• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ROLL CALL: "West Texas Detachment" Identify Yourselves, Please.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slate,
Welcome aboard :grin: Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Glad you signed up.

-----------------------------------

Now it's time to test for any interest in having a West Texas Detachment get together.
Throw in your thoughts, ideas, possible sites, meet & greet, or other level of gathering, etc., etc., etc..

tukool

OK, Steel Soldiers...

SPEAK UP if you are one of the (unofficial) west Texas Detachment members !

If you are based in the west Texas area, sign up here.

If you are generally located in the "isolated" regions of west Texas - west of the I-35 Corridor, south of the Panhandle, east of the New Mexico border, and North of the Rio Grande - then you've probably noticed that other members are as few and far between as the towns we live in.

(If you look at the Old Steel Soldiers Site and glance at the Member Map, you'll see the area.... there are almost NO DOTS !) http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=GoogleMap (Y'all in southeastern New Mexico are "qualified", too!)

This thread is where you can speak up and identify yourselves for the rest of us. Let's establish a "composite unit" of us isolated and scattered SS Members.

[edit: added new MAP link...]
SS West Texas Detachment Member Map - Google Maps

I'll start it:

John Bariou (& Dianna)
San Angelo, Tom Green County, Texas

---> Add your name and location (include City/County please) <---

NOTE:

I will update the list every once in while as a printable roster for everyone.
Here!
Gary Cobb,
Plano, Collin County, TX.
93' Bobbed Deuce
3 Harley's
1 Suzuki Vstrom
1 Dodge Ram
1 1983 Mercedes 300D
1 1948 Stinson Airplane

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David Syler, wife Roxanne, children Nina and Chase. Lake Jackson, Texas. South of Houston on 288.

Here!
Gary Cobb,
Plano, Collin County, TX.
93' Bobbed Deuce (for sale)
3 Harley's
1 Suzuki Vstrom
1 Dodge Ram
1 1983 Mercedes 300D (for sale)
1 1948 Stinson Airplane

Welcome aboard, Gentlmen and your families.

:-D :driver: (y)

tukool

Whoa...I missed that Stinson on the first pass:

- Sweet!

What's the story behind that, like how did you decide on THAT airframe?
I found it in Trade-a-Plane. It had four seats and in my price range. I bought it before learning how to operate a tail dragger.
Took a couple of weeks training. Imagine riding a tricycle backwards at 70 mph. When it is in the air, its just about like any other high wing airplane of equal size.

Another Ahab

I found it in Trade-a-Plane. It had four seats and in my price range. I bought it before learning how to operate a tail dragger.
I bet she's a gas!!

That was mighty game of you to tackle the "tail dragging".

I got half-way to a glider's license as a young buck, but then ran out of time and money. That was that.

But pretty hard to beat the thrill of flight. It's fun!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took a couple of weeks training. Imagine riding a tricycle backwards at 70 mph. When it is in the air, its just about like any other high wing airplane of equal size.

UH..... We'd all love to see pictures..... nopics

rofl

Another Ahab

I bet she's a gas!!

But pretty hard to beat the thrill of flight. It's fun!
I need to qualify that "fun" comment, per the remark once of my former flight instructor:

- "It's always better to be DOWN here wishing you were up there, than to be UP there wishing you were down here."

Here's a pic for starters

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks