• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

L999here

....finally learned how...!!

Needed to visit the 'orphans' and snap some pics for posterity. Not even the wife knows how much of this 'history' is stored at another collector's place in the county. Pics...thru the weeds..are of a USMC 400 gal water buffalo,M105 cargo,M105 w/10K generator,M105 NBC set-up (storm shredded cover),M105 w/ tents/canvas for military 'meetings'....LOL. O...yeah...and even though it is not on wheels....this is the coolest M2HB mount I've ever had. Have to keep it in a museum...MK16 naval mount w/M126 cradle and one of my semi M2HB's. The FA goes on the FV432...my avatar.

Attachments

wildbilly1760

Here is a pic of my 105A2 being pulled with my mini-CUCV. Before anyone gets upset, I just used the mini to move the trailer around my property. I thought it looked neat so I snapped a picture with the kid. I bought it about 3 months ago from Sephiraqu on this site. I recently have been hauling junk steel to the scrapper in it and it is working flawlessly behind the m-109 deuce. In the future I would like to fix up a few body rust problems and get sides and a cover for it. Then a shot of some Rapco CARC substitute to match the deuce.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a pic of my 105A2 being pulled with my mini-CUCV. Before anyone gets upset, I just used the mini to move the trailer around my property. I thought it looked neat so I snapped a picture with the kid. I bought it about 3 months ago from Sephiraqu on this site. I recently have been hauling junk steel to the scrapper in it and it is working flawlessly behind the m-109 deuce. In the future I would like to fix up a few body rust problems and get sides and a cover for it. Then a shot of some Rapco CARC substitute to match the deuce.

Dang! Talk about bumper-match-up !
You could almost camp under the back of that trailer!

Thanks for posting it up - and for the backstory to prevent SAFETY rants :driver:

reb87

It is rated to handle 22K lbs payload. Air ride suspension.

c. Purpose of Equipment. To transport 22,000 pounds of payload.
(1) Eight 40 x 28 inch ammunition pallets.
(2) Four evenly distributed Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) pods.
(3) Two fuel bladders and two fuel pods.

a. The HEMAT is a four-wheel trailer of lowboy design with a box-beam frame with
large tires for off-road capability. The cargo area is constructed of steel with
ship lap wood decking. The fore and aft decks are raised above the cargo deck and
contain the suspension and steering systems.
b. The suspension is an air-bag type suspension for smooth riding and off-road
stability. The steering system is that of a normal front-wheel truck steering
linkage and is controlled by the towbar assembly.
c. The raised fore and aft decks are constructed with tread plate to minimize
slipping or falling when working on the decks.
d. The side panels are removable for easier loading from either side.
e. There are four cargo tiedown rings at each end of the cargo deck and seven on
each side. There are also four evenly distributed MLRS pod stops located at each
corner of the deck. These pod stops are removable to allow other types of cargo.
f. Lift rings are located fore and aft on each side of the raised decks to allow
the HEMAT to be sling loaded or helicopter transported. There are also four vehicle
tiedowns located at each corner of the under deck for railroad transporting.
g. A storage box located in the box beam frame at the rear of the trailer is
used to store tool boxes, parts, and accessories for extended use of the trailer.
h. The HEMAT will normally be towed by the M985 Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical
Truck (HEMTT). Load capability of the HEMAT is 22,000 pounds of munitions.
i. The towing vehicle provides electrical power through an intervehicular cable
for the HEMAT clearance lights, brake lights, and turn signals.
j. Air is also supplied from the towing vehicle to the HEMAT air system, which
includes three air tanks, air lines, four air suspension bags, and the four-wheel
air brakes.
k. On-board trailer equipment includes a spare tire, jack, jack stand, lug
wrench and handle, eight tiedown straps, and a fire extinguisher. Intervehicular
electrical cable is stored in the storage box when not in use. Chocks are provided
to stabilize the trailer when parked.
l. The trailer is equipped with an air hose fitting to allow use of the HEMTT
air hose to inflate the tires. On old trailers with serial numbers 2000 and below,
with bias ply tires, air pressure in tires should be lowered from 100 psi for
highway travel to 65 psi for off-road travel. On new trailers with serial numbers
2001 and up, with radial tires, air pressure is 105 psi under all travel
conditions, highway and off-road.

Attachments

jesusgatos

I want to know more about these. I would really like to be able to haul shipping containers behind Mah Deuce, and I thought I was going to have to use a regular 5th wheel dolly and shipping container trailer. Anybody have any experience with these things? Looks like there are manual and powered versions. How do they load and unload? Are they hard to find? How much should I expect to have to pay for one?

T

televisionman007

here is my trailer. I am converting in to a 4 person sleeper with a/c tv satellite mobile internet the list goes on. These r the pics from GL im still awaiting its arrival home. IF ANY ONE HAS AN 818 FOR SALE THAT WOOD LIKE TO DO SOME HORSE TRADING AND SOME CASH, i have a corvette and a 67 camaro bb drag car almost done. Have vw sand rail with porsche motor from 67. Even have a 61 cushman truckster and a 8X8 ARGO AMPHIBIOUS ALL TERRAIN VEHICHLE. Let me know

Attachments

Last edited:

Triple Lindy

This is a 10 year old marine Mk17 LVS 20 ton trailer in super shape. It has the vynal top and side boards that can be removed. It also has troop seats inside that can also be remopved so all you have left is a flat bed trailer. I think I am going to be putting it up for sale but I have a few questions....does anyone know if this can b trailered? It is supposed to be hooked up to a front power unit and beconnected to the trailer with an articulated joint that allows a drive shaft to power the four trailer wheels. When you add the four drive wheels of the front power unit it becomes a 8 X 8 rig. The question is if you disconnect the drive shaft and have the axles free wheel will it hurt the differentials?

Attachments

Last edited:

Triple Lindy

The Logistics Vehicle System (LVS) is a modular system consisting of a Mk-48 front power unit (FPU) and interchangeable rear body units (RBU).

This trailer was the cargo carrying version of the LVS trailer. It had 12000 lb crane on the back which has been removed. LVS is used by Marine Corps combat service support motor transport units to deliver large quantities of supplies, containers, equipment, armored vehicles, or ammunition from beachheads, airfields, ports and railheads.

I do not have the front power unit but can tow it around the place with a large truck. The trailer weighs about 20,000 lbs.

I think the LVS was replaced with the HEMMIT and I got it two years ago in a GL auction. It's really cool.

I would love to hear from people who really USED them. I called Oshkosh Truck to get some technical questions answered but got no response. Since I have no FPU and have the power driveshaft disconnected I would love to know if I can tow it larger distances or at higher speeds without worry of damaging the differential/transfer case.

exbrown

This is a 10 year old marine Mk17 LVS 20 ton trailer in super shape. I think I am going to be putting it up for sale but I have a few questions....does anyone know if this can b trailered?

I love it. Looks like it is in great shape.

I have a MK18 trailer, and have been looking for one of the pintle hitch adapters like is on yours. What are you going to be asking for the trailer?

Triple Lindy

Not sure I am "allowed" to say in the forum but it is in the classified section now. I felt like I was lucky to get one with the Pintle hitch adapter. Most that were auctioned did not have one. I remember seeing an auction with maybe 10 of the pintle hitch adapters and it seemed kind of odd to sell them separately. I have not seen them since. This brings us back to the original question....can it be trailered without damage to gearbox/differential when drive shaft is removed? Why would they offer the pintle hitch adapters if this was not the case??? I wish I could get someone from OshKosh truck or someone who knows to confirm this.

One last thing that might be interesting to the forum. I had to get it from Camp Pendleton in CA to Minnesota two years ago. I used uship.com to arrange a shipper. They coordinate shippers and people to need "stuff" moved and often use these types of loads to eliminate deadheads. I have this trailer (25,000 lbs remember with crane) moved 2000 Miles from CA to MN for only about $2000. I thought this was obviously not cheap but still a GREAT deal. It was moved on a lowboy trailer that could separate in the middle so it could be towed off easily.

jesusgatos

I don't know anything about that trailer, but couldn't imagine that you'd damage it by towing it. What I'd be thinking about is making a driveshaft and coupler for a deuce/5-ton though. It's highly likely that my M103 trailer will end up with another deuce rear axle under it someday...

Triple Lindy

I am going to take some pictures of the drive linkage and post it. The drive shaft is disconnected obviously where it would have been connected to the MK 48 FPU but it is also disconnected from the transfer case. I will post pics and maybe it will help explain my concern. Just trying to think through if having it free wheel will cause any more heating than having it "powered"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks