• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 Starting Issues: How Do I Know it's The relay?

roboconcept

Hey all, just bought an m1009 in PHX about 5 days ago, has been running great up until yesterday, when it descided not to start. No attempt to even turn over, just lights at 1/2 key turn and nothing at full ignition position. Based on what I've been reading on here, I'm inclined to think it may be the starter relay which is going out, but I'm trying to figure out how to be sure.

I've checked most of the wiring that appears relevant, but there's a lot and I may have missed something. replaced a dead fuse, no help. Batteries are both telling my multimeter about 13volts.

I'm down to go to NAPA and throw down some money on a new relay, I just wanna make sure I've done everything to make sure that's the problem. and if it is the relay, how do I keep it from happening again?

roboconcept

Yeah,I'm definitely into that if it turns out to be the relay. But I don't want to go through all that if it's something else. So How Do I know? IS there a way to bypass the relay to start it to see if the engine still starts?

Crash_AF

Use a wire to jump from the red wire to the purple wire. If the engine cranks, check for 12V at the purple/white wire while the switch is in the 'start' position.

Later,
Joe

roboconcept

Crash_AF thanks for the advice, managed to hotwire my ride! Everything is running fine, relieved to see it is just an electrical issue. Problem is, with the relay unhooked, when the car is started I'm not getting any turn signal response. I have dogmeats solution on backorder at NAPA, will that take care of this or should I start hunting down something else?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These truck have been in service for 25+ years, and have been used and abused in harsh conditions.

Before you start replacing a bunch of stuff, spend some time cleaning the fuse box, relay connections, etc.

Disconnect you batteries, remove all you fuses (after you make a map) and clean the fuse box contacts with some Electrical Contact Cleaner and some sandpaper if needed. Y[ou may want to replace all the fuses also.

I have found that by just cleaning the fuses, relay connectors, ect that the majoraty of the problems will take care of themselfs.

Have you downloaded all the tech manuals and looked thru the Troubleshooting Sections?

Checkout the CUCV FAQ sticky for a link to the location of all the interior Relays, Diodes etc.

Crash_AF

The turn signals are a different problem unrelated to the starter circuit.

Just to make sure it's not just a simple issue, did you accidentally switch off your service lights while bumping around the cab? The two switches to the left of the headlight switch control the blackout light system, if the right toggle switch is not in the up position, none of the regular lights will work. The switch has to be pulled out slightly to unlock it to turn it back on.

Later,
Joe

roboconcept

Yes, I accidentally bumped the turn signal switch. Oops.

Installed the doghead relay mod, the ignition still only works via key every once in a while, which leads me to believe there is a loose wire somewhere. What is the proper procedure for tracking this down? I have yet to take off the dash and would like to avoid doing so, but it looks like it might be necessary. Any advice for where to look for IGNITION wiring issues?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like it could be the ignition switch. It is located ontop of the steering column. They can gum up and are not that expensive. Under $10 at Autozone.

You turn the key, which turns a gear, which pushes a rod, which engages the ignition switch, which energizes the starter relay.

The -34 Tech manual in chapter 4-13 covers how to replace it

Here is the location

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/50551-cucv-switches-diodes-relays.html?highlight=diode

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks