• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 016B/701A Questions

MitchG

I have a couple of questions for anyone with experience with the 3kw gensets. I finally got around to trying to fire up the 3kw genset that is on the steamcleaner that I just got. I finally got her to fire off but she won't stay running unless I hold the throttle open by hand. It looks like the solenoid is not retracting. I tried cranking the hand throttle and it looks like it's not pulling the throttle. It's almost like the knob is turning and the handle is coming out but it's not pulling the cable to increase the throttle. Sorta like it's missing some kind of stay or something.

The battery was dry as a bone and completely dead. I put some water in it and used a slave cable to jump it from the deuce. Could the dead battery be causing problems with the solenoid? Just wondering what the next item to check on that is? Maybe the DC control breaker isn't working causing the solenoid not to retract? Any ideas on the most obvious things to check would be appreciated. I have the manual and will be doing some more work with it this weekend.

Last, any ideas on the throttle knob? Anyone know what I need to be looking at to make sure it is working properly?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Isaac-1

I can't help too much with this one, other than to say that broken throttle cables/knobs are a known common problem with this model.

Ike

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mitch, First check the buss fuse on the panel. It's for the 24V side. If it's blown it will not keep the solenoid open for the engine to run. Mine also had a bad cable. I got a new one from mikes gen parts on ebay. About $20. Also you can adjust the throttle linkage to run where you want it, with out the cable untill you get a new one.

jas67

Check this site out for the 4a032 engine problems (I'm assuming that's what you have).
Military 3kw 4A032 Engine Question.. - Generators & Motors General Discussion
The MEP-016B and MEP-701A (which is an MEP-016B w/ ASK) use a 1-cylinder Onan diesel engine, not the 4A032.

The entire genset (frame, gen head, control box, etc) is different than the 4A032 powered units. There is another MEP-016 variant, the MEP-016D, which is essentailly a MEP-016A/C re-powered with a Yanmar L70A single cyinder diesel engine.

yeehaa

Make sure there's enough fuel in the tank, otherwise the "low fuel" condition will cause the solenoid to extend and shut it down.

Blythewoodjoe

Just wondering if that is the steam cleaner they just sold on GSA that was out on Boston Ave? I have two 701A's here at the house I picked up a few months ago and neither seem to be putting out 24 volts. Mine will not run unless I have them slaved to a good 24 volt source. If you need to look at one to see if anything is missing, let me know. Both of mine seem to be very complete, but both batteries are dead and I suspect nothing will change that.

Good luck, Joe.

DeuceNewb

I just picked up one of these, and there is no throttle cable. It seems to have a solenoid that just puts it at full when turned on and there is no throttle adjustment. Is this right, and how long at a time can I run it?

NEIOWA

The MEP-016B and MEP-701A (which is an MEP-016B w/ ASK) use a 1-cylinder Onan diesel engine, not the 4A032.

The entire genset (frame, gen head, control box, etc) is different than the 4A032 powered units. There is another MEP-016 variant, the MEP-016D, which is essentailly a MEP-016A/C re-powered with a Yanmar L70A single cyinder diesel engine.

Any opinions which is a better option - b or d model?

I suspect the Yanmar MEP016D is to be prefered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks