• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m818 towing m818 questions

mlwats1@hotmail.com

make sure you have the brake lines right if not the m818 being towed will have locked brakes due to the service air going to the brake activation side, make the m818 work hard just to move.:confused:

area52

The M818 being towed either needs batteries in it and the light switch turned on, or a cable hooked up from the towing M818 trailer plug to the light plug in the dash

M813A1

All you need to do is run 1 wire for running lights and 2 wires for the turn and brake lights from the towing truck to the back of the towed truck !! and turn the switch on !!

sandcobra164

I know that I'm not the smartest man in the world but how is putting air to service line of the truck being towed going to activate the brake system on a truck that has air over hydraulic brakes? I know these 800 series trucks will roll freely with no air pressure so the emergency line is irrelevant. Now the 900 series is a completely different matter, to roll one of those without air requires caging pins on the brake chambers and they will apply if the service line is pressurized. I'm just curious.

M813A1

Well what happens is on the M809 series truck the air line are plumbed into the air system so that they will activate the air pack and apply the brakes when the towing truck applies the brakes that is how the brakes work on the M809 series truck being towed

Blythewoodjoe

Well I hope to pick up my M818 from GL in a week or two and I am thinking of towing it with the other M818. I wanted to drive it home but even with a tag and insurance GL said I can not drive it out of the DRMO. So if I have to tow it 200 yards I might as well tow it the 20 miles home.

So here's the question, do you have to tie the steering wheel like you do in a deuce and will I need to remove the front drive shaft. It really burns me up that I can't drive it off base.

Fun, fun, fun,
Joe

bubba_got_you

Well I hope to pick up my M818 from GL in a week or two and I am thinking of towing it with the other M818. I wanted to drive it home but even with a tag and insurance GL said I can not drive it out of the DRMO. So if I have to tow it 200 yards I might as well tow it the 20 miles home.

So here's the question, do you have to tie the steering wheel like you do in a deuce and will I need to remove the front drive shaft. It really burns me up that I can't drive it off base.

Fun, fun, fun,
Joe
what base?

turnerman

hey blythewoodjoe I got one too and was planning on pulling off base and driving let me know when your euc clears maybe we could tow both off at the same time. Did you keep an eye on the prices of the rest of the trucks?

fasttruck

Towed m 813 from ft. Drum, ny to new jersey once with an m62 and a drawbar. Did not have problems with tracking & all drive shafts were in it. As area 2 observed, if batteries arfe on and light switch at least 1 click to right of dead center, brake lights will work. If towed vehicle is dead you need to make an auxilary light bar that will plug ijto first vehicle's trailer plug. Never had a problem with control if heavier vehicle was in front. Towed a m 820 with an m 818 once and it "hunted" especially when going downhill. If the brakes do not work on the one in the back it will be a problem to stop front unit without having the back one try to turn it sideways.

M813A1

You can tied the steering down if you wheel lift the back axles , but if you are flat towing you do not want to tie the steering it can contirbute to problems when turning !!

M813A1

As I said earlier the 5 ton truck front glad hand are setup to work the air system from the towing truck !! If the front truck applies the brakes the air pressure will apply air pressure to the airpac and that will apply the brakes to the towed truck at the same time !! that is how the air stystem are setup on the 5 ton series trucks !! read the your T. M. manuals before you do your tow JOB !!

Alredneck

Banned
Man, the lights work when you brake if the lines are hooked up? What!!!! I knew the brakes worked but not the lights to. Now I know, thats sweet!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks