• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this used for?

MARCO1031

After removing the floor mat and padding I discovered this stamped steel plate on the passenger side floorboard. It looks factory and has 4 threaded nut plates in it. At first I thought it was the mount for the decon unit but there are 4 other screws/nut plates for that on the same side. Does anyone know what it was used for?

Attachments

MARCO1031

Ian,
My plan is to clean up and coat the floor with line-x or something similar so I will be removing anything that doesn't need to be there so this will go. Just curious as to its purpose.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, you guys all looked at the -20P and -34P? You can find it there! It is
National Item Identification Number
01-156-0075
2590-01-156-0075
National Stock Number

Item Name
BRACKET ASSEMBLY,DECONTAMINATION UNIT

lavarok

Ian,
My plan is to clean up and coat the floor with line-x or something similar so I will be removing anything that doesn't need to be there so this will go. Just curious as to its purpose.
Shawn,

Line-X goes on via high pressure and must be sprayed by a licensed franchisee.
It is not ideal for interior projects, but is ( IMO ) unsurpassed for exterior bed lining projects.

For interior projects, I've used the Rustoleum and Plastikote bed liner products. I prefer the Plastikote as the Rustoleum product has a very intense smell which takes a few weeks to go away. However, the Rustoleum product is smoother and has a better sheen when dry.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read ?, you know the -P TMs are just pictures and numbers!:roll:

I often consider printing out the -20P and giving it to my Nephew as a coloring book!

Maybe some of these guys should try that for themselves.

Last edited:

MARCO1031

While I am certain I do not possess the intellectual firepower or have the depth and breadth of experience with MVs as some members on this site, I do have to say that I can read and have, in fact, looked at these two manuals.

I am not as familiar with these manuals as I was with those that I used while teaching F-16 and F-15 Jet Engine Intermediate Maintenance while I was in the USAF but I was able to find the figures with this bracket listed.

The bracket in question is listed as Item #3 in each manual. Figure 174 in the -20p, and figure
209 in the -34p

Item #1 is what I understood to be the decontamination bracket that is bolted directly to the floor using screws and threaded inserts.

Item #3 is a bracket that is welded directly to the floor and is obviously a mounting point for some piece of equipment.

The -20p does not list a description for item #3 in the listing of items below the illustration.
and lists item #1 only as Bracket Assembly, CH

The -34p Lists the same description as the -20p for item #1 and describes item #3 only as Bracket Assembly, DE

There is a cross reference for these items in the cross reference section of the manual and in fact I have found the NSN listed for item #3 but there is no description there either.

Please forgive the ignorance of those of us that don't know the deep dark inner-workings of these manuals and find ourselves asking such questions as these. Given the information I could find I thought I was asking a reasonable question that would be addressed with a reasonable and helpful answer.

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think would be wise for anyone that owns an MV, to download and save the TMs that pertain to their specific trucks. Once you understand the basic uses of each TM, they are very useful and easy to find what you need.

Often, as I read a post, I know the answer(or think I do) and I find the answer in the TM to confirm my thoughts. I would recommend everyone here try that for a week or two and it will help to become very familiar with your type of vehicle and proficient in using the TMs.

I found the name/description and part number in the -34P. I then googled that number to find the tidbit of info I did find.

I did not intend to insult or be-little anyone with my comments.

I honestly do think of the -20P as a picture book(with part numbers) and do think it would make a great coloring book for kids of all ages.

Last edited:

MARCO1031

I agree 100% that if you have an MV you should get the manuals and study them. They have saved me a lot of grief with a number of problems. But they only go so far and that is where this site really shines. Thanks for the information.

dependable

Yea and I still don't know what that plate in the middle of the right side (not the gas detector or decon mount to the right) I have never seen any clew that this plate was ever used. In the cucvs sold off a decade ago, it was always under the floor mat and insulation. If no one knows what it is , it was probably something specified by and left in by the bureaucracy that made some military k-30s cost over twice what a civy one would cost at the time. I have always wondered what this was for as well. If no one knows, say so, please don't refer us to a tm. Thanks.

3dAngus

OK, so thats the bracket.

What is a decontamination unit, and what do you do with it. I got one, not sure it is the same thing, still wrapped in orginal plastic. Not sure where it came from either. Might have come with my M109. Says it has gloves in it and powder of some kind. What is it for, specifically? Just cleaning up diesel spills?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks