• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M38a1 project

dougimes

Getting close now......

Needed some big progress over the last few weeks- the new jeep will be my daily driver for a while. My regular car is in the hands of the junkman.......

Final paint is done, starting on the details, lights, fixtures.

I need some help with the bows- how do the rods atttach to the bows and body? I have the windshield rod bracket, no question there. how does the vertical rod tie in to the top rod and body?

also- did a highway test. that Warn overdrive is the cat's meo. 55 is easy. 60 on the flat with no headwind. (running out of engine hp) RPM is comfortable!

Attachments

SturmTyger380

You will need the vertical rod if you want to put the canvas doors on. Otherwise you won’t need them.

To put them on there is a metal clip that goes around on rod and the other slips in. I can take a picture. I have a field mod version off of an M38 I can take a picture off too. Looking good.

armytruck63

thinking about making the m38a1 my daily driver.

anyone out there use MV's as daily drivers?
Hey Doug, this is a great thread with great pictures. Thanks for posting everything. I have a 1964 M38A1. I don't have overdrive, so I don't usually push it over 45 MPH. I just drove it Saturday to a truck club picnic. I knew the parking there would be a little tight for the deuce. I always forget how much of a sports car the M38A1 seems like after driving something larger.

I can also help if you need any photos of the top.

Keep the great photos coming. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

armytruck63

Hi Doug,
See if the information you need is in these photos. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Edit: I just re-read your question again. Like SturmTyger380 said, you don't need the vertical rods unless you are planning on installing doors. I'm not even sure I have the vertical rods. It is easier to get in and out of the jeep without them.

Attachments

Last edited:

dougimes

2nd to last post for this project.

The A1 is done, or very nearly so anyway. It did it's debut show last weekend- Triple Tree Flyin (and MV show) in woodruff SC.

The MHCC had a lineup of over 25 vehicles, not includeing trailers and support gear. attached are some shots of the show and a few glamor shots of the navy jeep

Thanks for looking on everyone!

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks absolutely fantastic Doug. I agree, the Corsair shot is great too!

We hope to see it in October! :cool:

dougimes

Sorry to miss everybody at the band of brothers weekend in Tocoha. I got stuck on a jobsite over the weekend. I love that event, next year.....

anyone have a report?

dougimes

OK, this is likely the last post of this thread.

This is my purchased materials list, sources and prices. Hope it is helpful . Our hobby has a great group of suppliers,

Special thanks to John at Midwestmilitary, always a good source of correct and hard to find parts.

Also got great canvas from surplus city on the west coast.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments.

I have some pix posted on my website, you might enjoy.

http://wartimetrucks,com

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks