• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

srodocker's "little" project

ABN173

Ok WoW I’m starting this thread for Scott (aka SRODOCKER) since I took the pictures. If I could sum up today’s project in one phrase it would be the one about biting off more than you could chew! ……..well it was not so bad but PVT Murphy was there for a bit in the beginning. We had a Craftsman Sand Blaster kit that was clearly not up to the task even once we got to work properly. So it was mostly air powered wire brush and my DeWalt grinder with a sanding disc along with some good old fashioned elbow grease working with non-powered scrapers to get the rough spots cleaned up.

I remember now why we used to just cut old soft tops off because it is a REAL pain to get it out of the channel properly. I was quiet surprised as his top went on not to long ago and you could see the grease on the ends still from when they put it on. We spent most of the day doing prep work with some still remaining but we did get two coats of the bed liner “rust oleum” brand put down in the cab. Scott’s Grandfather was great he kept us well fed with some awesome food.

Not to mention he was in the service too so he had some stories for us. I want to thank the women who grudgingly supported us all day: Scott’s GF Danielle, my Wife and Daughter (who kept wanting to leave to play with friends back at home, although she too let us work for the most part), also Scott’s Aunt (I think?) who put up with us doing all this in her front yard!

Guys if anyone wants to help Scott tomorrow I think he plans on spraying the first coat tomorrow. I can’t help because I have a Distant Learning computer course I have to finish by next Wednesday. I told him we should taking a bunch of pictures showing what GREAT time we were having and post em up! (hoping for the “Tom Sawyer effect” for those of you that don’t understand Tom acted like he was having so much fun painting a fence….pretty soon he had all his friends lining up for a turn to help) Anyways Scott could use a hand or two for sure because a deuce is a lot of truck! Especially to prep by hand……….stupid sand blaster!

Also I was able to talk to Scott more than I have in the past and discovered that he worked two jobs in order to buy his Deuce so I give him mad props.....not to many younger guys have that kind of drive and determination!
Great Job Scott!

-Dale

Attachments

Last edited:

srodocker

DALE! thanks so much for today. also your girls for keeping sane by sitting in the durango. man the weather was super nice and im sitting there in my sand blasting attire hahah. what about the metal shavings in your hair ha. yea got the second coat of rhino line in and it looks nice! cant wait to go back out tomorrow. i should be good on people tomorrow as my uncle, dad, and my grandpa are going to help. i'll write more tonight as im super tired so im going to take a nap for a little.

Josh: you can have the ones on the hardtop there just like it i think

how long did we work dale?

"weve been here 9 hours!" hahahha

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Great pics Dale, you guys are definately not in Graham. Unless these was some massive flooding recently that requires a ferry ride:p What a great day to paint. Luckily he will have the same great weather for at least a week or two:)

ABN173

Scotty, you need to get some wider regular masking tape 2-2.5" wide and a few razor blades to trim with, some of the prep up needs a touch up before you spray...

Last edited:

ABN173

i'll write more tonight as im super tired so im going to take a nap for a little.

how long did we work dale?

"weve been here 9 hours!" hahahha
Yeah I'm beat too, I wish I could just go to sleep like that, I will probably be up for few hours more..........

oh and for everyone else when a certain GF had enough she said "we've been here for like nine hours" so every so often after that I'd toss a comment out like how long we been doing this Scott? its been like 10 hours! I think by the time I left I was saying it had been like 15 or something:p

ABN173

Looks great guys, keep the pics comin'!
Thanks Fuzzy T, I'm sure Scott or I one will be posting updates...

On a unrelated note I found out that my photo editor software was lost when I restored my Hard Drive so I discovered that Microsoft Office (Power Point) automatically resizes pics when you drag the arrow to make them smaller.
* you do have to right click and save the photo under another name though.......neat trick without much hassle

-Dale

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dale,
Great pics, story and a true friend indeed.

Scott,
What is the sun visor on the hard top off of?

AN/ARC186

Scott if you need a hand give me a yell, I'm home all day tomorrow
oh yeah, I found a bunch of the 1/4" stainless bolts, washers and nuts in a box in the barn so don't buy any for the hardtop, I got ya covered.
instead of going with the packard connectors for the dome light, wiper motors and clearance lights harness I've got a cannon plug and socket that should work perfectly.

srodocker

quarkz: the hardtop is fully enclosed including windows built into it. its all fiberglass and its a custom made one so the visor came with it so i'll see how it looks with it when im done painting.

dan: sweet thanks! yea i'll be driving it back with no top or i might run out to your place to grab them not sure yet. maybe sometime later this week.

and yea i went and took a "nap" ha i just woke up from that nap...

dale: yea im going to be buying some bigger tape and some plastic sheets today to cover the liner while i paint

srodocker

this is what "we've been out here 9hrs" means hehe. the gf was a trooper her and dale did tons of the work i sat and took it all in. 5hrs of sleep in 2 days was defiantly killing me. tons of sleep tonight tho. but it was on the floor as i sat down and passed out

Attachments

****, nine hours of paint prep in the WA sun gets you burnt to a crisp, and a "TinkerBell" tattoo. Your guys' sun is a lot more brutal than our OR sun. I mean, ours may fry us. But, I've never come back inside to discover I had a sun burn AND a tattoo. Count me out...

Last edited:

srodocker

hah yea she got burnt. and i couldnt have done aynthing to this truck or even know we can get these trucks without this site hahah. just picked up some more supplies and leaving on the next ferry boat at 9 :) another 5hrs and see where i end up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks