• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 security

This is too rich not to share so grab a drink. Seano11 needed to store his little truck at the G749 farm so I left the gate open when I pulled out on the 24th.

PB281376.jpgPB281374.jpgPB281362.jpg

Seano11 called, said he wouldn't make it and asked if he should go close the gate. I said no, sometimes I leave the gate open, sometimes I close it, the neighbours will watch it and call me if there's a problem. There has been some theft around the hood, 3 shots fired by neighbours, the few guys caught were young and should have asked for support from the YMCA or other local supporting organization.

The next day I had made a plan to go out but we had some freezing rain in the forecast so I let the smart folks drive on the road. So did Sean and one more day would pass before a few friends were headed out to do some work in the bush. It wasn't a big deal that the gate was open, I've left it open at night when I stay out there. It's been 4 decades, nothing has happened yet.

182611135h.jpg182611136h.jpg182611137h.jpg182611141.jpg182611142h.jpg182611146.jpg1826112016.jpg182611813.jpg

I'll need to apologize to these guys. They were so freaked out by what they saw they had to send a second team back the next morning to check it out again. See the times? A few boys showed up at what appears to be 5 hours after an elderly neighbour called them, then the morning shift had to check it out. The trucks are staged all over the place for photographers that like sexy backdrops. They're mostly out of direct sight-lines so these guys would have come around at least 3 corners in 5 minutes where MV's were staged. I can't imagine the conversations on the radio or back at the station. Some of them may know the trucks because we run with these guys in the Stony Plain parade.

Turns out an elderly neighbour that knew my Grandparents waaaay back in the day and lived miles away from the farm didn't know how to reach us. It is so sweet because not only did she report the gate open to the police, she called a few other neighbours who called my aunt, who finally called me. We're talking about a group of folks that are in their 80's and 90's watching over properties all over the county and making the RCMP earn their pay.....or simply taking care of things themselves.

I hope everyday the No Trespassing signs are enough to keep desperate folks asking for help and not trying to take it. One just never knows what might come walking around the corner demanding.......""" Identify.....friend or Doe""".

giwalkin.jpg deer18.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New G's in the fleet

There's a new sheriff in town! It has some odd modifications and we just noticed someone took the time to put the mobile command decal back on a plate over the modified radiator. This M135 Dump, pump, hoist, hydraulic lever, modified rad farm truck looking thing was recently owned by SuperDave so maybe he'll add more to the story. Mattech picked it up and he'd rather spend time welding, grinding, framing, electricalling, drywalling and being a grandpa then computing time so I'm posting pictures. Merry Christmas folks, it's a December 24, 1954 delivery date Number 3795.
P2221609.jpgP2221608.jpgP2221606.jpgP2221602.jpg
It was speculated that a farmer made the alterations and the funky looking rad work reveals some tight detail so mad skills touched this truck. When the snow melts, we'll get some shots of this new sheriff taking a dump.

P2221610.jpg

The entire reason I was given the opportunity to see the new truck is because Grandpa Mattech wanted to take a Grandson for a rip in the 6x6. There was some bragging going on about plowing through snow that was hitting the radiator but eventually, Groot the M211 stopped. It's good to have a friend with a Bobcat when you hit the bush with NDT's is all I'm going to say about that. Not many pics due to both hands on the controls but I did catch a video of a truck that needs a tune up.

P2221611.jpgP2221612.jpgP2221615.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFfp_lWJSJE&feature=youtu.be

Mattech

The picture of the tape measuring the snow was to the first level of crust, when we broke the crust and pushed it down it was over 24 inches of snow, those NDT's don't like ice crystals and were just spinning....Thanks to Plowboy(Batman) and his Bobcat, we got her out of the bottom end of our property and back in front of the garage, My Grandson was not so happy about the short ride, but maybe next time it will be a longer ride for him...lol

1944mb

Does your start well in the cold? Do you have a block heater for it? Mine starts very well into colder temps than I'd care to start it not plugged in. I have yet to get a heater put on it. It is amazing how totally worthless NDT are in snow. I think a Nascar would have more traction

Mattech

Does your start well in the cold? Do you have a block heater for it? Mine starts very well into colder temps than I'd care to start it not plugged in. I have yet to get a heater put on it. It is amazing how totally worthless NDT are in snow. I think a Nascar would have more traction
Yes actually Groot starts quite fine, I turn the master on and wait for about 10 seconds for the fuel pump to run and give him a couple of pumps on the accelerator and pull the lever and he starts up pretty good, I too have to install a in-line heater though and yes those NDT's are ugly on snow and ice...ROF

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 parts and pieces

The more we dig, the more neat things we find. These parts showed up thanks to a man that knew they'd get on a truck and not stay sitting in his barn. Check the shelves guys, a water-pump repair kit looks just like this.

P4011860.jpgP4011851.jpgP4011855.jpgP4011859.jpg

This manual from 1962 just showed up, I'll give you a peak.

P4011841.jpgP4011840.jpg

The full rear canvas showed up in new condition, brake cylinders...just a great pile of things.

P4011847.jpgP4011848.jpg

Found a door logo I can use for Goose.

P3261749.jpg

Everything is finding a shelf too so once the inventory is done we'll see what we have for spare parts to share. Let's keep those 6x6's rolling this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-hNaCh5hKo

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also I am having a hard time finding where I was asking about bed dimensions...search isn't helping me right now:-(
I used the term 'M135 bed size' in the search and your thread is on top. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?176429-M135-Bed-measurements-and-pictures

For your other question, what the what are you wanting to know? I'd start typing a bunch of guesses but its better to ask. Top of the frame rail to the top of the hard top?

Can we start calling you Tex soon?

gentrysgarage

I used the term 'M135 bed size' in the search and your thread is on top. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?176429-M135-Bed-measurements-and-pictures
Thanks I was using the term bed and gentrysgarage and having no luck

For your other question, what the what are you wanting to know? I'd start typing a bunch of guesses but its better to ask. Top of the frame rail to the top of the hard top?
dave's11.jpg
A pic is worth a thousand words so here;s a familiar face to help me out. From the top of the rear of the production cab top to the frame rail and the approximate rise to the peak of the top at the rear of the doors please!

Can we start calling you Tex soon?
LOL! Things went very well with the recon, but I think "Tex" would be too much. Though I think RedNeck would be closer title! I never realized how much I missed the south till I visited there.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Measure twice cut once early deuce lid

I'd take a wild guess that we'll come up with some different measurements with all those sassy curves. The back of the cab sits on a rubber puck and two springs so depending on wear, we could be out a couple of inches.

The point over the frame rail was easiest to measure at 62" but I'm guessing at the peak it's around 63 1/2". The side pieces over the door start at 4" and widen to 8".

What the what are you trying to build?

I'm likely stripping a cab off a burnt truck so we'll have a burnt back panel and slightly singed side panels for a hard top if you need templates. There's about 8 tops left in the bush but the boys want around $400.00 for them.....each.

P4241968.jpgP4231961.jpg

gentrysgarage

Awwwwweee nobody wants to play? :-( I need to start a thread and get some feedback so this next hint should make it clear, remember this goes with hint number one above...still waiting on orders then it GETS interesting! LOL!!!
IMG_2318.jpg

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you have sheaves for wire rope, and what seems to be a "trough" mocked up out of steel tubing... I'll hazard a guess and say it at least involves a winch in some capacity.
Needless to say I am looking forward to the reveal.

gentrysgarage

Carboarius,
Close the tubes are just sitting there but are part of the project. If I get my drawings darkened look for the unveiling of the project in the Deuce Mod subforum later today!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks