• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
June 6

June 6, an amazing day in history. It may be the most significant day that allowed me to lay under an old truck in a dusty shop and drain more fluids.....Kokanee to be specific.

For all those past and present in the military.......Thank you for doing what you do!

Not much progress on the ol' girl but 'all' fluids are out ready to start pulling a few pans to throw some new gaskets on.

QUESTION: Should diffs (and other fluid holding components) be "washed out" prior to running new fluids in them? Will the tiny amount of 'water' contaminant left in the cavities really be a problem? Can't find these anal details in the TMs so need to ask.

I found cream in the forward/ rear diff and in the PTO off the side of the transmission. All other fluids she dropped were reasonably clean.

Still need to find out what flavor of fluid the Winch wants but think we're on the way with everything else.

Here's what we have to put in and what I still need to research on.

Winch lubricant ??? It gets to minus 40 out here and she'll never see a cold start but she will run at 0C 32F as often as I can run er'. We get stuck often and I will be running the winch in freezing temperatures.

Engine....302 running 10 w 30......Question about Zinc additive was thrown my way so need to research that.

Transmission......Straight 10 weight....NON-DETERGENT

Diffs......Good ol 80/90 wt.

Rad....this one is being debated in-house still. Most say that off the shelf anti-freeze is OK but I've heard that there might be some harsh chems that may 'scrub' some delicate internal brass? components.....ANY OPINIONS?

Brake fluid..... I've heard DOT 3 and I've heard DOT 5........until we settle it and replace brake cylinders, DOT nothing is going in!!! Research needed.

Compressor......Compressor oil??? Research needed.

OK.......not many new pictures of the M135 with the exception of the hood going on so I'll post a few shots of some parade toys from the weekend.

Pops in trouble with mounties again.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ID Question

Finally got back at the M135 and every time I touch it I learn something new.

A number appeared on the dash when we started to clean some rattle can paint off.

Is there any way to track this serial number and learn more about this truck?

Using "Goof off" to clean it up started taken the paint nicely down to the original paint. A little polish and looks like brand new.

Attachments

Stan Leschert

I'm going to tease you. Once the Canada Day festivities are over, I will post a couple of pics, of the restoration of the "Big Green Army Truck". This is before Leo became the owner, and I got lucky enough to be demoted to driver. We have done some really good work with that ancient beast. I think that she is enjoying her pampered retirement!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out the door

Finally, fuel tank freshened up and bolted on. All fluids dumped and new lube everywhere.
Drove her out the door tonight and next door to someone with more time and tools.
Brakes, exhaust, lights, box and more seals, I'm sure, is all that's left.....right?

Onward

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics Stan....Pics

Ok Stan....I'm patient but it's like you're teasin until Thanks Giving. Pics please.

I'm out West as soon as the Frost hits.....I need some ocean.....When it gets closer I'll PM you an itinerary and get out there to see the toys.

Camped Tofino in November last year and it was beautiful.

Peace

Dave

Stan Leschert

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New exhaust and U joints

I ordered up a bunch of parts from Brian A. out of Ontario and happily received several 'new' OS, well packed boxes last week.

In the mean time the boys from Specialty Truck Products hammered through the U-joints and replaced 2 of the worst. I had to put a picture up of the 'motor to transfer' u's....nice work by Travis.

We bolted up the exhaust on Saturday and hauled the entire family around the swamp for the day.

One problem we found is that we need to keep the fuel tank full because as it's crawling the 45 degree hills, all the fuel runs away from the pump.

When the trani is shifting in Low Range "Level" from 2nd to 3rd she slaps pretty hard so I only let her go through the power bands a few times.

Nothing that reading a few hundred pages of manuals or SuperDave can't fix once time allows.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Paint is Endura.....the new "delta" primer and paint which is a 4:1 ratio - 2 part paint.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fall color fishin

Got to rip around in the 6x again and take her down to the lake for some fishin. The fall colors up here are so amazing I had to share the pics.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks