• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flying Jeep, Jeep, and Trailer

gregu206

1942 Stinson L-5 Sentinel - This aircraft was built as a liaison aircraft for the Army Air Corp. It is the only one out of the L-birds to be specifically built for the military and not a converted civilian aircraft such as the Piper L-4 Grasshopper (Piper Cub). It was nicknamed the "Flying Jeep" because it was used like a Jeep to transport people, act as an air ambulance, do observation work, deliver supplies, and it could get in and out of tight places. These planes were credited for rescuing downed pilots in the jungle, delivering supplies to trapped soldiers, and in one case, delivered a 300 bed hospital to a forward area. These planes were also piloted by “Flying Sergeants”, not officers. This made for awkward moments when officers would order the Sergeant out of the plane and then take it on a joy ride. Fortunately, this was put to a stop by the commanding General.

My plane is painted as "Swamp Angel" that was an aircraft that flew with the 25th Liaison Squadron out of New Guinea (it is not the actual aircraft). The nickname of the unit was "Guinea Short Lines" and has a kangaroo as part of the unit’s markings. This name and the kangaroo was because the unit did short hops around the islands doing various tasks and that is painted both on the plane and Jeep. I have photos of the original plane in New Guinea that I got from the wife of the pilot and so I honor him, John Shannonhouse, and the other “Flying Sergeants”.

1944 Willys MB Jeep - A fully restored, including 6V system, Jeep painted in the markings of a Jeep that was assigned to the same unit as my L-5. One of the photos I have of the original L-5 has a Jeep in the background with “Guinea Short Lines” painted under the window and thus mine does also.

1943 Willys MBT trailer - Generic painted trailer used to haul my lawn chairs and junk to shows.

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is awesome-love the first shot!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks