• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL M151s pulled

gunboy1656

They are 1/4 ton trucks that were deemed unsafe to drive. So years ago they decided that they were ALL to be cut up, crushed in other words destroyed before they got sold as scrap only.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
M151 series jeeps (Vietnam Era)...replaced by the HMMV were given a destruct order JCKnife...not to be sold outside the military in the US.
All kinds of opinions on how that order came to be...political, manufacturer request, roll over hazzard...etc....etc...and so on and so on and scooby dooby doo.....

But it is what it is...if ya don't have an M151 series...ya cant buy one...except from someone that has one...that ain't supposed to have one and if they do they probably welded it back together but maybe not, and either way it is technically not alowed. See what I mean?

And yes...you can buy them on Ebay...and from private individuals etc... BUT OFFICIALLY...they are not to be sold by the US Government...at least that's my understanding...and I think it's close to correct.:wink:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But it is what it is...if ya don't have an M151 series...ya cant buy one...except from someone that has one...that ain't supposed to have one and if they do they probably welded it back together but maybe not, and either way it is technically not alowed. See what I mean?

And yes...you can buy them on Ebay...and from private individuals etc... BUT OFFICIALLY...they are not to be sold by the US Government...at least that's my understanding...and I think it's close to correct.:wink:
PB, It depends on the time when they were released. Origionally they could be sold, later ones had to be cut in half, later the requirement was to be quartered, last ones flattened. Currently none can be released in tact.

Last edited:

rwbrown72

I would agree with this, but in this case it was not lawyers and insurance that made the call, it was the .gov. But I believe any vehicle is dangerous in the wrong hands.
Congress is full of lawyers! Some of my best friends are lawyers. The only thing they are good for is scuba diving. The sharks won't bother you. Professional courtesy.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PB, It depends on the time when they were released. Origionally they could be sold, later ones had to be cut in half, later the requirement was to be quartered, last ones flattened. Currently none can be released in tact.
:ditto:

I've seen a few unwelded, several halves welded together, and even a couple of quartered ones welded back together.

At first the government surplused them out intact. Then they were allowed to be cut in half, thinking there would be no way somebody would weld them back together. People started welding them back together so the gov ordered them quartered, again thinking there would be no way somebody would weld four pieces back together. After people started welding quartered one back together they decided that the only way to keep them away from the public was to crush them.

It was the responsiblity of the buyer to "mutilate" them. It got to where the buyers had jigs to cut them to aide in welding them back together.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Congress is full of lawyers! Some of my best friends are lawyers. The only thing they are good for is scuba diving. The sharks won't bother you. Professional courtesy.
When I am lying on my death bed...I want my Lawyer and my Senator to be on opposite sides of my death bed.

My God died on a cross between two thieves. If it was good enough for Him.....

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a few unwelded, several halves welded together, and even a couple of quartered ones welded back together.
At first the government surplused them out intact. Then they were allowed to be cut in half, thinking there would be no way somebody would weld them back together. People started welding them back together so the gov ordered them quartered, again thinking there would be no way somebody would weld four pieces back together. After people started welding quartered one back together they decided that the only way to keep them away from the public was to crush them.

It was the responsiblity of the buyer to "mutilate" them. It got to where the buyers had jigs to cut them to aide in welding them back together.
Ft Mcoy back in the 1980's destroyed thousands. I personally know someone who destroyed several hundred. I remember my brother getting several parts fron stripped tubs to build off road vehicles. It happened ALOT. A very LOT.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They should reach down and grab a pair and put them dudes back on.... Heck, I might even buy the dang things just to make a statement!
Last I looked-before being pulled, they were both over 2K and weren't worth that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks