• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M38a1 project

dougimes

Uh Oh,

here we go again. I was driving down the road in the middle of no where in SC, minding my own business when I see a1 on a trailer in this fellas yard.

Stop of course.

He was selling it, got it as a trade for work and was going to sell it to some rock crawler who told him the transmission and transfer alone were worth a few hundred.

SN 99357. only thing it is missing is the assistant operator seat and the blackout light.

a check for 1300 and now the fun begins.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very good. M38A1's rock.

I like your carport.

dougimes

a couple more pix.

pulled plugs and sprayed some lube down the holes. Was able to turn the engine. hot wired the starter and moved the engine with the starter. any possibility this thing will run? Be fun to fing out.

can read the number X11 395E from the bumper. Sanded a little on the hood looking for a number. can faintly make out an S A (USA?) and parts of numbers. need some time to try and lift the hood number.

See some rebuild tags from fort Jackson, circa '68, and the windshield has a DOD sticker from 82. Wonder what finally took it out of service and where it went. Wish it could tell me.

Colors are Gull Gray, over Blue, over OD.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am amazed it still has the YS950 on it.

dougimes

update on some quick progress

pb blaster down the jugs, bug wrench on the crank and the engine broke free. Cleaned the carb out, temp fuel line, check the points, hot wire the coil.

Started after some patient cranking. Missed badly until bad plug wire replaced. One valve stuck which some time long ago broke a rocker arm.

Unstuck the valve, new rocker arm and she runs reasonably well. Idle not too good, but needs new points, and a carb rebuild.

Ran it just to see what I am dealing with.

zout

That Zout is a slow poke and it will take him forever rofl

His looks a lot nicer body shape wize and I did not even attempt to play with the engine to fire it up - #1 was spun anyhow and I was looking for long term out of the engine - nothing worse than my wife breaking down and having my ears pierce with knowing she is screaming my name :roll:.

This is a great thread and keep up the pics and the progress on your jeep.

dougimes

I am on a roll sort of. I'll make pretty good progess till may, then I am going to be gone a bit for work.

Tomorrow will be a big day, got a care package from Surplus City yesterday. Clutch plate, wheel cylinders, brake lines. Tomorrow goal is clutch and put 3 speed and transfer back in.

Having a ball.

Attachments

dougimes

Made some progress over the weekend.

Fired up the engine after a long hibernation since engine work and repaint.

Ran terrible. Missing, rich. wouldn't idle.

Trouble shooting rule 1
If it runs bad, its ignition. Check everyting, make it right, make it perfect.

Rule 2
If it still runs bad, and you are ready to dig into fuel, go back over the ignition and find out what you overlooked twice.

Did that, ignition ok, so I rebuilt the carb $45 kit.

Still ran terrible.

Now looking for something new, found the unconnected vac line at the fuel pump.
now runs great.

Moral of the story? not sure

Question- why does a vac line from the intake manifold go to the fuel pump, and then on to the distributor via a restriced line.

I'll post some update photos soon

zout

I am only going to guess on the vac restriction - maybe it reduces as that is all the vac it needs to advance ? instead of a full vacuum ?

Anyhow - looking forward to seeing the progress and more MORE pictures of the hard work. Great pic of your helper as well.

Post some up as soon as it is possible for you - you have a group of fans waiting.[thumbzup]

SturmTyger380

Looking at the database on Willy's Military Jeeps it looks like your jeep is late 1954 early 1955.

Willlys took engines off of the assembly line to put into gererators and other things that needed gas power. Because of that the serial numbers of the engines always got far ahead of the body numbers.

This was the case in WWII and Korea. The Ford GPW engines were stamped on the assembly line so those bodies and engines match.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice to know you can still find them in the weeds and get them to kick again! I know that the collectors tend to like the flaties, but I think the M38A1's are a better buy and great rigs to actually drive!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks