• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 cargo cover install

41cl8m5

This is the install I did 9 days ago. The TM's are helpful. The diferance between the two TMs is the style of cover:
TM9-2320-209-10-4, Section VII, #2-14, page 2-54 shows the older style cover with the end covers separate from the main.
TM9-2320-361-10 (2006), Chapter 2, 0035 00, page 0035 00-1 shows the newer style one piece cover.

The one I have here is from a newer drop side kit. Like I stated before my duece is a M35A2 not a drop side. The only thing I still new to work on is the tie downs on the tail gate.

This is the hardware from the kit:
10 straps that I did not use.
5 bows (steel),
10 bow corners,
10 uprights that are fiberglass.
bolts and print of assy.

First install the bow corners to the uprights with hardware provided using a Philips screwdriver. 2 bolts for each.

Next for the bow assy. next to the cab you will need to attach the bow to the two bow corners and slide into the troop seat upright. the other four can be put together and wrestled into place so the latch can grab the "button" on the bow. As you can see from the pix you can use bolts and not use the straps on the bow corners, but my kit did not have extra hardware to do this.

On the cover the word "rear" was printed but not the word "front" Lifting the cover into the bed and then on top of the center bow is a two man job. after rolling it over the other bows you can start to position the cover front to rear.

Now roll the sides down and position the corners of the cover on the four outer corners
the black straps on the inside are for rolling up the sides of the cover.

Attachments

41cl8m5

Now start strapping down the front flap to the bed. then from the front work back to the rear of the truck tying down the straps to the bed hooks while positioning the cover. The straps on this cover are like rubber bungee cords and can be stretched into place but be careful the plastic hooks on the ends don't look to be very strong.

Finish with the rear flap tie downs to the tail gate (have not done that yet, need to reposition or and hooks)
Finished
The cover in this case just goes over the top rail of the bed GOOD LUCK

Attachments

41cl8m5

sorry about multi post but I'm still new at this and could not figure out how to do it with one post.
buy the way there are more pix ion my avitar.

emr

after u do it a few times and U figure the best way to roll it up so a one man can roll it down the bows, really it is a one man job in only a few minutes, I hardly ever get help when needed... good luck, that is r4eally sweet with the mettle bows anf iber uprights !![thumbzup]... I put 2 extra hooks on my gate for the new style straps, and put em on an angle so the trap was stretched just right,

41cl8m5

thank you for the positive remarks.

I received this kit in its origainal crate. Manufacture date 2007, and the cover was rolled up the way I showed. I was asked to show how to do this right out of the crate that is the angle I was going for. This is the first time using the new all in one cover. The rubberized plastic coated fabric is not as easy to move around on the bows. back in the service the army was still using the canvas stuff.

41cl8m5

:ditto:
Its the same for the sides. I roll them all up for parades. Its nice to have a top over the passengers to keep the sun off. Most of my riders are elderly and I seem to have a full load, compared to the other trucks without the top. The younger "riders" like no top. Its winter now but I'm talking about summer time. The 4th of July Parade was very sunny and quite warm, very easy for an older person to have issues.

I'm now working on a boading ladder with rails so the less limber folks are able to "load" with out as much worry. I got and old warehouse ladder (stairs). When I get done I'll post pix. stay tuned there is a foot of snow here right now, so I am going to start in the spring working on it. Just need to work out some things with the design.

bones1

Should be a round black buckle fixture on the outside top. The inside strap wraps under the cover when rolled up and hooks onto the clasp.
I am not usually this stupid but mine does not seem right. Do you have any pictures of the straps on the back rolled up?.Especially where they connect up at the strap on the outside top of the cover.I have a plastic u shaped connectors and they seem like they will fall out of the top buckle if you catch a good bump. Mine is the one piece vinyl camo cover.

41cl8m5

I'll get some pix this week end of the straps and post them. if you look at the 2nd post pix1 is of the strap on the inside and pix4 if you click on you can see the loop that the hook goes into. Its the same on the rear. My cover is the new style ruberized canvas, but the was more than one manufacture that supplied these. I've seen covers with the "cross hold" for the super rope (that bunge cord on the bottom of the cover) Mine does not do that "cross". on the strap the hook also has a pull to tighten it up. I've never had any issues with one coming undone while driving even though there is no positive "lock". I guess it could happen in heavy winds, extream offroading and not having the straps tight, but hauling passengers around in the back, I refrain from that indulgence.

41cl8m5

Bighurt, I got it from here under the old classifies. The member is in Texas And shipping was not cheap. The crate was about 8 feet long X 3 foot wide X 2 foot tall and weighed in I think about 300lbs. Too much for UPS, USPS or Fedex parsel. We used a bid thing online for shipping (u-ship). It was a while ago and I'm going from memmory. My work has a dock and forklifts so I saved alittle on that part. But no more, policy changes at work "NO Personal Items to be received". It was not cheap either but its alot more now for the complete kit, just like everything else the dollar is either worth less or more demand raises the price.:(

The seller had I think 6 total but I'm sure he's out by now.

Last edited:

caliber1

41cl8m5, I take it your cover had the cord already in it? I was looking for a diagram on how to thread in new super rope. All mine was dry rotted when I got it and just fell apart.

Anyone know what TM that might be in?

41cl8m5

Ok here are the pix:

The hook is on the inside and attaches to the buckel on the outside.

To hold the canvas tight there are straps that go around the last bow

This is why it took me awhile to get to the pix

Also the Broncos were playing in town and I had to see it!

Attachments

41cl8m5

Caliber1,
Yes they are part of the kit. My sureprope has ends on them with hooks, kind of like the hooks on bunge cords. So te ends all have them. I have seen the style that theads into itself in the "X" patern. Not sure how to remove my end hooks (it looks to be two piece but I don't want to brake an end at this time to find out. The "rope was allready installed on the top but does not look to be all that difficult to thead new cord in.

I do have the same question about the soft pieces of the kit. Does anybody know if its shown in any TM. My thought is its the newer style so it could be in the m35a3 TM's

caliber1

Caliber1,
Yes they are part of the kit. My sureprope has ends on them with hooks, kind of like the hooks on bunge cords. So te ends all have them. I have seen the style that theads into itself in the "X" patern. Not sure how to remove my end hooks (it looks to be two piece but I don't want to brake an end at this time to find out. The "rope was allready installed on the top but does not look to be all that difficult to thead new cord in.

I do have the same question about the soft pieces of the kit. Does anybody know if its shown in any TM. My thought is its the newer style so it could be in the m35a3 TM's
My top had the super rope threaded in it, but after 3 years in the Jacksonville sun, when I went to pick it up, the stuff fell to peices before I could check it out. Cover is in awesome shape though. Looks like yours, only dirty. LOL

By the way, what is all that white stuff on the ground?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks