• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing SINCGARS RT-1439/VRC in M35A3 deuce

Billy Bobbed

From the battery I use an older GRC-106 type power cable to my MX-7777B suppressor. From my MX-7777B (has two power outs) I use the CX-13089 power cables. One cable to my AM-1780 VIC-1 Intercom control panel and another cable to my MT-1029 (RT-524 and RT-246 radio mount).
My radio is connected to the AM-1780 via CX-4723 cable. This allows me to listen to the radio while using the intercom system on the road.
The RT-524 and RT-246 radios are connected to the antenna base (MX-6707 antenna matching base) via two cables. The first cable is the standard coax CG-1773. The second cable is a CX-4722. This cable tunes the antenna base to the Freqs on your radio.
The AM-1780 is connected to a series of intercom control boxes throughout the truck. This system allows you to connect upto 4 intercom boxes. These boxes are connected via CX-4723.
The antenna used is known as the AS-1729 (made up of two antenna sections)

When you have the RT-542 and the R-442 hooked together do they use one antenna or 2.Does the R-442 get its antenna feed from the MT-1029 from the RT-524,or do you hook another antenna and another CG-1773 cable.I noticed at the top of the RT-442 panel there is 2 antenna plugs,do you use them.I have 2 MX-6707 antennas mounted now.

jwaller

When you have the RT-542 and the R-442 hooked together do they use one antenna or 2.Does the R-442 get its antenna feed from the MT-1029 from the RT-524,or do you hook another antenna and another CG-1773 cable.I noticed at the top of the RT-442 panel there is 2 antenna plugs,do you use them.I have 2 MX-6707 antennas mounted now.
I used 2 and I believe you are supposed to use 2. the antenna feed does not go thru the mount, it has it's own cable separate from all other systems.

the 442 has 2 antenna BNC connectors so that you can share antenna's with all common R- radios(receivers), not RT's or receiver-transmitters.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usual radio practice is to avoid having a transmitter hooked directly into the input of a receiver, for obvious reasons. Other than the damage that can occur from overload, the receiver cannot receive anything while the transmitter is on, so nothing is gained by not using half duplex.

In cases where it's desired to operate two transmitter-receivers at the same time, whether into the same antenna or separate (but close proximity) antennas, there's a device called a duplexer to separate the signals and protect the receiver front ends.

The CU-2194/URC is one such duplexer. Brooke Clark covers it well at Diplexer, VHF, CU-2194/URC.

This duplexer does allow two radios to be hooked to the same antenna, as long as their operating frequency is separated enough that the duplexer can isolate them from each other.

Bob WB4ETT

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the battery I use an older GRC-106 type power cable to my MX-7777B suppressor. From my MX-7777B (has two power outs) I use the CX-13089 power cables. One cable to my AM-1780 VIC-1 Intercom control panel and another cable to my MT-1029 (RT-524 and RT-246 radio mount).
My radio is connected to the AM-1780 via CX-4723 cable. This allows me to listen to the radio while using the intercom system on the road.
The RT-524 and RT-246 radios are connected to the antenna base (MX-6707 antenna matching base) via two cables. The first cable is the standard coax CG-1773. The second cable is a CX-4722. This cable tunes the antenna base to the Freqs on your radio.
The AM-1780 is connected to a series of intercom control boxes throughout the truck. This system allows you to connect upto 4 intercom boxes. These boxes are connected via CX-4723.
The antenna used is known as the AS-1729 (made up of two antenna sections)
Just FYI..

you should not need to power the AM-1780 with its own power if you are running a MT-1029, (with or without the radio) the AM-1780 gets its power from the CX4723 cable... from the radio, the AM-1780 "Installation switch" (slotted no dial on bottom right) should be in "OTHER" (center position). if you are running the 1780 alone with no radio, then the switch should be on "Internal Only" and you need a power cable.

ke6rwj

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all the pictures on here I could'nt find one with the R-442 antenna hooked up,or much info. on it.
The R442 usually is connected to the AB-15/gr antenna,

View attachment 246770

The is a base the the popular MS-116, MS-117, MS-118 antenna elements... its for receive only..

you can however use an extra MX-6707+antenna like the RT524, it will work fine but not "spec".

The multiple BNC antenna connectors are wired together so you can "daisy" chain the R442 together to the same one antenna, but NEVER to an RT524 or other transmitter.

NOTE: one thing that i "harp on" (even while in the army as a commo NCO) is that on these bases about 50% are missing the worm clamp with ground strap from the connector to provide proper grounding at the antenna, they suck wind if you don't put them on there.

ke6rwj

Steel Soldiers Supporter

yea, the two MX-6707 probably look sharp on the truck... hook the R442 to one and the RT524 to the other... then you have something more than a flagpole on the truck :)

its dual use now..

use whichever antenna port on the R442 is convenient, they are both electrically the same.

Billy Bobbed

Just FYI..

you should not need to power the AM-1780 with its own power if you are running a MT-1029, (with or without the radio) the AM-1780 gets its power from the CX4723 cable... from the radio, the AM-1780 "Installation switch" (slotted no dial on bottom right) should be in "OTHER" (center position). if you are running the 1780 alone with no radio, then the switch should be on "Internal Only" and you need a power cable.
The thing is if you turn the Rt-524 off the Vic-1 is dead,that is why you run the other power.

ke6rwj

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thing is if you turn the Rt-524 off the Vic-1 is dead,that is why you run the other power.
not if the VIC "main power" is in "INT Only", if you switch it to "Norm" you are correct it requires power on the radio.. Switch the vic to "int" and it runs fine..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks