• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL M151s pulled

halftrack

I cant help but wonder if someone in the MV collecting world or even from this site called GL and said "You know, your not allowed to sell M151s according to such and such.....". just to be a D i C.

I can see someone saying "If I cant have it, then no one can".

I hope I am wrong though.

saddamsnightmare

May 15th, 2010.

Gents:

All this agonizing over two M151's? If you want an M151, just pay up to the guys that have them for sale...... :???:If you want an M151, get one and sell it to KIA or the Chinese, I'm pretty sure that unlicensed copies would turn up all over the 3rd world....8) And if they have the roll over problem that the original Vietnam era accident reports state, well, let's give some free ones to our taliban nemesis in Pakistan/Afghanistan. They have to cost less then a drone strike:eek:.
I've seen plenty of M151's.... I'd rather have an M170 myself... or an M422A1 which was much more stable then most FWD's, but a real pain to maintain (from personal experience)! However, this is just a personal opinion. I doubt that Uncle would have gone to the cost of demilling them the way they did if there wasn't an stability issue, but, again, I could be wrong there.:)

emr

Driver error, The first contracts had control arms that when in a turn over a speed they were not supposed to be driven the arm would fold under just enough to cause a rollover in a turn, yeesh, this was corrected , just like the 939 series when they put the 1400s on em and the kids drovem at 60 plus and wondered why when they hit the brakes in a panic stop they would lose control, again driver error, these are the facts. the M151s that are in vivy hands do just fine for alot of years now, I rest my case....:cool:... as for stability i would take an M38 anyday as the best Jeep or Jeep type vehicle like a mutt or the Mighty mite...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a FYI: There is a stripped tub at shirleys surplus. That was my reason for looking at those 2.:shock:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That's how Doc got the M718 Ambulance hndrsonj. He went to Greenville, GA to look at an old tanker deuce...but the guy had scrapped the deuce:shock: That was aboutr 8 years ago.
There were several other MVs and the feller let Doc just roam around. Doc found an M715 (which he bought) and a stripped down M718 tub...well most of one sitting on top of a bus!!

8 years...and a ton of time/money/nationwide parts hunting and fabrication lateraua ...it looks like an M718 Ambulance again. It is only used for displays and parades. Will never be taken in the woods/mud.

I do wish they could just dismantle those M151's and sell all the parts in a lot but I know that is not cost effective so I'm sure their fate is the smussher:(

Pawnshop

If they have the roll over problem that the original Vietnam era accident reports state, well, let's give some free ones to our taliban nemesis in Pakistan/Afghanistan. They have to cost less then a drone strike:eek:.

I know of several already in A**crackistan, I heard some first hand stories two years ago from a soldier just returned from there about several that they were using for patrols. They WOULD flip them over if they weren't paying attention (usually under fire he said), but the TOW pedestal apparently works real good as a roll bar! They would roll them back over and keep going. He said the main issue they had was keeping ball joints in them, everyone on his team got very good at replacing them:) His opinion on the roll over issue was that the A2 wasn't really any more prone to roll over than any other light, high COG big wheeled vehicles they drove, they also rolled over Land Cruisers and Land Rovers, they used M151s because they were easier to get back on their feet and more nimble in the mountains than the others. One soldiers POV, others mileage may vary...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks