• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 cargo cover install

Welder Sam

:ditto:
Its the same for the sides. I roll them all up for parades. Its nice to have a top over the passengers to keep the sun off. Most of my riders are elderly and I seem to have a full load, compared to the other trucks without the top. The younger "riders" like no top. Its winter now but I'm talking about summer time. The 4th of July Parade was very sunny and quite warm, very easy for an older person to have issues.

I'm now working on a boading ladder with rails so the less limber folks are able to "load" with out as much worry. I got and old warehouse ladder (stairs). When I get done I'll post pix. stay tuned there is a foot of snow here right now, so I am going to start in the spring working on it. Just need to work out some things with the design.
a write up on your boarding ladder would be useful to many members just as this one is. ty to both

caliber1

Thanks Welder Sam. I should be getting to it this sping. I'll take pix of the job and do a post on it.
So will the ladder be steel, aluminum, sectional rails??? Inquiring minds and all....

Getting ready to pick up a new mig with the gear to do aluminum. Might need to try to make one up.

41cl8m5

It kind of looks like this. It was used and the mechanizum that holds it in place (lifting the front wheels up) was inop. This piture I got was off the web and only has 2 wheels mine has 4 wheels; 2 swivel and 2 stationary. All I'll be using is the hand rails and the steps. It is made out of steel.

Attachments

gunboy1656

Couple things I would change on mine.

First would be to make the legs just a little bit longer. I have an idea how I am going to correct that.

Second would be how it hooks to the truck. The way my dad fabricated it there are tabs that go between the bed and the tailgate. Work great until you use it then it wedges in and is difficult to get out. Would like to get the hook system to be more like a big C to fit the end of the tailgate.

My dad took my advice and made the handrails removable.

If your needing any specific pics, let me know. Gotta love a free ladder.

BRAVO61

1971 Am/Gen M35A2 Troop Seat Installation

I recently purchased a 1971 Am/Gen M35A2 with recovery winch. I just installed a complete Cargo/Troop Canopy kit on this Truck. Instructions were of little use and more help was retrieved from Pics on the net. I do have 10 straps which seem to bolt to the Bow 90 Degree, with metal tab and hole on one end with a hook clip on the other, which I have yet to Install, not being able to determine the proper way they should be installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated as Tech Manual searches have shown nothing.

I also purchased 2 Fiberglass Troop seat bottoms. No instructions came with these seat bottoms nor have I found much concerning the proper Hardware, Installation or Instruction on adding Boards to Canopy stakes for Troop Seat backs. I have seen Corner Stakes that seem to be steel but are not listed as Troop Seat Hardware. One Partial schematic, and with the help from Pics of the Cargo area of the Trucks containing Troop Seats, shows hardware but not complete picture to determine proper placement and installation. The researching of Tech Manuals has produced nothing as well.

Question: To install bench style,troop seats in a 12 ft M35A2 - Where can I get info on Purchasing Hardware and Where can I get a good schematic of Correct Installation and What corner Stakes to use ( if Applicable ). If parts are no longer available new, Does anyone have parts for sale or can direct me to where used parts can be purchased.

I have owned this Truck for 1 month. This is my first Military Vehicle purchased. Any and all help is Greatly Appreciated.
1971 M35A2 Am/Gen 12Ft bed
Thanks
BP

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Others may chime in, but I think that the new style vinyl cargo covers are equipped with all the straps you need. The cover itself has the straps to hold the rolled-up sides, and the straps to hold itself to the roof supports. There is no further straps that need to be bolted to the uprights. The ten straps may be needed for some cargo cover styles to be able to tie the rolled up sides to the uprights.

If I understand correctly, you only have the "seat" portion of the troop seats? Look at this picture back rolled up.jpg(not my pic; found on the web at http://czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff/Sur...5A2 Cargo Cover Desert Tan/back rolled up.jpg)

The seat portion is mounted to the upright portion ("stakes"), so you would need to obtain these, if you don't have them.

sides rolled up on truck.jpginside.jpg

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BP,
Contact 'steelypip' as he lives in Charlottesville (a few miles north of you on US29) and he may be able to talk you through it. Most people just purchase a set of troop seats, or rebuild them using either red oak wood or fiberglass slats. HTH.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's such a pain to remove/replace the cargo cover, it's been years since I've had mine on. I say either leave it on or leave it off, don't take it on and off all the time like I used to do.

rustystud

It's such a pain to remove/replace the cargo cover, it's been years since I've had mine on. I say either leave it on or leave it off, don't take it on and off all the time like I used to do.
Plus you risk damaging the cover ! A tear can happen pretty fast if your not careful ! This happened to me several times when I was still in the Marines. Spring/Summer, remove the covers. Fall/Winter , install the covers. Rinse and repeat.

FloridaAKM

This truck looks like one of mine that I use infrequently, other than mine is never empty. I just completed replacing the old troop seats from the tan truck into the newer camo truck & the associated staves, elbows & vinyl top. Installing the troop seats & cover is not that hard if you have a soldier B to help, but by yourself, it is a big chore, especially the troop seats. They are quite heavy & bulky.
Others may chime in, but I think that the new style vinyl cargo covers are equipped with all the straps you need. The cover itself has the straps to hold the rolled-up sides, and the straps to hold itself to the roof supports. There is no further straps that need to be bolted to the uprights. The ten straps may be needed for some cargo cover styles to be able to tie the rolled up sides to the uprights.

If I understand correctly, you only have the "seat" portion of the troop seats? Look at this picture View attachment 615959(not my pic; found on the web at http://czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff/Sur...5A2 Cargo Cover Desert Tan/back rolled up.jpg)

The seat portion is mounted to the upright portion ("stakes"), so you would need to obtain these, if you don't have them.

View attachment 615968View attachment 615967

crzyxj

I got a complete cover for 300 bucks in excellent condition, Is it a good deal? And what is a good deal on bow kits? I have seen some ridiculous prices online

FloridaAKM

As stated elsewhere, I found a vendor @ the Bellview show several weeks ago that was selling a NOS camo cover for $250.00 & the bows & staves for $150.00 extra. The bows were a mismatched rusty lot & there was no hardware to assemble it with, but after cleaning the bows & painting them to one color the entire package was a very good score. I did some horse trading for the deal. I still have two NOS in the crate tan cover systems (cover, bows, staves & hardware) for deuces that I would sell if someone needed them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks