• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's a Miller Matic 35 worth?

Dodge man

Like the title says, what is a Miller Matic 35 MIG welder worth? Including a full tank of 25/75 CO2/Argon, regulator, hoses, etc. Tank is about 4 1/2 feet tall but I don't know how many cu ft that is. Is there anything on one of these that I should watch out for? I'm looking at one but there's no suitable power where it's located so I have to tentatively agree to buy it before I can take it home and test it. But I have very little experience with MIG and non with this model so I'm operating blind here!

SixSpeed

Banned
I don't know too much about the old 35's. I think they came out in the 70's. From what I know it is/was an excellent welder and a lot of people still use them.

I poked around on the internet and most seem to be going for ~$500 w/ accessories like the one you are looking at it.

I'm not sure how I feel about buying it without testing...you would be putting some serious faith in the person you are buying it from.

Dodge man

I'm not sure how I feel about buying it without testing...you would be putting some serious faith in the person you are buying it from.
I agree. And the MM 35s are old enough that many are having problems with dried out caps and bad rectifiers. Easy enough to fix but expensive. The problem is that I'm not qualified to check it out!

I checked around on the web and the price sounds good for a good machine but this one has been sitting and the wire is rusty and I don't think the previous owner is smart enough to have checked or changed the caps and rectifiers so I'm beginning to think it will probably have problems and may not be a good buy. It's tempting but I think I'm going to pass unless I can find someone that's qualified to check it out.

toddm

We have a Millermatic 35 at work, we got it for free because it had a few melted plugs that you select the heat range with. I think we spent about $100 to get it welding again. That was 5 years ago, we just keep our fingers crossed that it keeps on going.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Like the title says, what is a Miller Matic 35 MIG welder worth? Including a full tank of 25/75 CO2/Argon, regulator, hoses, etc. Tank is about 4 1/2 feet tall but I don't know how many cu ft that is. Is there anything on one of these that I should watch out for? But I have very little experience with MIG and non with this model so I'm operating blind here!
Good welder, used to own one. Welded a lot of chrome moly tubing with that welder.

Provided that you can get it for a good price $300-350ish, it's worth that.

Of problem is going to be the air bottle. Most large bottles over 80 cu ft aren't sold just rented, so your chances of getting it refilled are slim. If the shop is willing to take the bottle on exchange, life gets better.

I own all of my bottles, two 80 cu ft O2 bottles, one 40 cu ft acetylene, and two 80 cu ft CO/Argon bottles. With the frequency that I use them, it paid for me to own verses rent bottles even though I get hit every ten years of so for a hydro test.

Last time I checked at my weld supply house the rental on a bottle was $6.00 per month.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks