• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 pricing

Gunfreak25

My M211 find

I have a lead on an old 1954 M211 deuce and i'd like to know if the price he's asking is any good. He wants $2500 OBO. The only thing I know about the truck is the engine has been swapped with a 455 Oldsmobile with a 400 turbo. The truck has been sitting idle for 2 years, and when first parked it ran great. As far as parts, I think all it needs is a top for the cab, maybe a couple minor parts for the interior. It has troop seats in good shape. The paint is really sun bleached, so it would definately need to be redone in 24087.

I am not that familiar with the M211, for the past year i've primarily studied the M35A2, but this is the first time i've considered the M211.

From the little that I have gathered they sound like hard to find but excellent trucks. The 455 engine swap seems to be a common engine to put in these, just like many people put cummins in the old M35's.

Is he asking too much, too little? I was thinking of giving him a call this evening to get more info on the truck, see if he'd be willing to take $2000 even, maybe $1800. But I don't want to insult the guy, so I thought i'd ask here first. Any input you gents can give me on the ol round nose jimmy would be appreciated. If it works out and it turns out to be a good buy on a solid truck I may pick it up in month or two.

Thanks guys! -Tom

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Well I spoke with the owner of the truck this evening. He was a really nice guy and we chewed the fat for a little bit. He said he would take $2000 for the truck. He said it runs well, but needs a little work. It's practically complete, aside from a few small parts. For the price, I think it's a great deal. I could also have it shipped here on a flatbed for about $400, and he offered to take care of the loading entirely.

So how about it, you think I should go for it?

Last edited:

artica5105

The original hydra-matic tanny had the reduction unit bolted to it and had a single speed, divorced, transfer case. With a replacement transmission you will most likely loose the reduction, unless they came up with some other solution. I have heard you can modify the transfer case to be two speed, but have never seen any document on how to do it. You may want to be sure it will handle your needs before dropping any money.

Gunfreak25

Well I think I made my mind up, I have a few questions left to ask the guy first but I think I'm going to go ahead and get it. His plans were to chop it up if it didn't sell, but I am a history buff and would hate to see the old girl get butchered. It should be a fun project and it won't be nearly as bad as a some other G749's I have seen.

Last edited:

paulfarber

211s and 135s seem to becoming very available. I would balk at the engine swap because now you may be looking at jury rigged alternators, brake lines (I think they are still vacuum assist?), wiring and the like.

I would also TRIPLE check that the bed, troop seats, drivers seats and other parts are in fact, original to the 211 if an ORIGINAL 211 is your goal. Nothing sucks like having to find ANOTHER bed, ANOTHER set of troop seats and cargo bows etc etc etc.

Find a 211 web site and post pictures there... they will hopefully flag the things for you.

Gunfreak25

Well I spoke with the owner again. It has fresh oil in the motor and tranny, repacked bearings, rebuilt master cylinder, rebuilt all wheel cylinders on front and front rear axle, new points, plugs, radiator hose, brakes bled, good deep cycle battery, cleaned out gas tank, B&M floor shifter installed and adjusted for the Th400.

I am sure it will need a lot more work here and tere but mechanically it's in great shape. The air compressor and air tanks come with it but need to be hooked back up, shouldn't be too hard to get the compressor on the 455. Engine has manifolds only, a 455 with no exhaust is LOUD. :beer:

I know most of you guys here are more of the purist mindset, which I definately respect out of a historical standpoint. But a 100% original truck is not my goal for now.

Here's some pictures of the truck for you guys. Will be replacing 4 tires soon.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

I will be sending out the payment for this truck by Friday!

Here's all the pictures, edited to make the dark areas lighter.

I have access to all the tools I need, and there are two auto parts stores just down the road. The truck will be right in my backyard where I can work on it at night! -Gunfreak

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a good deal to me besides you don't care id origional. I'd say go for it.:beer:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Tom at AlphaHeaven still has the original paint for sale. Also most any other part you might need.
Bruce

paulfarber

If you want a driver then make sure it drives :) These MVs *ALWAYS* seems to have break issues. Some are simple, some not so much. If you are looking to drive it, buy it for what it is.. a big green truck. You are gonna be the guy putting money and time into it... so if you have the time and money to fix it/keep it running then enjoy your new toy!

Gunfreak25

Thanks for the info, will be doing a complete inspection of everything upon arrival. It will be fun working on this old girl this winter....1am....cold......tired.....Ernest Tubb playing on the CD player....

Here's some more pics

Attachments

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think the 211 came with the option of a CD player.
And if you decide to install one, remember it has to be 24VDC.:-D

Congrats on a really nice truck.
I think you made a good choice and the right choice.

waayfast

Absolutely the worst pile of crap I ever did see!!I would be willing to help you out of your embarrassment for a nominal fee--I only have your neighbor's and your financial future's best interest at heart--but only if you can get the yard owner to throw that flying contraption in the background in on the deal!(need pics of the airplane please:D)

Seriously---good find/save!!!Is it "perfect"? nope. Is it ever gonna be "perfect"? hhmm-maybe--- it could be someday-- but sure stands a heckovalot better chance of it driving around with the wrong engine in it than sitting in the $1.00 screwdriver bin at Walmart!!

I think the price was a bit high but sounds like cheap shipping off-set that. Main thing is RUST FREE.That really off-sets the "wrong" engine thing.Engines are easy to change--sheet metal ain't.

I think you done good--real good!

Now please find out more about that airplane--what else is in that yard?--the hardcore junky's want to know---
Jim

JeepMan

I know I'll get blasted for saying what I'm going to say. But first before I say whet I'm going to say, I'm going to say I like the "style" of the M211/M135 especially the round sloping front hood.
Usually M211/M135's sell for very little money because of the hydro trans. They do sell for a bit more then a few dollars if they have a winch on them.
Sometimes you'll find someone or a Towns Highway department will give one away just to get rid of it.
Now having said that, why not take the $$ that you're going to put into that and get a "modern" duece since they're being sold so cheap especially direct from GL.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

I get your point. But.....everyone has a Multifuel. I too love the sleek sexy look of the G749 series. Most of all though, I though this truck would suit it's intended purpose very well over an A2. The Th400 and 455 setup is a match made in heaven. Very durable setup and better suited to small down stop and go driving than a standard tranny would be, in my opinion anyway. No having to worry about long warm up's or cool downs either. Lots of power with the 455 and it should produce better mileage than the old 302. Easier and cheaper to work on too!

I just got my TM 9-8024 to 36A12-1B-321 manual today in the mail. It's an original Oct 55 dated manual. Has been a lot of help!

Last edited:

hippiedude

I think you did good .....Nice solid truck and you got V8 power, and keeping with tradition you have a automatic .. [thumbzup].. I would suggest looking for a cckw t-case so you could retain low gear ........ That would be a power house ..:cool:....... Good luck .... Tim

Gunfreak25

That's a good idea, but she is going to be an asphalt queen. Even without a low range, I think the 455 produces enough power to easily offset that problem. Still....low range and 455 Rocket torque with 6.17:1 axles.....that's alot of muscle!! Talk about a hot rod deuce!

Last edited:

rjrj10

I enjoy driving my 211 and try to do so every 2 weeks to keep the tranny lubricated and fresh. I rebuilt the 302 and got a transmission from memphis equipment before they quit working on them. I would be very interested in knowing how fast it will run and the power it has. After the rebuild, it will run 50 or 52, but hills still pull it down. I think it will be an excellent driver! Good luck!

emr

Its all about the Hobby and what U love, and want to do, u will learn ALOT with that truck, U will need to have paitence and a few bucks to keep her up and going Paul farber said it best when he basically said they have problems and they do , But go for it if its what U want, There are not alot around for a reason though, as long as u go into it with the mind set of keeping her alive and well and keep on it, U will be happy for what u did.. All the Best!!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks