• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tatra street legal?

guruforwhat

Is the Tatra 815 military version 8x8 truck street legal in the US? I love those trucks and was wondering if you could even own one in the US and drive it on the streets. I know it will just barely fit the width of our streets just don't know if they would allow it.

NEW! Where would I be able to find one for sale in the U.S?

Last edited:

SixSpeed

Banned
With all of the other military vehicles running around, I don't see why a Tatra wouldn't be legal. Provided it is over 25 years of age. I would imagine you might need a CDL, though I am not sure of the weights of the Tatras.

Welcome to Steel Soldiers!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. There is one that comes to the SCMVCC meets once in a while. If Ca does it, i don't see why other states won't.

FridgeFreezer

It's the same width as the civilian trucks last time I looked. Biggest problem will be the import/emissions rules as with a lot of stuff you never got over there.

duncan

All the 813 and 815 models are 2.5 metres wide which is (at least for europe) the default size for a truck. The weight is around 13 to 15 tonnes, so that shouldnt be a problem either.

The 813s are old enough not to have to worry about emissions. The 815 are still being produced today and you can get them with a lot of different engines, including a few EURO5 ones (which is the highest/cleanest standard we have in europe).

They might look massively big, but when compared to a regular semi, theyre quite modest.

One thing though, 815's are quite expensive, expect to pay at least twice as much for an 815 compared to an 813.

Lastly, I'm guessing vtunimog can help you when you want to buy one.

tatra813

Finally decided to get a mans truck? ;-)
Man trucks are very nice also, there is a like new one for sale in the TRUCK PAPER online, check it out.........Tatra will do circles around it offroad though...depends what you want it for . The one online is very nice I thought about getting it myself.
Good luck let me know what you end up with...got to love the big trucks.

JLFast

Excellent thread and great question, as I was wondering myself.

My search for one of these rigs led me to this great site, thanks for the knowledge!

duncan

I dont think he meant MAN trucks though, more like "a mans truck". I like the old boxy style of the military MAN's, but sure as **** not taking one over my Tatra :)

TexMc

Wow just watched tatra on you tube in a truck trials event. That is an impressive beast. My question is can you get it with a hypercycle diesel. Ha ha

Augdog1964

Tatra

Kinda new to Tatras but wouldn't mind adding one to the collection. I rode around in several during a trip to CZ last year. Where are the best places to find specialty trucks like Tatras in the US? I've done some google searches but none of the sites really have much.

Thanks!

T815-8x8

The military had some T815VVN that I believe came via Desert Storm which were sold in US, BLM in UT NV & ID have some ATC / Tatra Terrno2 6x6 S&S fire trucks, I spoke with someone back in 02 who had just purchased 2 T815 8x8 dump trucks from a farmer can't remember either OR or WA.
I will have my TP6 T815 here soon but re powered with Mack E9 V8 500bhp

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks