• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Burma Jeep

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
GTB Width

Papabear:
Are you pretty sure on the dimensions, that extra two inches will be a problem. /quote]

No James...I'm not positive of the width. I've only seen one GTB up close and that was about 3 years ago.

DD's Field Guide list the following dimentions:
L = 180.67 IN.
W = 86 IN.
H = 100.3 IN.
Weight = 7,250lbs

Hope that's of some help Sir...and good luck on a worthy project:-D

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the navy got most of them, both Navy trucks I have seen both had winches so I am not sure what the ratio of WW to WOW was. I have been looking for some 7.5x20 tires with no success, so I may put some 9x20 Deuce wheels and tires on her to see how it sits!
James

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MD308, thanks for the help but with tubes and flaps that's well over three times what I paid for the truck! I think my spare deuce tires will fine on it for now! It is a 1 1/2 ton truck, it was a little over my car hauler's limit but I never got over 45 miles an hour. I have wanted one for years so no going on ebay with this one!
James

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's down the list for renovation, I am looking for parts right now, including a windshield and passenger seat. Is the GTB in your avatar on Craig's list? It looks really familiar!

rbaldauf

Ford gtb burma jeep

Yes it is one and the same. Am I asking too much? I haven't had a call, I ended up buying this GTB, an M35, and a WC-27 just to get a WC that I couldn't live without. Now I'm trying to sell the GTB and the 6X6 so I can finance the WC. I figured to keep the WC-27 just for parts. Naturally a person seen the 6X6 in the yard, stopped and seen the ambulance and wanted to buy that, he got all upset with my "going to use it for parts answer". Thing is all sawzalled up, sides and 1/2 the roof cut out, looks like crap, whats left of the roof is rusted off along the seam. So its for parts. Anyways working on the WC today, just posted a question on the site, how do I get the door panels off? Can't see how to get the handles off. Any suggestions?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a WC52 in line for restoration but little knowledge of it. $2500 is going to be hard on the GTB I only paid $5-600 on mine but it was a deal, I would think it would move for $1500 or so.
James

rbaldauf

Did the one you pick up run when you got it? I'm missing the passenger seat also. I like the looks of the bed thats on yours. wish I had it. Mine is it pretty good shape, no rust, runs, moves, winch works, just missing some parts. Where are the frame numbers? I need to track them down to get a title.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine hasn't run in 20 years everything is there including a broken off spark plug. Do a search on some English/British military forums, that's where I found most of the info on my truck. There is a bed for sale on one of the Idaho Craig's list.
James

mendo

My Uncle's Dad bought one of these in the 1940's, cut the bed off and used it to move to Eastern Washington. He had plans to own a Ranch and used it to clear the property he purchased. His health started to fail and they moved off the ranch into town.

My Uncle was visiting the old Ranch 8 years ago and saw the Burma at the neighbors place covered in blackberry bushes and had a tree growing through the homemade flatbed.

Coming from Washington, it was all one color, RUST.

He had it trucked down to his house in Agua Dulce and it sat.

My wife was joking with him one day about when he was going to drive it and he said that he didn't know if it would start.

He had taken the carb off and had a shop rebuild it as well as the starter and had purchased a new battery. He had taken out the sparkplugs and suprizingly there was no rust in the cyl., he put a little oil into each cyl anyway to coat them. He changed all fluids, they all looked good still even after sitting for, our best guess is, about 35 years. (the tree was about 8 inches around)

We started with a 5 gallon boat fuel tank because the original (which was not the original) gas tank had a hole.

fresh fuel, good (6 volt) Battery, crank........ no fire.

Check fuel, yes.
check spark, yes.

Crank........... ONE POP!!

cheers from the crowd!! (ok, only two of us were there,)

OK, here we go, Crank........... one pop.

Crank........ one pop.

elation deflation.

Alright, check spark on all cyl. CHECK
Check fuel, CHECK
Check Compression 5 good, one at 0.

look down into 0 comp cyl while turning engine over, EXHAUST VALVE STUCK OPEN. Spray more magic oil on valve stem, go eat lunch. come back after lunch, turn engine over looking into cyl, VALVE IS MOVING!! check comp, YES!

we are ready now, Crank........two pops,

confusion, stand and look at it for 10 minutes or so.

check points, good.
check timing, good.
check firing order, WRONG!!

someone had swapped some spark plug wires on the dist cap 35 years ago and that is probabaly why it was sitting there!

correct firing order, Crank........ START!!! Purrs like a kitten! (well a loud kitten because there was a hole in the exhaust pipe down right before the muffler)

I looked at him and yelled "let's drive it!"

(of course there are no brakes, who needs those anyway?)

back and forth in front of the garage we went, when he was done, he looked at me with a sad-happy face. He looked like he was a kid again.

He found a bed, fixed a few rust spots, replaced the master and wheel cyl so the brakes work, and painted it like it was in the old pictures with his Dad.

I am happy that I got to do this with him, I am happy that I could help him get his Dad's truck running again. They are tough vehicles and I am impressed with how resiliant it is.

David

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope to have the same luck with mine, most of the parts are supposed to be off the shelf at least for the drive train. I have filled the engine with oil all the way to the top of the oil filler neck hopefully this help off set the thirty years or so it has been sitting out in the woods.

nattieleather

Put some Marvels Mistery oil down the spark plug holes to help lube the rings up before you turn it over (by hand of course). Most parts are off the shelf for the drive train and even the military parts are a standard for WWII so except for the sheet metal most everything should be an easy find and replace.

Oh check out Wallace Wade for the tires.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a dozen 9x20 tires mounted on Deuce wheels, I am just going to use them for the time being. Last time I looked at the correct tires they were a couple of time more than I paid for the truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks