• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions... M275 or...?

Prozon

I guess i'll start with a little introduction. My name is Kris! (You can call me Prozon or Pro, whatever floats your boat!)
Well my first question would have to be;

Is this a good section to ask questions about a 1953 M275?!?!
If not.. where the heck do I post it? This is my first military truck and quite literally the first time i've really looked at them much. I just bought an 1953 REO M275 for $800. When I read the different forum area's i'm like "Oh an M###, maybe mine goes there? But i'm not really sure if the ect in it includes me. :p"

And have you EVER tried to run a google search for M275? Its very confusing, it starts showing laptops and suddenly I just don't know what I own anymore.. :)

I wanted to ask some questions about it here; but my biggest concern is..
IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE ANY OTHERS I'VE SEEN!!!!

All of the M275's i've seen look like M35's, they have the flat fenders and all, but this truck doesn't. It has rounded fenders and the hood flips down. I'm not sure if they did this. The truck does not look like its a '53.. hood wise anyways. The fenders throw me off.

I thought; "OH, well i'll know by figuring out the engine.." but that doesn't help because its not a stock engine! Someone swapped in a 413 Chrysler engine. Its a 60's engine in a 53 truck, obviously not stock lol. The tags state that its an M275, and REO but I wonder why it looks different than the others?

I'll throw out a few questions to see if anyone can answer them. (Answering the first question would be good too.) :)

Is this a good section to ask questions about a 1953 M275?!?!

What are the hard tops worth in good condition?

What transmission might this be?
(Mated to a 413 chrysler, could it still be stock?)

(You can see a picture of the truck in my avatar.)

Well thats all for now,
Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your plate says a M275, I am guessing someone swapped cabs. The wheelbase looks very long. It does have the aftermarket windshield, I forget who made them. I also have seen those front ends but again I can't remember where. Got more pics?

srodocker

i was also talking to the guy selling this truck :)...im srodocker on your email talking about your hardtop by the way. its a conversion kit that the guy did before you...just checked my mail and he stated it is a whittenberg fiberglass conversion kit. neverheard of it...by the way check my sig its a convoy this july in your neck of the woods :)

welcome aboard!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Memphis Equipment prided itself in selling fiberglass tops, windshield frames and front ends for many years. Perhaps it was from them?

I'd buy it and go back to the standard front end, piece by piece. The look this thing has now is kinda silly....

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wecome to the site. You are in the correct forum, there are lots of threads on M275's here. Your truck is the poster child for "civilianized". The fiberglass front end is aftermarket, as is the bed, front wheels, cab top, windshield, engine, power steering . . . I agree the frame looks too long as well. The military cab tops seem to be worth $500 and up. I would buy a M35A2 at auction and transplant the M275 frame into that truck, might be the easiest route . . .

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd keep it like it is, financially not worth putting back to origional (if it is). Has some hard to find aftermarket parts making it semi-rare by itself.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure it's a M275 - the frame is M35 length, and it has the M35 tool box under the cab where the long tractor-specific fuel tank should be. Are you sure that the cab and data plates didn't come off a M275 tractor, and they just dropped it onto a M35 frame?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have an M275 and that beast is not even close......275,s had the fuel tank on the drivers side. It was longer and flatter than the standard tank.
Also had a catwalk behind the cab where the spare tire and pioneer tool rack were mounted and the air lines and electrical plug were.
I would agree with one of the above posts that someone put a M275 data plate (that they already had a title for) on it to make it more saleable.
It is a unique looking truck and unless you paid way too much for it you have something different but still military based.
We won't hold the MOPAR power plant against you.:mrgreen:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For $800, time to part out the military parts to someone completing their own M35-based truck! That winch setup has to run $500 or more by itself in value.

That is, unless you want to work it as it is....:D

Prozon

For $800, time to part out the military parts to someone completing their own M35-based truck! That winch setup has to run $500 or more by itself in value.

That is, unless you want to work it as it is....:D
Well as I am already restoring an MG, i've got a mud truck that needs TLC.. I was thinking of just selling it. If I can make $800 off it, I will come out even and be able to keep some stuff. I figure i'll take the two tires up front and put them on my mud truck. 40" tires don't look so bad on an F-350. :razz:

But as Srodocker mentioned, he was emailing me about the top. (Small world!) He could probably tell me the most about it, as he was emailing the PO before I was. I'm not really sure how far it is from running.. "the carb started puking gas, so I pulled it." Turns out it needs a carburator rebuilt and a coil lol.

So any idea what I should charge Srodocker for this top? :p

It is a unique looking truck and unless you paid way too much for it you have something different but still military based.
Well I wouldn't say I paid too much, those 2.5 ton rockwells are a good upgrade for mud trucks! :)
I can get a good amount in parts. I was thinking of fixing up all the little things, but if I sell the top then i'll be decided parting it. I'll sell as much as I can and then cut up the frame and scrap it. I was thinking of pulling the cab, axles, winch, flatbed, engine and trans.. then sell the frame and sell off the parts when I can.

I just need to figure out how much the top is worth. >_<

Last edited:

Prozon

Haha. Well he offered to trade me a new soft top. :p

Tell ya what guys, if I sell/scrap the rest of the truck.. i'll hold on to the cab and sell Srodocker the top for a case of sodeee pop.

Prozon

i dont like that price hahahha i like the case of soda pop price!
Well you'll have to wait a bit then eh? (And hope someone else doesn't snatch it up!

So you mentioned wanting the cab in the email, what about the exhaust? Did you just want where it bolts to the manifold or what?

This exhaust looks ridiculously easy to build off the manifold. I love it haha.

srodocker

thats fine i can wait just let me know when you want to sell for that price :) since it has a different engine im sure it doesnt have the exhaust that comes up. if your going to scrap it aswell i'll take the undercab tool box and maybe the spare tire carrier.

Prozon

thats fine i can wait just let me know when you want to sell for that price :) since it has a different engine im sure it doesnt have the exhaust that comes up. if your going to scrap it aswell i'll take the undercab tool box and maybe the spare tire carrier.
Spare tire carrier? It has one of those? lol.

Well the exhaust comes straight down out of the manifold, has a 90 degree bend and goes straight towards the back.

But as I said, i'll probably pull as many things as I can and see how much I can get for them.

And if someone is interested in the top, i'll be sure to let you know first incase you want to throw a case of soda on top of their offer. ;)

(But my top isn't listed anywhere, so I think you're in good shape.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks