• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MV Candy Coated Candy

MV candy is too sweet not to share so here's another piece. The sky was getting mean so only had time to open one crate and get things under a temporary cover before the rain. The preservation continues.

P7130181.jpgP7130185.jpg

Found a paper tag in the first box. I think it says 5/4/84 on the bottom left corner which almost makes sense with the 1977 rebuild tag from Mohawk. Who's Mohawk?

P7130176.jpgP7130188.jpgP7130189.jpgP7130177.jpgP7130167.jpg

It's better than Christmas lifting the lid off.

P7130170.jpgP7130161.jpgP7130169.jpgP7130157.jpgP7130173.jpgP7130174.jpgP7130175.jpgP7130187.jpg

Even the plugs look like they can be cleaned up so I'm going to need to make friends with Canada Post and drop an add in the classifieds once inventory is done.

P7130178.jpg

It was funny to see the first one out of a crate show up with a welded exhaust manifold. Nice job.

P7130162.jpgP7130163.jpgP7130164.jpg

USMC 00-08

What a neat find!! Thank you for letting us join in on the excitement of opening up those crates.

I've got a question about Gander's instrument cluster. Is the panel new or did you guys paint the Low Range/High Range, Oil, Air and High Beam markings on it? If you guys painted those on, would you be willing to make additional stencils available for sale? I am getting close to needing to paint those on mine. I was going to try to have stencils made, but if you beat me to it, that would be great.

gentrysgarage

Thanks Plowboy for sharing your uncovered treasure with us...do we need to start a recovery fund?
On another note, 1944MB, your trans is ready...
IMG_1333.jpg
I'm afraid its no longer free after it slowly/ creakfully destroyed my 7/8" Oak plywood dolly...its gonna cost you some lumber!
I was impressed that my kid was quick thinking enough to put some wood under the slowly collapsing dolly. This dolly handled the axles that were under my G7123 (the same as the G749 axles..H110s) no problem...this tranny just weighs MORE!!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hunt

Had a peak for the original description thread to see if that was an NOS gauge package but this is not the one https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?10695-My-First-Deuce. I believe nearly everything on the truck was NOS and I also believe I should wear a wrist band with my address on it so........You just need info on stencils or stickers for gauge packages so lets follow up on that. Not much in the "gauge stencils" search and this is old https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?4885-Source-for-IP-Guage-Decals-or-who-is-Rick-Larsen

I didn't have my radar up this morning and failed to get more engines loaded. Someone's forklift decided it wouldn't run so we spent the day touching that instead of 302's.

P6010019.jpg

It worked yesterday when it decided to 'pile' 2 engines near the loading area, while I wasn't there to help. It even yanked them out of the crates for me, while I wasn't there to help. Silly forklift.

P7140194.jpg

The sunny side was all about the "New" rotor and cap we found under a rubber seal. New, never run new.......new new. Vroom Vroom.

P7140191.jpg

1944mb

They most definitely are not light are they. We were going to head down south this spring but trip got moved to fall. Thanks for holding it so long and let me know what I'd owe u. I'll be in touch. That looks so nice and clean!

Thanks Plowboy for sharing your uncovered treasure with us...do we need to start a recovery fund?
On another note, 1944MB, your trans is ready...
View attachment 734443
I'm afraid its no longer free after it slowly/ creakfully destroyed my 7/8" Oak plywood dolly...its gonna cost you some lumber!
I was impressed that my kid was quick thinking enough to put some wood under the slowly collapsing dolly. This dolly handled the axles that were under my G7123 (the same as the G749 axles..H110s) no problem...this tranny just weighs MORE!!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Early Deuce Painting

Early Deuce in oil instead of dripping oil.

I was sent this preliminary sketch and asked if I wanted to make changes. When we talked about doing a deuce painting I asked for his artistic freedom with respect to the authentic look of the original deuce.....and he nailed it. This guy is so good he needs a few thousand orders to drive him nuts for the rest of his life.

http://www.gerardgraffix.com/

M135 in paint.jpg

rustystud

Early Deuce in oil instead of dripping oil.

I was sent this preliminary sketch and asked if I wanted to make changes. When we talked about doing a deuce painting I asked for his artistic freedom with respect to the authentic look of the original deuce.....and he nailed it. This guy is so good he needs a few thousand orders to drive him nuts for the rest of his life.

http://www.gerardgraffix.com/

View attachment 741563
How much is he charging for that picture ? Can he do copies or us ?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce on Canvas

This one is a good size and I think I'm in it for $500.00. Send Gerard a picture of what you want and a suggestion on size to get a price.

P9150983.jpgP9150981.jpgP9150988.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Preservation Support Team

Goose took another Canadian Veteran for a tour last week and it wasn't just another Veteran. This guy knew Goose the M135 better than Goose the M135 knew Goose the M135. Twenty six years of twisting wrenches on these trucks wasn't enough to keep him from knowing Goose needed a carb adjustment.

G749mech.jpg

We've been real lucky to share the G749 Farm with a lot of different folks.

P5210047.jpg17goosedragoons.jpg

....and this weekend it was potato picking time, Reds, Purple, Banana, Netted Gem, and these weird pink and white skinned eyeball units. Beautiful weekend boys, wish you all were here.....pickin'....instead of me.

181021pot.jpgPA211111.jpg181021pond.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Farm Twice the Fun

We've been wildly occupado it seems. Planes, trains, automobiles, parades, parts, tunnels, bunkers, research and air raid sirens keep me busy when I'm not on the toilet. I gotta make time to get down south again. Those pictures you sent just made me miss your place more so keep em' comin'.

P7020963.jpgP7150745.jpgP6030545.jpgP6030581.jpgP3250232.jpgP6150631.jpgP2160164.jpg

Hey, ....Is a 5 ton Twice the fun of a 2 1/2 Ton or half the fun?

We have been so occupado that we've been occupied by the South and didn't even know it. Had this glorious U.S. M923 something something show up to tug my Jellybean (see P4 oshkosh preservation) and pose for some photos.

The 5 ton looks twice the size of the 2 1/2 ton but is it twice the fun? Can't wait to get it out on the ice to see how heavy it is. Maybe it's only twice the fun to recover.

PA311065.jpg PA311073.jpgPA311078.jpgPA311067.jpg

Flying Tiger

What makes you think I'm gonna drive the beast on the ice? I'll end up getting the call from you for a recovery this winter, so I have to keep her warm and ready! Pulling the Jellybean was fun. Going up and over the hill was even funner!!!

Gunfreak25

I like those 5 tons. Theres a few down here for sale, very clean. Hey DaveO. I'm doing grounds keeping and landscaping now for a housing corporation. Love the work, no stress and I get to play with toys all day. Government subsidized so you can just imagine how much everybody cares about the actual work being done. Who'd of thought mr.landcape man.......

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outdoor earning

Earning a living outdoors in your climate could create a demand for the Gunfreak210 cool suit. What kind of work you doing? It can be a tough way to make a living but keeps you strong if you don't wreck body parts.

Here's the kid on the tools about 8 years ago, they grow up fast so staying close to home is brilliant. Can ya dig it?

030.jpg

rustystud

Earning a living outdoors in your climate could create a demand for the Gunfreak210 cool suit. What kind of work you doing? It can be a tough way to make a living but keeps you strong if you don't wreck body parts.

Here's the kid on the tools about 8 years ago, they grow up fast so staying close to home is brilliant. Can ya dig it?

View attachment 747363
Concrete work. Now that's a good profession. Hard on the body though. I had to help my father "back in the day" pour concrete. Troweling, and screeding and just plain shoveling concrete can be pretty hard on the knees and other body parts.

Ken S

Good day m1010plowboy,
Over the last few days I have read a lot of this thread, I have enjoyed your enthusiasm, your excellent narrative and more than a few very helpful pictures.

I felt your sadness when your Dad passed on, and it was lovely to see the pride you have in your family.

I wish I had your energy and time to spend with my green babies.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Ken

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you

Thanks so much Ken, having a forum to tell the G749 story is such a great privilege I hope we can keep it entertaining. The Halls of Steel Soldiers deserve to be filled with great stories of the trucks and folks like us that have some common interests, filling the seats of Steel Soldiers.

Had I been born a few years later, the diagnosis would have put me on a diet of ADHD pharmacy drugs and society would have calmed me down. Fortunately, corporal punishment was still allowed and Pops had his ways of directing our energy. We owe a lot to that guy so your recognition of him is greatly appreciated.

PA270624.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 NOS parts

It's still out there boys! These moments couldn't happen without attentive eyes focused on the prize so a big thanks to the PP's and other boys near Cold Lake. These were found years after we dragged a truck out of there and the guy wouldn't take any money for them. Can't say enough about local the MVPA guys.

NOS fenders, out of a barn and in the hands of the cosmoline boys that will keep these preserved like a fine acidic jam.

fndr.jpgfendrtag.jpgfender.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks