• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to..... Transmission Changeout.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to change my transmission on the deuce and threatened to write this....
How to change a transmission.

First, let me say I am not a mechanic by trade. I am mechanically inclined, but by no means do I do this for a living. This is the way I did it, and I'm sure there are a million others ways. This was the easiest for me.

I also want to thank my friends JB & Mike Seeling and Dennis Lawbrey for their time and allowing me to pick their brains!

I put it in a step by stem format because I find that the easiest to follow.

OK, here we go:

Task: Changing a deuce transmission.

Approximate time 6-8 hours. I am making the assumption you have already diagnosed you need a new transmission and have it on hand.

Tools used:
One (1) VERY good friend.
Two (2) 7/8 Combination wrenches.
Two (2) 3\4 Combination wrenches
One (1) 5/8 Combination wrench
One (1) 11/16th Combination wrench
One (1) 9/16th Wrench and socket
One (1) 7/16th Wrench and socket
One (1) Wire come-a-long 5k lifting capacity
Two (2) short 3/8 chains
One (1)Metal pole approximately 10 feet long minimum ¼” thick sides.
Approx. one (1) gallon 90 weight gear oil.
One (1) 5 gallon bucket.
One (1) small hammer
One (1) Crow bar

Difficulty: Medium (because of the weights involved and stabbing the transmission in).

Step 1: Place your deuce on level ground and chock the wheels. Put your transmission AND transfer case in neutral.

Step 2: Using your 7/16th socket remove the transmission covers from the floor of the cab.

Step 3: With your 5/8th and 11/16th wrenches, remove your gear shifter.

Step 4: From under the truck using your ¾ wrenches you will remove the output shaft on your transmission. This can be tricky. The bolts and nuts are ¾, but you can't get a socket on them due to the lack of clearance (See output shaft picture “A”). You will also run into a leverage problem. For the front part of the output shaft I ended up putting the end of one of my ¾ wrenches on top of the brake master cylinder and double wrenching the other ¾ with a 7/8th to get enough leverage. (See “Double Wrench Output Shaft Picture”), on the rear, I braced against the transfer case. Remove all 8 bolts and remove your output shaft. The reason you put your transmission and transfer case in neutral is because it will allow you to spin this shaft by hand to maneuver the bolts into the optimal position for removal. If your transmission is fubarred and will not do this, have your friend push the clutch to allow you to move it.

Step 5: Unhook your clutch linkage from the pivot of the transmission and your petal shaft. (See “Clutch Linkage” pic). Your clutch linkage probably has a pin in it instead of a bolt. If this is the case, put a screwdriver on the outside of the pin with the lip and tap with a hammer. It should pop out far enough for you to remove the linkage rod. DO NOT HIT IT TOO HARD! There is a spring returned ball bearing holding the pin in place and you can knock it out).

Step 7: Remove the 9/16th lower bell housing bolts. Our trucks have adapter plates on them. The bolts to remove are the inner bolts holding the housing, not the outer bolts holding the adapter plate. (See pic Bell Housing Adapter Plate Bottom).

Step 8: Using your 3/4” wrenches, remove the rear side of the front drive shaft and move it out of the way.

Step 9: From the cab, assemble your lifting gear. With your doors closed, place the metal pole across the doors of your truck. One chain will be used to hold your come-a-long to the pole and the other bolt to the top of the transmission in a top right to bottom left configuration. Make it tight as you have to have clearance to raise the transmission. (See Picture “Lifting Device”.)

Step 10: Remove the remaining bolts from the transmission housing.

Step 11: With a friend below raise the transmission and have him use the pry bar to move the transmission to the rear of the truck to unseat it. Be careful not to damage your clutch plate ans ensure he does not get under the transmission itself as this poses a crush hazard!

Step 12: Lower the transmission to the ground.

Step 13: Slide old transmission out and new transmission into place.

Step 14: Raise new transmission into place and seat.

Step 15: Reverse the steps 2 through 10 to install your new transmission.

Step 16: Remove the drain plug from the rear bottom of your transmission and allow it to drain completely into the bucket. Reinstall drain plug. Remove the fill plug from the drivers side and fill with 90w gear oil until it seeps. Reinstall the fill plug.

Step 17: Adjust your linkage until you have approximately 2” of play in your clutch.

Step 18: Double check all bolts etc for tightness, call it a day and buy your buddy a case of beer.

REMEMBER: SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT! USE PPE IF POSSIBLE AND DO NOT TAKE CHANCES! THESE TRUCKS CAN KILL OR SERIOUSLY INJURE YOU!

Attachments

FL_Frank

wow, thank you! I am not looking forward to dropping my tranny (to do the clutch eventually), but sure am glad you made this guide to make it easier. Thanks!

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
You forgot the part about the wrench slopping off busting your hand into something immovable and lots of foul words!:grd:

• Haha
Reactions: HDN

wehring

track jack

I am sure one of you will know where the pic is on here but someone used a hi-lift jack along with the comealong. Open the windshield and put the hilift front to back between the open window and back of the cab. This allows you to move the trans fwd or back along with the up and down of the comealong.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

• Wow

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, grow a pair.....you don't need no stinking freind to help....LOL :p

I've change out about 4 now all by myself. I did use a chain hoist instead of a comealong.

Another option that worked for me was to open the front window and run the pipe from the back of the cab and out the window. That way you can still open the doors to get in and out.

Great writeup by the way.

Last edited:

Jakob

I used an engine hoist through the passenger side door. It has JUST enough reach, but reinstalling it is a chore. I've dropped my trans twice now. The second time around, by myself, was 5 hours (with some troubles) from start to replacing the rear main seal. I think it took me another 4-5 hours to reinstall. I'd say one person could do a clutch/rear main replacement in 8 hours if no major problems occur.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, the point of this write up was to use the tools I had and give guidance to those of us who may not have trans jacks, engine hoists etc.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, the point of this write up was to use the tools I had and give guidance to those of us who may not have trans jacks, engine hoists etc.
An excellent job writing this up. Many working on Deuces don't have access to professional tools, such as transmission jacks.

Jakob

I bought my hoist used for $100, it's a collapsible kind. Works great for all kinds of heavy deuce parts too... wheel/tire combos, axle parts, etc.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great post. Lots of good info.

I did mine twice by myself. It was a learning experience. This site sure helped me with a lot of great suggestions on how to remove a Deuce transmission.

One hint; After its all back together and you go to test it, make sure you put the transfer case back in gear. Otherwise you will be very upset when the truck wont budge. Then when you finally figure out why it wont move, you laugh and curse at yourself for forgetting that it was in neutral.

Now I get to do the dreaded Deuce head gasket job.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for takin the time to photograph and document George's tranny removal and replacement! It's what we do, help each other. Some are mechs, some are doctors, some were even Marines! Thanks again Ken!
God bless!

Tony:-D

JOAT 0311

Kendelrio, nice write up. I will be pulling a trans soon. The tools used were a nice touch. I think I will be by myself with a bobcat. How much do we think that tranny weighs?

wsucougarx

I was fortunate enough to be on ebay at the right time when Jwaller put his USGI tranny hoist up. I don't need it just yet, but when the time comes it'll be waiting

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kendelrio, nice write up. I will be pulling a trans soon. The tools used were a nice touch. I think I will be by myself with a bobcat. How much do we think that tranny weighs?
Easily a couple hundred pounds. Get it as close as possible, and if you can, put it on some type of roller platform.

ptg530C

rent a trans jack to install and use an engine hoist thru the side door for removal - 5 hours the first time- make sure you put a couple of sheets of plywood on the ground so you can move the trans jack around, unless you are doing it on concrete. you can rent them from most tool rental places cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks