• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifting a Bobbed Deuce

Ridgerunner

I bobbed my deuce last spring, and I had bought a set of 53" XZL's towards the end of last summer. The tires have just been sitting in my barn doing nothing, other than collecting dust and taking up space.

So this week I started to make the lift so the 53's will fit on the Deuce. It'll be lifted a total of 8 inches when finished, which should provide plenty of clearance, without any worries about the tires rubbing the fenders or J-pipe. I'm making it so it will be a complete bolt on "kit", that way if I don't like it, or want to remove it for some reason, it can be unbolted and then the original brackets/hangers can be reinstalled back to stock.
The drop brackets consist of 2 1/2"x 3/8" flat, 3x3"x 3/8" angle and 3/8" plate for the sides. 10 bolts will hold the drop brackets to the frame, using six of the original bolt/rivet locations. The very front, and far rear drop brackets will be connected across together with 1/4" plate bent at 70 degrees, so it'll bolt to the brackets and under the frame. In the front I designed it so the cross member plate will use the exsisting winch extention bolts under the frame.

This is what I built today so far.

Attachments

chaplain

Is it just me or is that some really nice fab work. those welds look pretty good too. I am sure that I speak for all when I Say that finished picks are expected. please please.

Please tell me why the relief cuts in the bottom of the shackle mounting bracket?

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Looks good
Are you going to use the stock location and what about the drive shafts?

If the drive shafts are too short after the lift is installed, I'll lengthen two other drive shafts that I have around. That way I'll still have the original stock length shafts, if the lift ever gets pulled off.

Ridgerunner

I don't think you have near enough tool boxes.:grd:
What are you my wife....LOL, that sounds like some thing she might sayrofl

Buying tools over the last 20years adds up. Nothing more frustrating than not having the proper tool, for the job at hand.

Now, if I only knew how to use the tools in them boxes and learn how to weld, I'd be all set. :)

Ridgerunner

What is that steel man holding the box in the background? I have seen something like it before used as a store display.
I have a small bench top parts washer that was always getting moved around the shop. It never realy had it own permanent place, so I made a holder for it. Instead of just making a small boring table, I decided to give it some personality. I built it about ten years ago.

Attachments

gtsig

I have a small bench top parts washer that was always getting moved around the shop. It never realy had it own permanent place, so I made a holder for it. Instead of just making a small boring table, I decided to give it some personality. I built it about ten years ago.
WOW that is really cool. You should make them and sell them. I bet you will make a killing off them. If you do I want one

Ridgerunner

I had some more time to get a little more work done.

To save on time, and keep all the drop brackets symetrical, I made a transfer-punch template for all the bolt holes and then made a simple weld jig fixture as well.

When I made the first bracket, I sanded the welds smooth. I could have just kept the welds visible, but after having sanded the first one alreadyaua, ment that the other seven had to be done to match. Sometimes I like looks of a welded piece.

Attachments

Ridgerunner

All the drop brackets are done, other than drilling the spring hanger holes. The two brackets closest in the picture, with the cutouts in the top. They are the far front brackets, and the cutout is for clearance for the fender strut/brace.

Now that all the welding is done, I'll see how much I can get done this weekend on it.

Attachments

Ridgerunner

Very nice. What are your plans for steering?

I'm going to either go full hydraulic with an orbital valve, or use a hydro steering box off a Ford F-600 / F-700.

I have a few orbital valves and pumps already here, and access to a heavy equipment/truck scrapyard. So we'll see when I get that far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks