have him do a VIN inspection and create a "point of origin" for the vehicle.

2 weeks later I had the Humvee towed up to the CHP station for the inspection. The CHP officer had no issue accepting the bill of sale and, after a call to DMV, entered it into the system as a 1991 AMG Utility.

After that, he came out to inspect the vehicle... that consisted of glancing at the data plate, inspecting the EPA sticker on the engine, and checking a few spots to see if there were any conflicting serial numbers. Finding none, he asked me where I wanted the new VIN plate installed, and I told him to put it on the dashboard so it would be visible to anyone looking in the front window.

With the VIN Inspection done, I headed back to DMV. Walking in, I told the lady "I'm the guy with the Humvee", and she immediately sent me to a window. I turned in the paperwork, paid the $2,100ish title/registration fees (F@#% California!:evil:), and was handed a set of plates.

I was truly shocked... just like that... I went up with nothing but a crappy bill of sale that was designed in MS Word, and 3 hours later I walked out with license plates and registration. The title arrived in the mail about 2 weeks later. Now I'm just trying to get Wawanesa to insure the thing...

So for anyone wondering how hard it is to title and register a Humvee in California, my answer is... not hard at all! 8)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FkRCPrP7Ik[/media]

Attachments

Last edited:

papaydsailor

Im happy for you that you finally got your humvee registered in california. now you can join us at SCMVCC meeting and swapmeet this coming sunday here at scmvcc.0catch.com/ so you could see ours and we could see your humvee. the swapmeet has a lot of humvee parts to sell. mine is similar to yours except for the aircon. the club has a lot of activities for you and your MV to enjoy from parades, shows,camping,airsoft war games,yearly camp dirtbag and convoy trips to ghost town and military bases. i use mine to volunteer at asuza canyon forest service to use their OHV and other national park services for free

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Papay, he's a tad far north to make it to the meet. You gonna be there? If so, see ya there!!

saddamsnightmare

November 10th, 2015.

In regards to answer in Post No. 10, altering the VIN will be both a Federal and State offense, if you want to go into Folsom or San Quentin, that will get you a very quick and relatively free ticket. No matter what your company does to a 1991, as the Navy sold it as residue or scrap, you are very unlikely to get any on road title for it because of its origin, and moreso due to the later from AM General alluded to above.

I wish you luck, but I am not particularly optimistic on your titling it in the US.:???:

Styk33

0 Star General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread was almost five years old. Just an FYI for folks that didn't look at the year and plan on commenting.

BnaditCorps

Sounds like you got lucky, my dad had to wait 6-9 months for DMV to renew his license..... a condition of employment for him. That includes 2 extentions. Long story short DMV is not highly regarded for efficiency and helpfulness in my family.

When I get a deuce and register it i think i will try to find the LEAST busy DMV in the area and register it there, go in with all the paperwork ready, cool-head, every ounce of luck that i can find, and a herd of goats to sacrifice to the DMV gods so i am in and out quick.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No biggie, rent a trailer and put it on. Drive it to CA.

HMMWV titling discussions are frowned upon here as they are almost always wrong.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Three things.

1. The OP has not been on the site since 9/18/2012.

2. The best way to get the HMMWV from WA to CA is to trailer it down if you bought it at an auction.

3. Posting message after message after message begging for help isn't the way to do it. Members don't sit on the site waiting to answer your question. They get on and off.

That is a polite hint.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
closed. Read the forum rules and the HMMWV sticky about titling a HMMWV. No need to rehash a 5 year old thread with out dated intel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks