• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New M37

Oldfart

If you could post a picture or two it might help to make some suggestions. What type of easyout broke? The 4 flute style are easier to break, but they are a little easier to work out with someting like thin needle nose pliers. The spiral type easy out is a bit more difficult. ~~ Heat might be helpful to soften the easyout to make it easier to drill. A good left hand drill bit with a reversing drill might also help to work the easyout out of the hole. ~ Until you get the easyout removed and most of the broken bolt, it is previous to talk about repairing the bolt hole, but one can over size the hole to the next larger bolt and tap in new threads. Or better yet make a repair with heli-coils.

Milbikes

I know a shop here in CT that does a lot of broken tap and broken extractor removal from engines and other items. Sadly, the engine must be brought to them. I believe it is some type of EDM (electrical discharge machining) process.

I hate screw extractors, having broken a few back in my old VW days. I prefer drilling with sequentially larger drill bits, and getting as much of the stud or bolt out that way, then using a tap to clean the hole out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks