• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stranded at Subway - Deuce won't start

TheOxman

Hey everyone. I'm at a class in Niceville, FL and I drove my deuce here from Crestview. It drove fine. I took the deuce to lunch at Subway and parked it on a slight hill, chocked the wheels, and went inside.

I came back outside the truck won't start. When I turn the accessory lever on, the low air warning buzzer comes on, all of my gauges read properly, I can turn my lights on, but when I hit the starter button, it's just a click, and nothing more. The engine doesn't even try to turn over.

What could this be? Is there some quick fix to this so I can get my truck out of the Subway parking lot and back home?

Any help will be much appreciated.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Go check all the battery cable connections from one end (the battery) to the starter. Make sure everything is clean and tight.

jwright

Low Battery's. If you got the room let it roll back and roll start it in reverse, make sure you got the engine stop pushed in.

MARCO1031

If your batteries have a good charge it is possible the starter solenoid has failed. Been a while since I had my deuce but is it possible to jump the starter solenoid on these with a pair of pliers or something? If I were closer I'd come give you a hand. Unfortunately I wouldn't get there till tomorrow :???:.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it clicks everytime you push the button, id either say a bad connection on the starter relay or a dead spot on the starter. if this is the case, check the cables going to the starter. mine acted funny and turned out that the studs on the relay were lose and i tightened them back up...so far so good!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try pushing the red start button several times in a row(until it does engage). Sometimes that works.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If the deuce is facing DOWNHILL and you have sufficient room put it in HIGH Range. 3rd gear and try to roll start.....wait till you have the most speed you can pick up before you pop the clutch....make sure switch is on so in tank fuel pump will work.

If the engine will turn over once or twice she will crank.

Good luck.

hklvette

As doghead said, pushing the starter button a few times can do the trick. after a while, the solenoid gets damaged from the arcing during starting, and has a hard time conducting electricity.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the starter switch is bad, y9ou can use a jumper wire on the starter relay. It is mounted above the stater on the side of the block.

I have done this on several occassions.

Attachments

TheOxman

Thanks for all the replies. I've tried pushing the starter button many, many times and that didn't do anything. The truck is facing uphill and the wheels are chocked. It's only about 15 feet away from the road so if I tried to roll start it and it didn't work, I'd be sitting in the road, so I don't think I want to try that.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a freind just reminded me, sometime the brushes in the starter will wearout and cause the starter to not function.

If the jumper wire does work, try hitting the side of the starter with a hammer. It will "jar" the brushes and allow it to turn.

wikallen

First check your cable connections. Then bypass any starter solenoid problem by shorting the two poles with a screw driver. If it still clicks, then tap the starter housing a few times with a small hammer.

Katahdin

Check the wires going into the red starter button for a kinked or twisted wire. Its easy to remove the button from the dashboard to straighten out any kinks.

hdexpert

I had this same problem with my deuce when I first got it. Turned out one of the nuts on the solenoid was partially stripped and wouldn't tighten down properly. This only allowed partial voltage to get to the starter and it wouldn't crank. Took a while to figure it out, might be your problem. Good luck!!

TheOxman

Looks like it's working now. I called out on my co-workers, a prior Enlisted Officer who used to work on deuces, and he did what Warthog did and used a jumper wire on the starter relay and it fired right up. Should I look into replacing anything at this point?

Reactions: HDN

jwright

I still say Its the batterys, one or both. I have had this happen to me befor. Start right up ,ran to the store came back out and there I sat. Some times a batt. will just give up. Do you know how old they are?

gonorth

try taping the starter gently with a hammer, pliars, wrench, or whatever. I used to have to do this frequently with a truck I owned in a former life.

mistaken1

Looks like it's working now. I called out on my co-workers, a prior Enlisted Officer who used to work on deuces, and he did what Warthog did and used a jumper wire on the starter relay and it fired right up. Should I look into replacing anything at this point?
There is either a problem with the starter relay or the starter switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks