• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Rockwell & 5 ton top load rim difference?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not sure about what your asking. I don't think the LMTVs use rockwell axles, don't they use Meritor axles? Is there a way to look up the bolt pattern? As long as they are the same width, they should work.

four_by_ken

The LMTV axles that I have... have Rockwell International tag on them. They came from a LMTV. Arvin Meritor bought Rockwell out.

I need rims for these axles. I want to know if I HAVE to go with LMTV rims or if typical 5 tons will work.

If they will work, is there any difference I need to be aware of?

eldgenb

the fmtv has a little less backspacing but not enough to make a difference, I would look for hemtt wheels just for availability.

four_by_ken

If it helps, I have FMTV wheels on my M51A2.
So yes, the rims will work.
But, the question still remains.... can the 5 tons be used on the FMTV wheels. My concern comes from the planatary ends... are they too big for the center hole on the 5 tons rims?

the fmtv has a little less backspacing but not enough to make a difference, I would look for hemtt wheels just for availability.
This is my most likely route... but, they are HEAVY. Not sure what the weight on the 5 tons are.

M1075

But, the question still remains.... can the 5 tons be used on the FMTV wheels. My concern comes from the planatary ends... are they too big for the center hole on the 5 tons rims?
The center hole is the same. I think the main difference is the backspacing. CTIS and thickness differences too. I put FMTV wheels on my M818. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

four_by_ken

The center hole is the same. I think the main difference is the backspacing. CTIS and thickness differences too. I put FMTV wheels on my M818. Here are a few pics.
Good to know.

Do you know what the above differences are? Thickness and backspacing?

Preferably, I would like the one with more backspacing and lighter weight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks