• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rotting Gold

Had to post pics of the latest parts search. Found some cool stuff....and some things that I wish I found earlier....before they began to rot. Apparently everything is for sale.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Static Display and more pics

A couple of us got together at the local armouries for a display on the weekend.....I had to show the detail pics of SuperDave's 135...So perfect....and more rotting gold.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rolling chassis view

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9A-_YX7Rw[/media]

Proof she runs. Taking everyone for rides we thought we'd do a chassis shot.

I'd be the one running like a monkey.

I am getting ready to sell someone n1bnc so I can do a little salvaging before the snow flies. Should have thought of that long ago.:wink:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continued Preservation

Stan......finally got a break.....lots of snow to push. I'm going to do everything I can to get this girl looking as original as possible. I found a good selection of parts which should net me a box, rails, hoops, spare-tire carrier, pintle and a few more misc. pieces. Once the frost and snow goes away I'm going to get at it again.

In the mean time preserving the 6X6 means running her and the weather warmed up enough to go play again. Shes been stored in a tent at the ranch so I had no idea how she'd start. Dropped in the batteries and she fired right away. Amazing what maintenance, filters and fluid does to keep them running.

One of the boys buried his toy on the lake so we picked up 250' of winch cable for the 6X6 and went out to rescue it. We resorted to a tow sling and yanked the durarammer out of the reeds. After we rescued it we drove it back into the deepest snow bank we could find.........so we can go rescue it again next weekend.

Here's a few photos.

video to follow

Attachments

Stan Leschert

You will find that unless you have months of -40, you won't need the primer pump. Most of ours got bypassed. Put a bit of weight on the back and you'll be amazed at the way it handles in the white crap. I like the winch. Ours will get mounted this spring... when I tear myself away from the resoration of of a 26 year old motorbike.

goodfellaelvin

Had to post pics of the latest parts search. Found some cool stuff....and some things that I wish I found earlier....before they began to rot. Apparently everything is for sale.

Hi---i like the pictures. can you tell me where they are located? junkyard , scrapyard, where can i go? that fj jeep can be nice and my eye is on somethin else so let me know. thank you

Stan Leschert

Thanks again for posting Super Dave's M135. That is probably the finest example of that series of truck, and it's probably time for him to update his old thread. A lot of guys will be drooling over that one!

As for the farmer's storage area, we're still looking for a PTO and the control levers for the winch. Let me know if you find something good. I just have to make my brother go on a short road trip from Edmonchuck, to pick me some parts!

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135 pulls on a duramax

As promised the M135 in action.....again.

It's a long vid and the pulling doesn't start until 4:50 in because.......there's no sense working too efficiently.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyzHxkZ8qlE[/media]

Goodfellaelvin..........the farm field loaded with collectibles is located in Central Alberta Canada...........Right now covered by 3 feet of snow and stuck in 6 feet of frost. Let me know what you're looking at and I'll see if I can help. The jeep is original from what I remember.

It's a museum piece Stan. Here's some more shots of it.

Attachments

goodfellaelvin

thanks M1010. Canada huh? is the fj jeep for sale, and if yes how much? now the thing i do want is a m135 or m211 that's in those pictures. are they for sale? let me know whats up.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brakes

Finally dug the 56' out of her hole for the winter and hauled it to the big City.

I've got a great neighbour that found a home in his busy shop and he started r+r ing brakes before I had a chance to find the on button for the camera.

We'll try and get lots of shots. Rollie the mechanic has already fabricated a bolt assembly that was missing and seems to have more solutions then the 6x has problems. The removal went fairly easy with exception of the black coal and dirt packed into everything. Drums were in good shape

Ordered most of the parts shoes, cylinders, seals from Brian Asbury. After pulling it apart we had to find gaskets part# 3303112 and 24 copper washers that need to or should be replaced.

We'll be getting on to the rest of the brake system, steering and electrical and should have it road ready sometime in the future......some future.....sometime.

Did a video of her crawlin' through a little snow.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jERtBIPIy5M[/media]

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thems the Brakes

Pulled the drums off the other side and got a few pics of what your brakes may look like just before you need them.

Requiring 12 more 'brass?' washers for the brake-line bolts which will probably clearly show up in the TMs.
Where's SuperDave when you need him?

Throwin' up another pic of a 6x spotted in San Diego. Apparently her brakes don't work either.

Attachments

nattieleather

I remember when I did that. My shoes were in great shape as well as the drums. It was the cylinders and the adjusters and springs that needed help.

Stan Leschert

I just got the heads up that a Prarie Chicken is winging his way to the coast! He'll soon be leaving Kelowna, and should arrive here just in time for some good weather. It will be nice to talk to anither M135 addict, and just maybe we'll warm up the old green machine. After being used to Super Dave's machine, he'll be a bit spoiled, but our beast is almost as nice, and we have better scenery out here.

To be followed by manditory refreshment at the Legion !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks