• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California License Plate display / positioning/ lighting

Warren Lovell

California Vehicle Code section 5200(a);

License plates:

When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
California Vehicle Code section 5201;

Positioning of plates:

License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible.

The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground (with lengthy exceptions...ie tow truck, tank vehicle, truck tractor, garabage truck, etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
California Vehicle Code section 24601;

License plate lamp:

Either the taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear license plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear.

When the rear license plate is illuminated by a lamp other than a required taillamp, the two lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this will help the californians with the license plate mounting and lighting, I am making a plate holder, that swings and locks either up or down.

I hear you can EVEN get hydraulic accuators!

Warren Lovell

Anything you guys need re codes with regards to California, let me know.

I remember when I pulled up to the police range in my Ferrari while I was in the academy, I came back to my car after my shoot and someone had put a photo copy of the vehicle code on my windshield stating, "If you plan on enforcing the vehicle codes of the State of California, you might want to start with yourself".

BiggsChevys

i try to avoid the excuses they use to pull me over.... tired of being pulled over for "no front bumper" and being "ticketed for no front plate"... 5 days after the same yahoo pulled me over the first time a block away accusing me of not wearing my seatbelt because he could not see my shoulder strap.... its always something stupid they use to stop me, and that is all they can find, rarely do I even get a fix it ticket.... after all its not like a rattle can black 74 k5 blazer is a rare vehicle....

Im in the mindset that says " I got enough reasons to be pulled over driving a duece, they dont need another" Besides, if it looks like you attempt to abide by the law, mabye they cut you some slack.

FYI, I carry all the applicable vehicle codes in that rather large box in the dash of the duece. Just in case.....:driver:

jpinst

Who get pulled over in an MV unless you are using it as a commuter. I made a small black bracket for my m35a3 that attaches behind the left tail light. The plate is attached with wing nuts and I usually dont have it attached. If you get pulled over for some odd reason, just say you had the truck on display and you had to take it off because some kids were screwing with it.

BiggsChevys

Please tell that to the ones that pull me over.....

January, After having the MV for only a few weeks, I headed out to a local pressure washer to blast the clean the engine compartment and undercarriage. Front plate was on the dash, rear plate in the rear window.... Passed the cop in the last intersection before pulling into the pressure washing lot. Pulled up and shut the engine off as I was next in line, while waiting the cop pulled in behind me with his lights on.

He stopped me for Improperly displayed front plate... ran me through the system, I explained to him that it was a recent purchase that I am putting back together and am fully aware of the legalities of plate locations and lighting, even had the hardware for the front, just had not done it yet. I checked out as legal and legit, got a verbal and he was on his way....

Having been through this before, I know that the next time I get stopped for the plates that I will not get a verbal warning. (74 blazer, been there done that) I will also be told just how I can mount it, that it can not be tied or taped on as the ticket will not be signed off. Even after building a steel bracket to mount a plate, they glanced at it through a window from almost 100yds.... shoulda used bubble gum to mount it, would have saved time.

It all depends on the cop that pulls you over and the mood they are in.

Ripcord01

For years, rumors swirled that Jobs had either won a special dispensation from California authorities or was just daring police to stop him. While the why remains somewhat cloudy, an interview by ITWire with a former Apple security executive reveals the real reason: a little-known loophole in California vehicle laws that gives owners up to six months to get plates for their vehicles.

According to Jon Callas, now chief technical officer of Entrust, Jobs would arrange with his vehicle leasing company to switch out his silver Mercedes every six months with a new, identical model — just another of the complicated and expensive ways Jobs thought differently.

skark_burmer

As the Steve Jobs post points out you have quite some time after purchasing the vehicle to get plates.
Note, this is different than paying the DMV fee's and having insurance.

If you get a ticket while you are fully within the law it will be dismissed.
I have utilized this on every vehicle i have purchased for years, (at least 8 off the top of my head) and gotten pulled over numerous times.

Obviously if the cop is gonna give you a ticket you are getting the ticket. But rest easy it will be dismissed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks