• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2010 SS Ga Rally Info thread

poppop

I am chiming in late because of a little lightning bolt that my puters did not like. I will be there with firewood, tomatoes, boiled peanuts and fresh ground grits for Breakfast. We converted a few Yankees last year on boiled peanuts and grits. It sounds like this will be the best ever Ga. Rally. I can't wait!!!!

RAYZER

Im going! it will be my 1st Ga rally! my wife wants to go also,she likes the woods in Ga. i want to build a camper out of a 109a3 box and part of a deuce frame for the event, i better get bussy! anyone have a 109 box they want to get ridd of?

Alredneck

Banned
:ditto:MMMMMMMM good! A lil greasy but that just makes it that much better! Cant beat a good Critter BBQ sack lunch! And this time of year as hot as it is, makes em all the more ripe! Man, I need a snack.

Jimma

Camping

I have not been to an event quite like this one. Is tent camping near my deuce okay? Will most people be spending the night camping and are thier toilets or showers near where we will be? I need to let my family know what to expect.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim, you didn't read post #1 completely did you? No worries. That post explains all your questions in detail but I'll summarize. Yep, you can camp near or in your duece. You won't be alone, a good portion of rally goers do the same, probably more than use the cabins. There is a bathhouse within a hundred or so meters so yes, showers are available. Last year they even put portalets out in our area for us. Cabins and rental trailers are just across the street if you feel the need. I really like camping but for this rally, I'm cabin bound!

zout

seeing how grits & critters are on the menu - I will bring along my UP (upper peninsula) croquet game:

it is a 16 lb sledge hammer and a balling ball and safety cones

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This story would best be told by JW4x4. Entering a McDonalds in the south. Jesse asks counter person "Yall serve grits?" JW responds "Jesse, they serve EVERYONE here!"
My story on grits.

Blythewoodjoe

Well guys I have reserved a cabin this year, and I hope to use it this time. I plan to leave the Columbia area Thursday morning and stay until Sunday morning. I can't commit to do anything at this point, but if things go well I would like to help out any way I can. The way my work goes I have found that it is hard to plan any time off with certainty. Having said that, I have tables and so many other things that I can bring if it all works out.

This year they are predicting a very bad hurricane season. I don't think that will effect the rally but in years past, we have taken equipment as far as Mississippi to do volunteer work. I hope we can all avoid any bad weather this year, but my point is between work and volunteer stuff this fall my be very busy, so I have to limit my commitments for fun..

I do have a plan and here it is. Drive the M813 with the M886 in tow. Load the M813 with anything I have that someone else might want. Set up before lunch on Thursday and spent the weekend doing what ever needs to be done. If you guys still need someone to help direct people at base camp, I would be very happy to help there. I can bring a few bags of my dads home ground grits and meal but I don't want to step on POPPOP's toes. You just don't mess with a mans grits. If all goes well I can bring a hundred pounds of ice too. As time gets closer I will think of other things.

So, is there going to be a thread on stuff to trade? I don't really have time read everything on here and having said that, it would nice if there was a couple of very specific threads on convoying, eating, trading, lodging and so forth. I find we often include info on threads like this, but it's sometimes hard to find it with all the other stuff. I am sure I will post a few dumb questions but I really have so little time right now to follow stuff on here.

I look forward to seeing all you guys in a few months.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, is there going to be a thread on stuff to trade? I don't really have time read everything on here and having said that, it would nice if there was a couple of very specific threads on convoying, eating, trading, lodging and so forth. I find we often include info on threads like this, but it's sometimes hard to find it with all the other stuff. I am sure I will post a few dumb questions but I really have so little time right now to follow stuff on here.
Perhaps. I do try and limit the amount of threads for the rally-I believe that it is confusing for some to have half a dozen threads for one event.

I recognize that this means the main thread (this one) for a rally may be long but we will probably trim some of the more conversational posts from the thread as the rally gets closer.

This is something new I am trying this year and if it works, great. If it doesn't work, I will create some additional threads for the rally and link them back here.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here's one more thought. If it is possible and easy to do, you might consider editing the first post of this thread with vital (very loose use of that word) info, such as short statements like who is in what cabin (if people want to know) or how is heading up different jobs.
I have been doing that as updates occur-I create a new post that bumps the thread to the top and I edit post #1. That way you catch both audiences. When tennmogger agreed to run commo and squirt truck agreed to run trailrides, I added their names to the first post, etc.

Also, please feel free to delete any post I put up that doesn't contain vital info for all. I think that would really shorten the threads. Half the time I post something, it might only need to be seen by one or two people and after they know, it's just clutter. PM's would be better sometimes, but that clogs some of our in boxes.
I am going to pm anyone whose post I delete to make sure they understand what's going on.

Again, just a thought. For the pay you guys get, I think you do a great job and I for one appreciate it all.
We're getting paid?!

Thanks. :D We appreciate the kind words.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, if you branch out into miltiple threads, do the article entry like last year linking to all of the threads. You know what I'm talking about, the link that stays atop the main page?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto, if you branch out into multiple threads, do the article entry like last year linking to all of the threads. You know what I'm talking about, the link that stays atop the main page?
That's a Mangus580 thing and it creates a minor issue*, but I will talk to him.

*If we want the sticky up at the top of the forum, then it will mean we have to move the main (this) thread over to the upcoming events forum or something like that and it will no longer be in the list of new threads on the front page.

I don't know if "threads" like this can be converted into "articles". I remember when writing last year's info thread that it was referred to as an article.

Blythewoodjoe

I went back and read the first post and realized some of what I was suggesting was already there. I hate to admit it, but I'm one of those people that look for key words in a thread that might provide me the info I want and skip over stuff. That don't always work. Anyway I for one have deleted a post I made earlier today and I plan to delete this one later because it will not provide useful info for others. I guess I am suggesting that others do the same thing. In an informative thread like this, much of what we talk about (or BS about) is useless as the thread gets long and then someone looking for info finds there is too many post to read them all in detail. Lets face it, our time would be better used getting our trucks ready for the rally. Anyway I find a lot of post are fine for a few days but then they could be deleted without losing any real contribution to the thread. Some folks get upset when someone else deletes something they feel is worthwhile so...... jump in and delete it yourself.

Again, just a thought, that will deleted in a few days when I feel it no longer has real value.

poppop

Blythewoodjoe, my toes are tough. Lets keep in touch because my grits are still growing in the field. We are getting our first good rain in three weeks as I am typing this. That should assure grits for the Rally but it never hurts to have a back-up plan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks