• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV rim O rings

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 3 Different O-Rings ....

One for the 8-Bolt Rim...Black

One for the A1 12 Bolt 2 piece Rim...Black

Once for the A2 12 Bolt 2 Piece Rim...This O-Ring is Red in Color and much Thinner then
the First 2 Listed.

And Possibly a 4th for the Newer 24 Bolt Rim, I have not seen these yet....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited by a moderator:

tobyS

Having done the search, I see there are multiple orings. I'm opening this thread in hopes of some more clarity. I've read multiple posts and threads plus taken measurements. I've seen the debate over using a 457 vs a 458....both of which are 1/4" diameter.

My rims are the newer style. They are two of the same style and number rims, both have 3/16" orings in them, 15" OD, but one is black Buna N and the other is red.....but seems to have the same durometer.

My problem is that what I read calls for a 1/4" oring while what was in it is a 3/16". Any comments on those two diameters in the later style wheels (2000+) will help me in choosing. Note that the 3/16 standard Buna N is either tight at 14.5" od or the next size at 15.5" od, which is loose. The trick I understand on the "too big" diameter size is to put it in the refrigerator to shrink it a bit.

Help in sizing please, since what I read contradicts the oring that is in my wheels.

tobyS

I went back to the orings I took off that were both in reasonable shape but have taken the triangle shape somewhat. I can't see any way a 1/4" o-ring would work without it holding the steel rims apart or squeezing excessively.

I'm going with the black Buna 70 #384 which is 15" ID x 15 3/8" OD x 3/16".

tobyS

Sorry, this is an old thread but came up high on the search. Unfortunately Doghead's links don't work and the OP never comes up with part numbers. Myself, I have 2 rims with 12 bolts and the very small o-ring, I believe is 3/16".

The #384 Buna N 70 duro o-ring came and it is too big. I'm going to the #383.

Help me out if you know the number for the 15" od x 3/16" (or slightly smaller, maybe metric size), right now I'm in trial and error mode.

Last edited:

tobyS

tobyS, did the #383 o-ring work from mcmaster?
There has been too many moons for me to say for sure. I believe they did but I have one set on a trailer that is not staying up long term.

That is a 3/16" dia x 14.00 inside and buna N, 70 duro...sounds right but I don't have any apart to measure. I do more 20".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks