• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New M37

STSCSS

Well I was at the same auction as GoNorth and I bought the other M37. She wasn’t my first pick as she had bald tires (ok the cords where showing) leaky radiator and a top from some other larger military truck. After I won the bid (thanks GoNorth) she looked better than the prom queen back in high school. I asked Pat the previous owner what would be the best way to get her going and all he said was “new points and a condenser is all you need”
So after loading up GoNorths trucks and helping him get them home it was my turn (Thanks again I still owe you that cold one!) to get my new truck home.
Well I tried to start her and alas even with the good 91 octane gas from fleet farm (no ethanol or additives) it was a no go. So it was off to MWM and John who was a great help with new plugs, sparkplug wires and points rotor, cap and condenser. Since this was my first truck that I have ever worked on (no kidding dad owned a car dealership and in the Navy I was a sonar tech) I was eager to work on a truck that the common man could fix with common tools.
(That and the fact that my understanding wife was calling it a lawn ornament)
Pulling the distributor and replacing the points and setting the gap was easy thanks to John B’s tips after priming and a quick prayer she started right up for a quick trip around the block. It was then I discovered that the brakes where not up to stuff in fact missing all together. That and a wiring harness that looks like the poster child for a electrical tape ad means I have a little work ahead of me.

I will post more pictures tomorrowwith the correct top

I think I am going to name the truck BOAT (Brake Out Another Thousand) as I start adding up the cost to fix her right the first time. Not cheap but well worth it.

Questions I have for the group are: 1. What parts are must haves as ready service spares. 2. Besides the fuel pumps what else are hard to find items? 3. Sources for label plates? And lastly as I get ready to buy my second M37 is there a group up in southern Minnesota that meets and shows off their MV’s.
Thanks in adavance

Attachments

gunboy1656

Pretty nice looking truck, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you get it for?

When it comes to the cost of owning one, never pay attention to how much. You will not like the answer. But it is a very fun hobby, and a lot cheaper then others.

MVdataplates will have the plates you need.

STSCSS

Restoring trucks are always more expensive than buying them!
Changed the oil today and had my own BP spill on the driveway due to not bing quick enough with the pan.

Cleaned out the filter cup and put the new filter in and of course took her for a test spin around the block Oil pressure was about 80 PSI and out of the blue the brakes started working again. Tested the E brake and it held.

Still going to replace the brake system. Thanks again pwrwagonfire for the great pics they are going to help out this weekend.

I put some new picture up showing the truck with the correct canvas. what a differance!

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the purchase, I talked to you at the auction (My wife bought the coot). Why buy another M37? You should try a different M37 varient and get the collection really going![thumbzup]

STSCSS

Thanks,
The second M37 will be for my other son. I want to get a bobbed duce sommer or later. then I will need to build a bigger shed!

pwrwagonfire

STSCSS, anytime no problem!

I have been dealing with Memphis Equipment quite a bit, and I love them. Probably a tiny bit more expensive, but when you call you can talk to a real mechanic not just a salesman, and they have been able to answer quite a few of my technical questions no problem...friendly guys too!

I got a complete set of pre-bent brake lines from vintage power wagons this winter, they have a set specifically for the M-37. I have not installed it yet (next project) but if you think your lines are dry rotted, I'd replace them and the soft hoses. Better safe than sorry!

BOAT....I like that, :grin:

STSCSS

Got the seatbelts in so I can take the kids in the truck. The brakes are getting better each day but wont know untill I get the drums off and take a look the proir owner was a mecahnic and so the may be in pristine shape mechanlly but ???

M-37Bruce

Question Is the water temp sensor resistance based? trying to troubleshoot why it is not working
Nice catch STSCSS, Congrats,
It's probable mechanical, (gland) threaded into the rear of the head. Just behind the dipstick is the location of mine temp gland. (shiny brass knipple)
The bracket hold the Standard Military Purolator Oil Filter. (not installed at the moment as well as the starter) AB Linn is in Salisbury, NC (another parts supplier)

Attachments

Last edited:

STSCSS

Thanks for the point out.

Now the bad news on the way home from work my 37 has seem to sprung a leak from the Radiator (ok it is more like a rush of steam) now the search is on for a good radiator repair shop (Dillions in Rochester MN?) Has anybody found a source for radiators?
I know if I fix it right the first time then I will not have to bother with it for a very long time.

BTW, The folks at work loved the truck and I found out that a co worker has two M37's so it seems like if you have one they attract others.

STSCSS

Took the truck to work on Monday and discovered that there is a slight radiator problem. now I will need to get the radiator recored due to how bad it is clogged up and the the copious amount of steam released from the core on the way home. Will also have to get the thermostat replaced. (anybody know a good radiator shop???)

Picked up the new correct military tires from Adamson Motors here in Rochester MN. Took the tires off tonite and are going to get them mounted tomorrow. Gives me a great chance to work on the brakes and follow in pwrwagonfires footsteps.

Sunday I just had to see how much the old 37 hadi n her. So I hooked her up to the old basketball hoop which was a 3 inch iron pipe set in a 15X15X 36 chunk of concrete and gave it a little tug. lo behold it came out quite nicely. I have enclosed a picture of the chunk of concrete being moved as well a the truck sans tires.

Now to get the wife to give me a little time this weekend

Attachments

Last edited:

M-37Bruce

That is some "boat anchor"! What about your temp gauge? I'll check the list and find out the # for the thermostat.
BTW, The "List" is over on the Robi's g-741 page.

STSCSS

Well the drums are off and the shoes are off and I have the slave cylinders are off. My wife officially can call the boat a lawn ornament due to the complete lack of mobility (radiator is out also for recoring).
The brake drums are at Scharf Auto for removal of some sizable groves and hopefully they will still be in spec afterwards. So far the first two are still in spec (14.220) but Walt has gone through 3 cutters due to chatter on the lathe.
Discovered why the brakes where not working, the shoes had frozen in place to the point where the slaves could not push them. I had to use a hammer to loosen them up to remove them. The only way was to pull the c washer off. Any tips on removing the bolt?
Brake lines come off tomorrow, going to power wash the undercarriage before removal as there is 40 years of gunk. Then remove the lines and power wash again before installation of the new ones. Prime and paint also. Here is some pictures of the progress so far:

Attachments

txm37

Great looking truck. When I rebuilt the brakes on my M37 I found that I was able to get all of the parts from my local NAPA. Saved a bit of cash that way. I think the wheel cylinder kits are NAPA up-2. Also the civilian power wagon master cyilider is basicly the same. The only difference is the top which is vented to the intake. The tops can be switched easily to save a few more bucks yet still stay authentic.

Capt.Marion

If you want USA-made wheel cylinders and master cylinders for a deal (if you choose not to rebuild), AB Linn in North Carolina carries them, and almost every other Dodge part you'll need. John Bizal at Midwest Mil is a pretty straight guy, too, and probably closer to you.

Looks good! If anything, at least the brake system on the M37s is simpler than dirt. Check and see if your flex brake hoses are swollen shut, as well. If you can bleed the brakes, they're fine. If not, they can be had from either of the above sources as well.

Keep it up!

STSCSS

Quick question: will the Krylon OD Green spay paint provide good rust protection in the wheel area? I want to use that since when I degreased the drums it also removed the paint that was protecting the mountings of the cylinder and shoes. I will be also using it on the undercarriage as the previous owner missed a couple of spots.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks