• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allis Chalmers Model 7000 diesel engine

AtomicHillbilly

Does anyone have info on an Allis Chalmers model 7000 engine (not a model 7000 tractor)? I saw a couple on GL but can't seem to find any information on them. Are they forklift motors or generator power units?

I am looking for specs like physical size, weight, etc. I think I read somewhere they are ~300 ci so I am assuming this is a big motor.

Eventually, I am hoping to find a diesel powerplant for my Jeep CJ. I think the AC motor is probably going to be too big and too heavy, but just curious.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Jairus

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try an Cummins 4BTA you can get about any thing for it adapter plate from DESTROKE.com
& cummins has all parts avaible when needed.

AtomicHillbilly

I thought about the Cummins- its just they are so expensive. From what I have read, there is also a vibration problem associated with using them to power a vehicle. Not balanced well or something. I would like to find an engine on GL I could shoehorn into the Jeep. The GM 6.2 will fit in a CJ engine bay- but of course you have to beef up the front suspension (lol- and the rest of the vehicle) to handle the weight and torque. Some of those aircooled diesels are pretty interesting, not sure how well they would work in a vehicle though.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well read on but they are wrong the vibration problem comes from having no dampener on it I used one from an 5.9 cummins & rear fly wheel & mounted motor mount on the side
block as same 5.9L It took care of 95% of the problem.
AS of expense I bought an P van just for parts & scraped it out later I only had $680.00
in engine & trans rad /exhaust.
It was worth the money.
Engine kits to rebuild is 700.00 for over haul kit or less.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been around AC equipment all my life (my grandad was a dealer). I've never heard of a 7000 engine. It could be some sort of very large engine they made that I'm not fimilar with.

You say around 300cid? The only AC engines that I'm aware of in that size range are the 301cid 2800 (naturally aspirated) and 2900 (turboed) engines. They also produced a higher horsepower (water to air innercooler) version of the 301cid engine but the number escapes me at the moment (it wasn't 7000 but was used in the 7020 tractor). the 301cid engines produced between 75-120 hp in stock form.

I've got tons of old AC product literature. I dig through it and see what else I can come up with.

Last edited:

AtomicHillbilly

It is a turbo'ed 4 cyl. I read on another forum (for the life of me I can't find it now) it was ~300 cid as I mentioned earlier. A 5l 4cyl is going to be one torquey motor- but I doubt it has much of a top end. It probably came from a big generator or similar. Could be a backhoe or dozer I suppose.

Last edited:

dozer1

I think the approximate dimensions and weight are listed right there in the auction. ( The link of which I dont think you were supposed to post) I havent heard of the 7000 engine either but I am a JD guy. Some google searching found a rebuild kit for it on e-bay for 920.00. It says its 301 cid and one of the 2900 series plants.

KsM715

Not to be a party pooper but , no, its not ok to post that link. Please remove it. (as per the steelsoldiers forum rules)

Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.

AtomicHillbilly

Not to be a party pooper but , no, its not ok to post that link. Please remove it. (as per the steelsoldiers forum rules)

Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.

I sincerely apologize for the obvious inconvenience I have caused. I am removing the link because you are right about the rules. I feel like I am always walking on ice in this forum. It really does hamper one's efforts to become part of the community.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a turbo'ed 4 cyl. I read on another forum (for the life of me I can't find it now) it was ~300 cid as I mentioned earlier.
All the 301cid 2800/2900 engines are 6 cylinder so that rules them out.

dozer1, I bet that google search turned up a rebuild kit for a 7000 tractor (which would be a 301cid series engine).

dozer1

It appears you are right m16ty. Try as I may not to mix that up , I just didnt have enough coffee in me yet this morning I guess. I searched a little more and found this on another forum, so I have no idea if it is fact or not, but here is what I got. "The model 7000 engine is a 4 cyl, 4.56 bore x 5.62 stroke = 344 cu.in. max hp. 150 used by const. in T-16, TL-16, HD6AG, 7G, M70. It was turboed."

And relax AtomicHillbilly. This is a great forum with an awesome bunch of members. I have enjoyed your posts. Just a quick reading of those rules from time to time to refresh the memory helps me out. Anyone can have a lil slip once in awhile..

supermechanic

That engine is the 344 Buda. Allis Chalmers has been using them since the '50's
Buda is still in business, they make big industrial and stationary engines.
I have this engine in my hd6 'dozer. (mine is a bit older, and no turbo, slightly different design on the cylinder head also.)
it is massive.
maybe 1800 pounds.
too big for a jeep

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buda is not still in business. Allis Chalmers bought them out in the 1950s. When they bought them the re-badged the Buda engines AC and built engines in old Buda plant in Harvey,IL until AC went out of business in 1985.

There is a outfit called "Buda Engine Company" out of LA but all they do is service old Buda and AC engines. They have no connection with the original Buda company.

orangeman

More on HD 344 Buda, 6000 and 7000 Engines

Good morning guys:

Thought I would add that the 7000 AC engine originally started life with the Buda Engine company as the HD-344 engine. When AC crawlers could no longer be supplied with Detroit Engine, AC acquired Buda and rebadge and reengineered them to use in AC Crawlers and Loaders.

The HD-344 used the Lanova Combustion Chamber Design while the 6000 engine was a non turbo direct injection and the 7000 engine - still at 344 cu. inches became a turbo motor producing over 100 horsepower.

Here is a little bit of interesting AC history, the Allis Chalmers HD 6(Military) was sold to the Department of Defense. Not sure where they were used, am guessing perhaps Vietnam as the manual is dated 1964.

Anyone on here have any pearls of wisdom on the AC HD6 M Crawler Tractor? I have a DOD manual on the machine but can't find it at the moment. Wife relocated my machinery library and changed things around.

I have seen one photo of the HD6M that was refurbished and was sitting in a museum somewhere.

I always liked the look of the early HD6's with the swept back hood, one awesome and durable machine. Last HD6 produced was a Fiat Allis badged machine in late 1974. Primary production period being between 1955 and 1974.

Hope this is of use. Orangeman

orangeman

Buda/Allis Chalmers HD-344, 6000 and 7000 Turbo Engine

Guys: Am hoping to gain your insights on the Buda/Allis Chalmers Engines noted above.

Did the HD-344 get used in any Marine application like tugs or small freighters.

I know the 7000 Engine was hooked to a generator but I forgot the name of the company that made the generators. The Allis Chalmers 7000 DI Turbo Engine was used on military generators - does anyone have the name of the company that built the generators.

Thanks a bunch and have a wonderful fall....Orangeman:grin:

Danger Ranger

This is a lot of fun useful info on the AC 7000 engine or such like.

As to the Jeep engine replacement, try the 4bt, or look into the newer quieter version called the QSB. The 4bts are vibratory, but that can be fixed as stated. They have been put into just about everything that moves, unless it is big enough for a 6bt....hahaha.

That little diesel would still make me want to reinforce the Jeep and frame. But suspension should be looked at too.

orangeman

Hello Echo 11: Yes that is the engine. The engine I am working on took a huge gulp of water when the prior owner had the machine. You know the rest, cylinders filled up and for some odd reason they couldn't get the engine started. I pulled the head and found much erosion in the combustion chamber another indication that the machine was run with poor fuel.

The early HD-344 used a Lanova combustion chamber with the injectors mounted in the side of the Intake. American Bosch was the source AC used for the Injectors and Injection Pump.

I am looking for sources were I can scavange some good engine parts, head, radiator, injectors, oil bath air cleaner without going to the bank to give them my first born son. Hoping to find applications for the early HD-344 other than the venerable AC HD6.

Appreciate any insights. Thanks guys...Orangeman:driver:

orangeman

just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone recalls the manufacturer of the military gen set that use the Allis Chalmers 7000 Turbo Diesel Engine.

Any comments very much appreciated! Orangeman

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks