• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Things are moving along so I thought she deserves her own thread.

A couple of progress pics for the record.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135 Paint Scheme

Had a rain delay priming the M135 this weekend so it allowed more time to think about paint schemes........which is bad.
There's as many options as there are people so I thought I'd throw it out there.

What would everyone do if they could choose the paint scheme for their 1956 M135CDN?

We thought we'd go original drab however after seeing a local M135 with a camo job, I'm not sure.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

May 23rd, 2010.

Make my vote for Semi-Gloss OD.... Much easier to maintain then any of the ultra flats and less likely to attract rust to your hood and fenders, too!:shock:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6 hr prime

We cheated and taped dash and important other items so we could get a little more primer preservation to places that might not see removal for a few years.

Prepped the truck with cab open, windows open and with nothing else to do for six hours, started spraying.

If you ever do this, take a patience pill because shooting primer into as many cavities as possible means rolling on the floor for at least two of the six hours. Gravity feed guns don't shoot upside down for some reason.

Endura Delta primer layed down fairly good but the outside temps went to about +3C last night so the shop was cool by the time we shut off the lights at 4:30AM.

Off to see the wizard at his paint shop to mix me some OD.

Attachments

m109guy

Looks good. The grey primer will help the green paint pop when you get it on.

Is the bed originally on the truck when you found it going back on? Looks like a nice bed with all those utility boxes.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave, you gotter.....this is half way through......but even after another coat it's not perfect, but she's friggin beautiful. I was 12hrs straight through, in a mask applying paint and that was enough for now. She's covered up enough to take 'er in public, in the bush, in the mud and parade her proud for the vets. Someday when I find more then a weekend, I'll strip the cab down, wet sand and do it R I G H T E R.
I'm anxious to get at the fluids, brakes, lights, exhaust, tune-up, leak stop, engine seals(got'em) trani seals (got'em), rear window, rear window support, tie rod ends, steering, u-joints, box, paint du box, bows, tarp, spare tire holder, spare tire, filters, bearings, spark-plugs(got'em), points, governer set-up, trani shift timing, 4 tires?...or 6 (7) 11.00 - 20's, spare fuel can, fuel tank, fuel tank gaskets.

........and I'm good for an inspection to get it registered......

.........should be done...........soon..........sometime........maybe this year.....even sooner.......

however, just like m109guy said, "the grey primer will make the green paint pop"

Oh so right.......1 1/2 gallons with 20% thinner was not enough to cover the grey but it really only shows up with the camera flash.........looks amazing sitting in the dark shop or racing by at a set of lights. One needs to look hard to see any flaws, the grey base gives it a different color depending on the light and what angle you're at. .......so I'll just get everyone drunk before they look at er'.....

Over'all, she's pretty good for a back-yard quick seal......as long as Dave's truck isn't around for a comparison.

So many things I'd do different

1) a) Prime with green primer...just like the wizard said
b) Allow more then a long weekend and 47hrs to get it done from tape to paint
c) Allow more then 12hrs in 'the booth' to apply more then 3 coats or 1.5 gallons of Endura Paint. Bump it up to 5 coats and 3 gallons
d) Buy spray booth with lights, temperature and dust control
e) Use a large tub of paint with a suction gun to avoid filling pots
f) Start painting with $600.00 saka gun instead of fighting with cheap lazy gun for a day
g) learn how to paint
h) cut down all the poplar trees to keep the fuzz outta the shop
i) If applying OD paint on a gem like this when what ya want to do is get in and drive it.................lower the expectations and get it done...........you'll have time to detail it when ya retire!!

We had to get the rims on and move it and 'pops' suggested putting some wax paper on the smokin, shiny hubs. Nicest part of the paint job.

Anyone got any opinions on pro's and con's about trying to keep the paint from gluing stuff together using wax paper? What options are there?

Thanks to everyone for the drive to go OD........it is perfect.

Stan....we go race now? If I can afford to tweak it enough to hiway it.....The ocean is going to have a visitor....maybe we can visit yours on our way to Pender Island.

I'm not sure who's responsible for copying the thousands of pages from the manuals or making all the TM's available or setting up a site like this with all the support.....but I need to praise them for the work. The support is amazing.
700 more pages to read before I can take off the air breather.

Now..........for the mechanical......gonna be nice twistin' wrenches on a clean truck.

It's good having Canadian content.....but I sure like the red, white and blue!

Attachments

paulfarber

Great work... but from reading your 'wish list' I would caution you about 'over restoring' an MV. Nothing makes me walk past a truck faster than seeing an MV 'restored' to a level it never saw in Military service. Epoxy paint is all the rage in the jeep world now. No way to get a FLAT green look when your primer is slick as glass.

My jeep has over spray on the hood and national emblems. I plan on hand painting the bumpers. The only thing I stenciled was the registration numbers.

So when you tell me a truck does NOT have 12 coats of lacquer or imron paint but has splotches, runs and overs pray then you have restored it :soapbox:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks