• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fall of 2019

Should make some nice forage. Are you guys able to combine that far north?
The edge of the boreal forest is less than 100 miles away but we're lucky enough to be in good soil. You'd think I could spot a Combine in the last week but I guess most areas aren't dry or ripe enough yet. They're cutting it close with the forecast we have rolling in. Looks like a good weekend for camping!

Screenshot_2019-09-24 Edmonton, AB - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada.jpg

From Bartley to Beerly to big bales on the bay, this 15 acres is in the wrap. 75 reasonable bundles of camo crop weighing in around 1400 lbs. each. Since it's in the wrap we can talk,.....for an oops crop, it's a nice crop.

P9140472.jpg19bartley.jpg 19harvbailer.jpg

The garden vegetables weren't much to speak of. Too cold too long, too wet too long so the Tom Green look alike got on his tiller and got it ready for next year. Yes sir, garden season is over and quick pickins' meant it was time to play. Goose helped out again and had 2 new drivers take the wheel.

19gooseharvest.jpgitiller.jpg

Merle sir I sure wish we made it to California. We missed half a year of earning potential with rain so I should have booked out of here June 16 and taken those 53 days of rain on the coast. If it's going to be raining, it sure would be nice to have an ocean near by. We've kept it quiet but the last 19 days here have been spectacular.

1909sunsetf.jpgP9160479.jpgP9160478.jpg

Even the critters were having a good month with the gate guard blending in better every day.
Can you see him?

P9140467.jpg

How about now?

P9140468.jpg

Get the gutters cleaned, the drainage checked, pull the freezable stuff out of the trucks, Check the anti-freeze, get the winter rubber ready, cut more firewood....much more firewood.

Another Ahab

Even the critters were having a good month with the gate guard blending in better every day.
Can you see him?
Okay, so please tell me, plowboy, Where's Waldo?!

Are you talking about the cottontail (or is that a hare), hanging out by the gatepost?

I'm not thinking a hare would hold still that long.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scariest bird in Canada

Gate Grouse guarding the grounds. Their tactic is frightening. They sit in one spot until you're on top of them. If a person's awareness isn't up, it can cause quite a fright. This is the scariest bird in Canada.

prairie chicken.jpg

Another Ahab

Gate Grouse guarding the grounds. Their tactic is frightening. They sit in one spot until you're on top of them. If a person's awareness isn't up, it can cause quite a fright. This is the scariest bird in Canada.
Pheasant must be their cousins.

Flushing one of them (in a non-hunting situation), will similarly scare the living daylights out of any unsuspecting body (almost put me into the old "fibrillation" one time).

It's a good tactic!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Future MV Owners, travelling to the future

Once again, the G749 farm hosted a group of cadets and a pile of green volunteers.

"Let's go camping", they said.

"It'll be fun for the kids", they said....... Is that snow?

P9270509.jpg

Fun for the kids because they get the heater and many of the officers don't. Temps dipped well below freezing so it wasn't an easy night for a bunch of tough "Ladies".......that's right I said ladies. With ages hitting into the ....almost retired age.... the Captain and many of the volunteers are female. I think the kids come out just to see the look on the Officer's faces when they crawl out of the sac in the morning.

P9270497.jpg

They come prepared with trailers and vans full of everything needed to make the kids comfortable, including a nurse.

P9270502.jpg P9270507.jpg P9270510.jpg P9270499.jpg

Goose the deuce did more than just look good in front of the brass,

P9280526.jpg P9280517.jpg

....she carried troops again.

P9280513.jpg P9280533.jpg

The opportunity exists to make more alliances with people that want access to these historical military vehicles. It just seems like the right time to organize and make historical MV's so important folks will rebel without them! We have 60 more kids hooked on the M135.

P9270504.jpg

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Piglet to rise

A big thanks today to Seano11 and the M931/23/A2/C4-102819 5 ton that pulled Piglet to new heights.

pigletpull.jpgPA110564.jpg

Piglet was gifted to the G749 farm so there's a priority over other trucks to see if she'll run and roll. Either way it's time to start unbolting the manure tank and clean some chaff off the farm. Anyone need a Pearson pump with an unknown condition pressure tank?

931pigpull.jpg

The tank has been listed up here for a while and I'm getting bites so it's coming off and Piglet could roll this winter! Anyone up for ice racing? The ponds are starting to freeze and it's a good thing because I can't get it level.

frozenp.jpg

We had a real special visit from a Dutch gent that watched V-1 rockets launch from his village towards the end of WW11. Fred is a local man who picks up metal around the hood and I got real lucky when I peaked in the back of his truck and spotted some big clevis's's. They make Goose look small.

frednclevis.jpgclevisc.jpgPA200574.jpg

Goose is parked in the barn although last year we had another month of decent weather to play so, batteries are still hot. We won't know if the heavy rains this summer means deep snow this winter but we're not taking any chances. Goose got surrounded by 6" steel posts and heavy steel angle iron to reinforce the wooden beams. I'm hoping for 6 feet of snow so, now I'm ready!

PA180567.jpg PA180568.jpg

If you haven't enjoyed a sunset lately, get out there!

PA180571.jpgPA110559.jpg

Attachments

Another Ahab

We had a real special visit from a Dutch gent that watched V-1 rockets launch from his village towards the end of WW11. Fred is a local man who picks up metal around the hood and I got real lucky when I peaked in the back of his truck and spotted some big clevis's's. They make Goose look small.

View attachment 781152
A witness to V-1 launches? Wow, that is something. Better to watch the launch than witness the touchdown, that's for sure.

And those shackles make ANYTHING look small!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goose's Goose's, like Charlie's Angels

APPLAUSE !
Sounds like you've got our winter plans all lined out.

By the way.... Why do cats just LOVE to play with MV parts and climb all over them too??? Do you think they fall for that camo deception???
I'm really not sure. Maybe we can get a big fat grant with some support from cat and bird lovers and do a study. My early conclusions are that MV's must be driven or this happens.

nest207.jpg

Then the cats show up for food.

IMG_20190629_175742.jpg

Golf Echo Whiskey Sierra

Goose Early Warning System just kicked in for you folks south of the border!!!! It's GEWS 1 boys, GEWSCON 1.

Goose had one more job to try before the cold hit us. This big ol' Poplar fell near a trail and gave Goose a challenge going up hill but we did it. You can see the stump size and hill ahead so this was a job for something bigger than a bobcat.

gtreep.jpg

Goose broke loose when we lost speed in low range near the top of the hill. She stopped, tires still spinning....... I took my foot of the throttle, let the tires bite, added just a touch of throttle and she'd move a few inches before she'd break loose again. We repeated the process, a few inches at a time until we crested the hill. Just amazing what the truck can do. I rotated the picture but apparently it wants to stay this way for effect.

gtree.jpg

GEWSCON 1

Right after we unhooked we heard an awful noise. Goose's sensors went off and the radar was flashing so we headed into the bush to investigate. Goose never ran so quiet, it's like the tree tug tightened her up and she prowled through the bush like a battery operated Growler.

When we got to the pond we could see them standing there. It must have been a thousand of them, refueling their bombays' with stagnant water, getting lubricated to drop their loads on targets south of the border.

191031goosepond.jpg

Goose's Goose's by the plane load getting ready to come south.........Get the covers on the cabs folks....GEWSCON 1, they're coming!

gr.jpggpondhaloween19.jpggpond.jpggl.jpg

Another Ahab

Goose's Goose's by the plane load getting ready to come south.........Get the covers on the cabs folks....GEWSCON 1, they're coming!

View attachment 782061View attachment 782067
Is Edmonton on tidewater? Looks that way, but I admit I do not know Edmonton (or even MUCH of Canada, except that you all are "up" there and we-uns are "down" here)!

And I'm guessing those are Canadas, right? But it is kind of dark, are they maybe Snow Geese, instead?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a nine acre, frozen pond at the edge of the prairies 40 miles west of Edmonton. Technology is sure fattening because now you can see most of it from your couch in minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY2gkEIYQlg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXRNdneN8PM

The nasty fliers standing on the ice are the Sullenberg assaulting Canada Geese. It's amazing that they don't take down more aircraft with the size of the gaggles and gangs they hang out with.

Another Ahab

That's a nine acre, frozen pond at the edge of the prairies 40 miles west of Edmonton. Technology is sure fattening because now you can see most of it from your couch in minutes.
Prairie, and I'm talking tidewater! DOH!!

That ice looked like tidal flats at first glance...

I need to stop being dumb and lazy and brush up my on my geography. All the popcorn is turning my mind to mush.

:mrgreen::roll:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts move

I need to stop being dumb and lazy and brush up my on my geography.

:mrgreen::roll:
I'll bet there's an app for that! Taking the drive from here to San Diego, Yuma, Phoenix, Tucson was an eye opener. It's quite the rock we're standing on!
Looked like an emptied fishpond Czech style to me :beer:

View attachment 782124
That's it. We stocked the 9 acres with Trout for years but it was tough keeping O2 up. One year the 3"-5" baby trout grew to 3 lbs and there was a bit of panic when Dad and the Uncle pulled over 200 of them into the rowboat from the nets. Now we fish online.

Somebody else was doing some fishing for transmissions so before we shut the G749 farm down for the winter, two hydromatics fell into the truck.

While we scheme a plan to get these down South, Stop hey, what's that sound everybody look what's going down....if we don't get a blizzard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5M_Ttstbgs

PB060580.jpg

Another Ahab

We stocked the 9 acres with Trout for years but it was tough keeping O2 up. One year the 3"-5" baby trout grew to 3 lbs and there was a bit of panic when Dad and the Uncle pulled over 200 of them into the rowboat from the nets.
Yeah, trout really are NOT pond fish.

What they love is moving, tumbling water, and they pick some of the prettiest water in the world to hang out in.

THAT'S what makes trout fishing so much fun!

A1.jpg

rustystud

I'll bet there's an app for that! Taking the drive from here to San Diego, Yuma, Phoenix, Tucson was an eye opener. It's quite the rock we're standing on!

That's it. We stocked the 9 acres with Trout for years but it was tough keeping O2 up. One year the 3"-5" baby trout grew to 3 lbs and there was a bit of panic when Dad and the Uncle pulled over 200 of them into the rowboat from the nets. Now we fish online.

Somebody else was doing some fishing for transmissions so before we shut the G749 farm down for the winter, two hydromatics fell into the truck.

While we scheme a plan to get these down South, Stop hey, what's that sound everybody look what's going down....if we don't get a blizzard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5M_Ttstbgs

View attachment 782150

Oh I so want those transmissions !!!! :drool:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happy Birthday

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Short Stack!

Can you imagine exactly 63 years ago someone in Wayne Michigan pulled a pipe off the shelf, extended her tongue out and licked the glue on the back of this label.
There it is November 1956...still there!

PB230669.jpg

I can't believe it's been a week already but....just last week that label made it North attached to a sassy short G749 Stack.

PB230664.jpg

I made a good trade when I grabbed the best one of these and a few other parts for a cross-border exchange. Even our tall stacks aren't all the same tall.

PB140603.jpg

Goose is real happy we can back into the barn without taking the extension off every time we go home. Thanks fellas!

PB230673.jpg PB230674.jpg PB230670.jpg

Also delivered from the South by a great big dude from Montana ......what do you guys eat down there?..........are two panels specific to a certain type of MV the G749 farm needs real bad.

PB230665.jpg

One other shiny component, hauled past radiation and metal detectors over the border, also made it into my hands. Until I'm sure what it is and have permission from whatever space agency made it, I just can't post pictures. What I can say is this real early 1952 GMC 6x6 M135 number 685 and built 6 / 27 / 52 is looking forward to going topless and stopping at the beach.

PB230640.jpg

Cool features on this early M135 with an older light switch and that rare and sassy rear view mirror.

PB230642.jpgPB230647.jpgPB230651.jpgPB230648.jpg

rustystud

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Short Stack!

Can you imagine exactly 63 years ago someone in Wayne Michigan pulled a pipe off the shelf, extended her tongue out and licked the glue on the back of this label.
There it is November 1956...still there!

View attachment 783620

I can't believe it's been a week already but....just last week that label made it North attached to a sassy short G749 Stack.

View attachment 783624

I made a good trade when I grabbed the best one of these and a few other parts for a cross-border exchange. Even our tall stacks aren't all the same tall.

View attachment 783625

Goose is real happy we can back into the barn without taking the extension off every time we go home. Thanks fellas!

View attachment 783621 View attachment 783622 View attachment 783619

Also delivered from the South by a great big dude from Montana ......what do you guys eat down there?..........are two panels specific to a certain type of MV the G749 farm needs real bad.

View attachment 783623

One other shiny component, hauled past radiation and metal detectors over the border, also made it into my hands. Until I'm sure what it is and have permission from whatever space agency made it, I just can't post pictures. What I can say is this real early 1952 GMC 6x6 M135 number 685 and built 6 / 27 / 52 is looking forward to going topless and stopping at the beach.

View attachment 783629

Cool features on this early M135 with an older light switch and that rare and sassy rear view mirror.

View attachment 783630View attachment 783627View attachment 783628View attachment 783626
Is that a septic tank cleaner on that Deuce ? Oh the indignity !!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks