• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

" NO OIL PRESSURE " oa331

dozer1

How much can you get a running take out engine for in your area. I think it is a real bad sign that you aren't getting oil to the mechanical gauge and it stalls out after startup too. My guess is the crank bearings are damaged now.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drop the pan and inspect!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't know enough about these motors, is there a way to spin the oil pump like on a SBC? I know if you pull the dist. you can insert a tool to run the oil pump with a drill.

shenkmen

How much can you get a running take out engine for in your area. I think it is a real bad sign that you aren't getting oil to the mechanical gauge and it stalls out after startup too. My guess is the crank bearings are damaged now.
$1500 - $2500 for good used takeouts from TNJ Murray. The owner took the time to talk to me about the issue as well. Nice guy.

I'm with you. The indicators are not good. An inspection will tell.

Drop the pan and inspect!
Yep, that's next. Of course the beast is resting in my slanted, blacktop driveway. Yay!

I don't know enough about these motors, is there a way to spin the oil pump like on a SBC? I know if you pull the dist. you can insert a tool to run the oil pump with a drill.
I don't see a way to do this. Looking at page 55 of TM9-2815-204-34P shows the oil pump is driven via an idler gear of the crank. The TM does provide bench test instructions.

I'm 22 quarts of oil, 30 bolts and a big driveway stain away from an inspection.

Keep the opinions and guidance coming. Thanks all.

JasonS

I have a rebuilt Reo 400 for sale that will drop right in and increase the HP to 200. PM me if interested.

shenkmen

Drained the oil. Immediately stuck my finger in the flow and felt grit. Stuck a magnet in the the drain bucket and pulled up tiny metal shards. Removed metal shards from the cavity in the drain plug as well.

Pulled the pan. As soon as it was loose I heard a loud clunk, clunk as I tilted the pan from side to side. Oh boy.

The idler gear was sitting in the pan with a few nicks on the teeth. The idler shaft which the idler gear is mounted on sheared. The bearing in the idler gear spins smooth and freely. The oil pump gear spins smooth and freely and still pumps.

Have you seen or heard of the idler gear shaft shearing?

I saw bearing debris pushing out from the side of main cap #3. Pulled the cap. The bearing is damaged. Minor scoring is noticeable on the crank but cannot be felt.

The idler shaft appears to be pressed in. Main bearings have damage. I'm thinking about a new motor.

Pics below.

Would you replace the motor? That's my course unless you have better advice.

I'm also out of beer and am going to replace that immediately. Yes, I know this is a short term solution. :)

Thanks all.

Attachments

dozer1

Replacing the beer was a good move to start with..I am hoping someone who has worked on these engines chimes in with their take on it. I cannot recall ever reading about that idler gear shaft shearing before, but that would sure put the stops on the oil pressure. You could fix it by getting the crank ground as long as the bearings didn't spin and mess it up real bad. I think the take-out sounds best though, and you could salvage parts from your old engine. The day is coming where those parts aren't going to be to easy to find.

gimpyrobb

Well, I might know where a replacement oil pump might be. If I remember right, you might have a new crank. It would be a learning experience to put a new crank and bearings in. If you have the time, I would do it. If you are short on time, swapping a motor would be quicker.

shenkmen

Well, I might know where a replacement oil pump might be. If I remember right, you might have a new crank. It would be a learning experience to put a new crank and bearings in. If you have the time, I would do it. If you are short on time, swapping a motor would be quicker.
If the crank bearings are damaged I'm guessing everything else requiring lube should be questioned too.

What the heck made the idle shaft shear? A defect? No bluing, scoring, etc... on the shaft. The bearings in the idler gear are perfect.

Thanks for the pump offer. I do have brand new, standard bore crank. Actually I have four of them.

Time is certainly an issue. I need this thing running to go camping with my son. The scent of wood burning the other day made him ask when the next camping trip is. That's good stuff.

gimpyrobb

I can't imagine what would make it shear. You think a chunk of metal getting in the gears while turning would?

I think you have a very valid point about other things being bad in the motor. Might be time to look for another.

shenkmen

Metal fatigues and fails. Can you post a pic of the fracture?
The first two pics a couple of posts backs shows the fracture. The first pice shows the idler gear with part of the shaft and the second pic shows the remaining shaft in the block above the oil pump. If you want better pics I'll post them.

Thanks

PaFarmer

Let me know if I can help. It would probably be easier to pull the motor and swap in a used motor. You could rebuild your current motor as a spare so you know what you have. I could use a bunch of parts off that other truck I PMed you about.

Last edited:

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first two pics a couple of posts backs shows the fracture. The first pice shows the idler gear with part of the shaft and the second pic shows the remaining shaft in the block above the oil pump. If you want better pics I'll post them.

Thanks
Very old post I know but shenkmen how did you resolve your idler gear shaft shear? Replace the shaft or the main cap?
If you replaced the shaft, where did you find one? Mine is worn down and the bearing spinning on it. Might have a local shop make me one if I can;t find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks