• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler for MEP 002a

Buckeye Mike

I have agreed to purchase a MEP 002a to add to my collection of two Isuzu powered civi diesel for my off grid home.

In the past I had an MEP 003a that one day started tripping the DC circuit breaker evey time I tried to start it. That would start my 3 ton central air without a hiccup. I don't like running the central air even on the high quality high priced Isuzu units.

I would like to know if anyone adds a car muffler to the MEP to cut down on the noise?

jbk

its the engine noise you will need to mask. the exhaust gets a little noisier when i put 6kw on the 002, point the exhaust straight up. if you shelter it in a shed away from your house 75 or 100 ft. its no more anoying than a central air. the 002 probley wont do your central unit though

Buckeye Mike

jbk,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a muffler is not much help then.
I have my gen shed about 30 feet from the house with underground wiring ran to it.

My 003a would register about 3000 watts when the central air was running. I am thinking the 002a may be able to run it. Perhaps not. I now am using two window units which will run off my solar panels during the day. I also have a super high efficiency industrial dehumidifier that I can run. The window units are both energy star and the phoenix max 2000 dehumidifier is the most efficient you can buy. It runs 2000.00 new but I got mine off CL for 800 with low hours in mint condition. I can run both window units and the dehumidifier and it is only around 3000 watts. Thus piece of cake for 002a even might add a third window unit for the kitchen.

I know the 002a will handle the running watts of the central air so it is only the starting surge that is a question.

jbk

you must have a heck of a battery bank to run those window units. i have two battery banks, 4 batteries on one and 2 batt. on other (golf cart batteries) hooked up to a tripp lite ups inverter/charger with 80watts of solar panel. i think the kva on the 002 is 6.2. on my 002 ive run one 14,000 window unit, two 6500 window units, 1/2 hp. well pump, refrigerator and lights about 65% load so the gauge says.

Buckeye Mike

jbk,

I don't run any AC off of battery power. I have got 6500 watts of solar panels on my roof.
In the morning we charge the battery bank full from any overnight usage of lights/refrigeration.fans.

Then turn on the two 12000 btu window units and still make excess amps for battery charging.
In the evening when the sun starts to go down we fire up one of the Isuzu diesels and run ac units until going to bed when we shut everything down.

When I had my MEP003a I would run my central air unit off of it. I loved that beast and wish I knew what happened to make it trip the DC circuit breaker when I tried to crank it.

Carl_in_NH

Do you still have the 003a? If so, you should spend some time troubleshooting it, as there's really not all that much that can go wrong with them. They are really simple electrically; shouldn't take more than an hour or two to get to the bottom of it - could be as simple as a bad DC breaker.

m38inmaine

If the neutral-ground connection between your house and generator was incorrect it would trip the breaker. There was an earlier post on it. I also have a Isuzu commercial generator running my off grid home, 8kw 3cyl liquid cooled, as soon as I get a manual transfer switch I am going to tie the MEP-003A in.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use my MEP-003A for back-up only, thorough a manual 400-amp 4-pole transfer switch. It has no problem running my geothermal heat pump, ovens, well, etc. It has enough capacity that I don't have to be concerned about the load. It is noisy, but a lot of the noise is mechanical and not just exhaust.

If you stll have your MEP-003A, I would troubleshoot the problem. Parts (used) seem to be readily available.

Buckeye Mike

M38, Did your Isuzu unit come from central maine diesel? That is where I bought mine.

Carl and gl, I no longer have the 003a. I wish I did. With the expertise available here and the manuals on line I may well have got that beast back up and running.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome to the site Buckeye Mike. I think Kipman might have an mep002 with the acoustic sound deadening kit for sale. He is just up in Lancaster(Columbus). I'm not too far from you, just over in Cincinnati.

Buckeye Mike

gimpyrobb,

Thanks for the heads up on the 002a. I have a unit coming from Louisville region that I have agreed to buy. Unit runs perfect with low hours and came from the owners national guard unit so we know the history on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks