• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WA State - Can you just go "Home Made" title for trailers?

stereoman405

Just got an M101A2 a couple weeks ago from GL and am trying to figure out what to do for titling. What's confusing the issue is that I actually have a secondary residence in ID and they don't require an SF-97. (If a trailer is under 2000lbs you don't need a title. $37 will get you plates and 10 year registration. :mrgreen:)

BUT, if I ever want to sell the thing down the road having a title would be helpful. I know WA lets you title "home built" trailers. Could I skip the $60 SF-97 and the $85 title transfer fee for now, live off the ID registration, then if I sell some day just go get it inspected as a home built and get a WA title at that point?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
as much as i hate giving the government any money i get it tittled . If for no other reason if they change the
law on home-made trailers down the road it will definatly cost more then and if you do seel it theres nohassels later for the new owner just my2cents
nopics

wsucougarx

I got my two M105A2's titled but not plated. I didn't want to get the trailers licensed just yet and didn't want to get slapped with the late transfer of title penalty fee. I just had my SF97's transferred over and have my titles sitting somewhere should I decide to sell them downt the road. Not sure about titling a military trailer as homebuilt.

Unforgiven

That's a 3000 lb trailer. If you ever haul a full load it would be good to have the proper paperwork for Johnny Law.

He's going to take one look at your 3000 lbs of gravel & your 1500 lb homemade trailer registration, hand you a nice fatty for you to sign, and tell you to have a nice day. Then that $60 or so that you saved via the homemade trailer route can be well applied to that $600+ court fine.

2cents

lonegunman

I am picking up my trailer from Ft. Lewis whenever they approve the EUC, can you even haul it home without tags? I am hoping to park it until the SF97 arirves and then get plates.

stereoman405

I am picking up my trailer from Ft. Lewis whenever they approve the EUC, can you even haul it home without tags? I am hoping to park it until the SF97 arirves and then get plates.

Just made that trip. :)

Honestly, I don't think I've had plates on most of my trailers for 15+ years in WA and never had an issue. I passed at least 5 staters on the way home and didn't have an issue.

That being said, I figured between the 'temp lights' and having my folder of paperwork on my front seat showing that I JUST picked the dang thing up, it would take a REAL ass hole of a cop to write you up for it. I'd do it again no problem. Just don't give them any other reasons to be pissed at you. Go the speed limit and make sure all your tow rig paperwork and lights are in order.

The EUC for that batch was a real PITA. I waited almost 10 weeks for it. I was starting to get worried that they though I was some sort of domestic terrorist or something. :tin hat:

Unforgiven

Man, you are luckier than me. I tell you if my license plate was three inches crooked I'd get pulled over. I have NEVER been able to talk my way out of a ticket.

I think you should try to get the SF 97 form even if it is a pain in the rear. That trailer has air-assisted hydraulic braking. You want everything clean paper-wise. It will keep your insurance company, Johnny Law, & potential future buyers happy.

Since you bought it from the government the 97 form should not be that difficult to obtain.

mightymanx

The answer to the question of trying to title it as a home built is no. I tried it.

SF97 get it now they don't go back that far in history then get the ID plates because WA is every year registration and all the "fee's" they tack on so you can't ever leave for less than $100 for your mandated by law $35 dollar tabs.:rant:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks