• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifting a Bobbed Deuce

rustystud

I know this thread is on lifting bobbed Deuces, but are there any pictures and build ideas/methods on lifting a non-bobbed 3 axle M35A2 with 395's/46 inch tires that just barely fit on the rear tandems?
There are several reasons not to do this. One front end stability, ie" steering issues. You can get away with a bit of funny business on the front axle, but too much and your steering geometry goes out the window. Real hard to correct it.
Second and possibly the strongest reason not to lift is the rear floating suspension system. With the torque rods and the floating spring system you are looking at major surgery on the truck. The torque rods need to be extended first off, then the spring perch needs to be remounted. Not a small issue. Then even if you did "everything" correctly your looking at rear end stability issues. The center of gravity has risen well above safe standards. You can no longer "safely" scale hillsides or traverse gulley's without the constant fear of tipping over.
But hey, it's your truck. Do what makes you happy !

Shane 1971 M35A2

Thanks for input on 3 Axle lifted M35A2. I am in the thinking it over phase, and if you could just lower the whole tandem rear assembly as a unit, and then use Black Rock Fab. front spring mounts, widen the stance with the super singles and then maybe power steering as a bonus, and not have any adverse effects... I think it would be a grand slam. Thanks again. Shane

rustystud

Thanks for input on 3 Axle lifted M35A2. I am in the thinking it over phase, and if you could just lower the whole tandem rear assembly as a unit, and then use Black Rock Fab. front spring mounts, widen the stance with the super singles and then maybe power steering as a bonus, and not have any adverse effects... I think it would be a grand slam. Thanks again. Shane

Remember the torque rods also attach to the differential housing. If you try and move the whole rear assembly your messing with the driveline angles now to. It is a real complicated thing to consider.

Shane 1971 M35A2

Driveline Angles

I know the driveshafts will be at steeper angles and can cause unwanted vibration especially the shorter front. Lockout hubs would take care of the front as the front driveshaft would not spin unless the locked in (both by air switch and the front hubs engaged), and vibration would not be much of an issue when crawling slow with the front engaged. Now for the rear which is quite a long driveshaft anyway, it might not vibrate with its normal U-joint, but if it did at road speed, I might could use a CV joint or "double cardan" U-joint right before the middle axle (basically two U-joints in series) like the lifted Jeep guys use to solve the steep driveshaft angle vibration problem. I know they also can tilt their one rear differential up more in line with the steeper driveshaft on an angle also, which I could not do with two tandem floating rear axles. Anyway I am just thinking, I know the can of worms when trying to modify something might be more squirmy than it is worth. Thank you.
Shane

Remember the torque rods also attach to the differential housing. If you try and move the whole rear assembly your messing with the driveline angles now to. It is a real complicated thing to consider.

Watsonpreston

All of the above has already been done and all of the concerns below about drive shafts are some what not valid in the video below you can see how far stock drive shafts can go
I have since upgraded both rear drive shafts for more flex but stock might be enough for you

https://youtu.be/bAMpLfi7uAg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustystud

All of the above has already been done and all of the concerns below about drive shafts are some what not valid in the video below you can see how far stock drive shafts can go
I have since upgraded both rear drive shafts for more flex but stock might be enough for you

https://youtu.be/bAMpLfi7uAg

Your saying the driveline concerns are not valid ? Well I see your truck does well off road, now take it on the freeway and lets see how it handles. Especially lets see a emergency swerve to avoid an accident.
Before you do go on the freeway it would be wise to add a full rollbar to your truck.

Shane 1971 M35A2

Thats what I am talking about!!! That lifted 3 axle M35 looks awsome! That lift and tire combo are what I wish mine had. Thank you for sending me a message and link to video showing what it looks like and how it does/articulates off road. Did you do power steering too? How and what gauge steel did you use to lower the rear tandems? Do you have a build series on what it took to pull that off? One of those fire-brush truck exocages you see on M35's that fire departments retrofit would look awsome on that beast! How does it drive out on the road. Do you have air lockers or mechanical lockers? Would it drive on the road similar to stock with no lockers just stock Rockwells with open differentials?
That is great, and I am sure other M35 owners out there would also agree!
Thanks again for showing it can be done and what it looks like.
Shane

Watsonpreston

Thats what I am talking about!!! That lifted 3 axle M35 looks awsome! That lift and tire combo are what I wish mine had. Thank you for sending me a message and link to video showing what it looks like and how it does/articulates off road. Did you do power steering too? How and what gauge steel did you use to lower the rear tandems? Do you have a build series on what it took to pull that off? One of those fire-brush truck exocages you see on M35's that fire departments retrofit would look awsome on that beast! How does it drive out on the road. Do you have air lockers or mechanical lockers? Would it drive on the road similar to stock with no lockers just stock Rockwells with open differentials?
That is great, and I am sure other M35 owners out there would also agree!
Thanks again for showing it can be done and what it looks like.
Shane
Yes There is a build thread on my truck it hasn’t been updated in a long time
Power steering I Feel was my most important mod as far as Saftey and off-roading went with a Waterloo Saginaw 710 kit it’s a nice setup and good but in extreme off road bouncing it I went through a couple gear box’s. I had a company west Texas off road drill and tap my gear box for hydraulic assist made a big difference very reliable and very strong steering.
To lift the rear suspension I used a 30 inch section of frame that I had from shortening my truck.
It has spools and both rears and the front has Detroit style locker in the front.
I don’t drive it on the street for the most part but it handles it ok
It’s chopped up right now getting it back together with modded 5 ton suspension will be running 53/55 inch tires then I will get a video showing everything
My old setup I have ran for many years

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks