• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting a huey a/c questions

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
HEY GUYS,
GETTING READY TO PAINT MY UH-1E..
I GOT PICTURES OF 'AS DELIVERED' OLIVE DRAB PAINT FOR 1965.
BUT CANT FIGURE OUT THE REPLACEMENT PAINT FOR IT.
EXAMPLE.:
Im getting ready to paint it in a few weeks. That bring up a question. I cant find the correct paint. I talked to Bruce at Bell, he told me the correct paint number but I cant find a glossy Olive Drab paint like in the photo. This was as dilivered paint color. The closest thing i think is USMC # 24052 (semi-gloss)
As delivered, your 1965 a/c was painted with a MIL-L-6805 lacquer, glossy olive drab color #1405 (Wade down towards the bottom of the attached). Some info on mil use of OD paint can be found on the link below. You'll see a reference to 1405 that evolved into a number of other configurations and appears to end up as 34087 (color example shown in top chart of the link). The article talks of Army vehicles but, at the end of the day, paint is paint whatever it's applied to. Bruce..
Do they make a Gloss olive drab, what brand holds up best?..
should i buy a spray can, paint a piece of alumium and have it scaned at a car paint shop and have them make up a batch of PPC paint single stage? It would hold up better?..I would only like to do this once..
Thanks a bunch for your info and Look for me at a bunch of the shows..
ps, the gun mounts are almost finished!..
Kevin..​

Attachments

Last edited:

Nonotagain

HEY GUYS,
GETTING READY TO PAINT MY UH-1E..
I GOT PICTURES OF 'AS DELIVERED' OLIVE DRAB PAINT FOR 1965.
BUT CANT FIGURE OUT THE REPLACEMENT PAINT FOR IT.
EXAMPLE.:
Im getting ready to paint it in a few weeks. That bring up a question. I cant find the correct paint. I talked to Bruce at Bell, he told me the correct paint number but I cant find a glossy Olive Drab paint like in the photo. This was as dilivered paint color. The closest thing i think is USMC # 24052 (semi-gloss)
As delivered, your 1965 a/c was painted with a MIL-L-6805 lacquer, glossy olive drab color #1405 (Wade down towards the bottom of the attached). Some info on mil use of OD paint can be found on the link below. You'll see a reference to 1405 that evolved into a number of other configurations and appears to end up as 34087 (color example shown in top chart of the link). The article talks of Army vehicles but, at the end of the day, paint is paint whatever it's applied to. Bruce..
Do they make a Gloss olive drab, what brand holds up best?..
should i buy a spray can, paint a piece of alumium and have it scaned at a car paint shop and have them make up a batch of PPC paint single stage? It would hold up better?..I would only like to do this once..
Thanks a bunch for your info and Look for me at a bunch of the shows..
ps, the gun mounts are almost finished!..​

Kevin..​
Kevin,

One of my friends also happens to be my PPG paint rep handling military paints and sealants.

I attempted getting pricing for the NCP coatings CARC that PPG sells, but the minimums required make it so that I could not even come close to the prices others here have quoted for Sherwin Williams paint.

Getting back to your paint color question, Fed-Std-595 which covers paint colors to military specifications does not contain a color #1405. All Fed-Std colors will be 5 digit colors, 10,000 being gloss, 20,000 series being semi-gloss, and the 30,000 colors being flat or lusterless.

If you send me a PM, I can call Bill and get you a price on PPG 8200 polyurethane as 14087 color which will be glossy, or I can put you in contact with him directly.

Last edited:

jimm1009

The ARmy had some of those that were a gloss olive crab fo the "big wheels".
Another brand is Dupont in the Imron line and that is what we use for most aircraft flying offshore to the rigs.
Many choices to choose from.
Gloss paint will hold longer than flatter versions but it depends on what you want.
I assume that this is a flying machine and not a static display that will never fly again. You will want to weight it agin since it is almost impossible to calculate the weight of applied paint for weight & balance figures.

jimm1009

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the info, PM sent for more info with the Paint rep. Also this bird is Static on a trailer, so the weight of the paint wont matter..I will be painting this in my hanger, so the more forgiving the better..The Helo wont fit in paint shop spray booths, and I cant afford to have it painted at a A/C paint shop, so...I will give it a try..Should be no different than a car, just bigger!. Thanks again!.
Kevin..

TucsonVTXF

Does this fly? if so make sure to do a weight and ballance. all fluids full (serviced), zero fuel, depuddle the fuel tank. and then weigh the aircraft after paint...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I opened this thread thinking "man, they really needed to talk with Cevon about his Huey, but, unfortunately, he's gone." Then, I realized that this WAS Cevon's thread and someone responded to it. He was a good guy and is missed. RIP, Cevon. For those who did not know him well, he would tell people his name was Kevin because it was easier for most to remember, but he told me his name was really Cevon. He even signed his posts as "Kevin," but I felt the need to address him correctly here! :) Gone too soon. I believe its been two years this past spring.

Last edited:

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint code used

My local Sherwin Williams rep was very helpful when I was looking for paint to use on my truck.
She got together with the support people who recommended SHER-CRYL HPA (High Performance Acrylic)
Can be sprayed, rolled, or brushed and looks pretty good to me.
Went with 24084 paint code from the FS595B which is Semi-Gloss. They made it up with Ultradeep Base.
I paid about $60.00 per gallon on a contractor account.
https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=SWPROTECT&doctype=PDS&lang=E&prodno=B66R300

SgtMajHarper

Here's something that surfaced from the depths of my old and crowded memory bank along the lines of this topic. Many moons ago while I was a military advisor to the Navy SeaBees, I was at the SeaBee museum and they had an M151 inside all decked in it's Vietnam glory with a huge "are you kidding me"? paint scheme. It was right in all respects except the color was a high gloss, which even for the Navy whilst hanging out with Marines isn't very tactical. I inquired how they were able to get "Marine green" to look like that and they told me that they just added brake fluid to the usual no gloss Marine green and it shines like crazy.

Not sure if they were having a good laugh at my expense (I don't get out much) or maybe there really is something to it?

SgtMajHarper

For myself every time I have a brake master cylinder go bad and it leaks onto any paint it sure makes it bubble up and come off the surface. (I kinda felt a tug on my trouser leg).

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's something that surfaced from the depths of my old and crowded memory bank along the lines of this topic. Many moons ago while I was a military advisor to the Navy SeaBees, I was at the SeaBee museum and they had an M151 inside all decked in it's Vietnam glory with a huge "are you kidding me"? paint scheme. It was right in all respects except the color was a high gloss, which even for the Navy whilst hanging out with Marines isn't very tactical. I inquired how they were able to get "Marine green" to look like that and they told me that they just added brake fluid to the usual no gloss Marine green and it shines like crazy.

Not sure if they were having a good laugh at my expense (I don't get out much) or maybe there really is something to it?
They probably wiped it down with Dot 5 brake fluid to shine it up.

SSGHillbilly

Oh my god you got a Huey??:not worthy::smile:
For real??? How in the heck , if so your dam lucky & fortunate. All I can say is WOW !

**** in Vietnam from what I was told the G.I’s even just hit the with a paint brush.
whats up with the Black ribbon someone past away?
i love the Huey :clinto: Air Assault / Airborne .

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RIP Cevon .

I would kill to have a Huey

My buddy who served during the Vietnam era told me that they would cut the paint with gasoline to dull it down .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks